Hunting your home inside and out?

Mama2Twins

Forum Supporter
I need info searching a house built in 1950, on property that was once part of a horse farm next. It is also next to a stone wall. What are a few tips to finding stashed money inside and outside the home? If money was stored in a hardwood floor, wall, etc., what would be signs of it? Did many people stash their valuables during 1950s, 1960s, 1970s? What are signs of good places to look outside? (tree types, foliage, etc)

Now that it is getting colder, I would like to try my luck indoors. Can you really use your detector in walls, etc? I know this is a little out there.. I just thought it might be fun to keep the hunting going during the winter and I also am giving my son his first detector next week for his birthday.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. I really appreciate your help!

Under steps, crawl spaces, hollow walls, in clothing, in the duct work, under fence posts outside, under or near large stones to name a few places...

Chances are your detector will go crazy in a building with all the metal around a home. Plumbing lines,rebar,electrical etc. Might be tough I would say....

Good luck with that, I live on a property that was est in the 1930's, burned and rebuilt, I figured I would find all kinds of old coins since no one gets to remove their valables before a fire.
What I am finding is that the lazy sobs just buried every thing left of the burnt house, even against building codes, so I don't have more than 3 inches of signal free land, in which are nails, and screws and bolts and car parts and gas pipe parts and more nails, than I find more nails, than even after a month, I find more nails, bolts, screws and did I mention nails? I did find a quarter that I dropped.

The reason I dare ask is the house was bought from an estate of an old lady. Her son died accidentally in the yard prior. I have horse bones, horseshoes, relics of bicycle. Old fencing wire, pottery, etc. did I mention revolutionary war took place here?

Also very old maple trees in backyard, with signs of scarring. The trees are along the stone wall. So I guess, there are 2 factors that I think may reveal something.

If you DO hunt inside, you could take the coil off, duct tape it to your hand, and mount the detector box on your belt...so you can just run your hand along the wall with the coil attached. :)

As stated, probably too much metal with nails, conduit, ducts etc, but if you want to, do it!

Good luck with that, I live on a property that was est in the 1930's, burned and rebuilt, I figured I would find all kinds of old coins since no one gets to remove their valables before a fire.
What I am finding is that the lazy sobs just buried every thing left of the burnt house, even against building codes, so I don't have more than 3 inches of signal free land, in which are nails, and screws and bolts and car parts and gas pipe parts and more nails, than I find more nails, than even after a month, I find more nails, bolts, screws and did I mention nails? I did find a quarter that I dropped.

Long ago I had two very old gentlemen on two different occassion tell me similar stories about how way back when they were little people use to hide their money outside the home in the ground usually marked by a tree or some kind of marker (and here is the key) a distance away from the house that was at least as far away as the tallest wall so that if there was a fire and the walls collapsed they could still get to ther stash. I have always wonded if that was true or folk lore. Only reason it peaked my curiosity is two different people who liley did not know each other told me very similar stories. Anyone ever heard of anything like that. These we guys were in the Pennsylvania area.

I always think of hiding money as something being done during the great depression, with the whole "banks are going belly up" thing.

If you do look, keep your disc above iron, or every little nail and screw is gonna beep. Copper wire will probably show up too.

You can always explore the house for a hidden panel or hole in the floor. I've seen some older houses that had a hidden floor or hole in the wall they stashed valuables in.

A lot of the "granny hid a jar of money behind a tree" legends are just that...a legend. I always hear about people finding buried jars of money, but I have YET to of seen one.

After the depression, a lot of people got fire safes. It's really dumb to store your money in a wall or floor. If the house burns down, your paper money is going to be ashes, and your coins may end up in a melted blob of gunk from an object that melted on it.

Wow! Thank you for all of the input. If I find that buried jar of money I will let you know... :lol:

UV black-lights are supposed show where walls were touched up or repainted, but if the house has been remodeled it would not do any good if the touched up and original paint were covered. They have UV flashlights for $5-10 on amazon.com and dealextreme.com.

UV black-lights are supposed show where walls were touched up or repainted, but if the house has been remodeled it would not do any good if the touched up and original paint were covered. They have UV flashlights for $5-10 on amazon.com and dealextreme.com.

Interesting, I do have two UV lights. Thank you

someone told me about the "common practice" of depression era (and probably earlier) folks hiding rolled up bills, coins, jewelry, etc., into holes that were augered into the tops of solid wood doors.
so now whenever i am in an abandoned home i'll run my fingers along the tops of all doors to find any holes they may have...and hopefully find a long forgotten cache

If it has a fire place, look up inside on the fire shelf, and see if it has anything laying on it. Next at the fire place look behind the mantel, for paper and coins that drop off of the mantel shelf. Then if it has crawl space, crawl to the base of the fire place and check it out. The last thing would to look out the windows and door ares, if anything was buried it will be so that the person that buried it could look and see the area from the house. Other things in the country, would be a large thing, that would catch you eye, many would place things there, especially after the depression. Any old outhouse would be a good place to hunt and dig up. Now go find it. (:-O) Good luck.
Also, look inside the bath room walls, if you can. Oh, one down hear found paper money in the walls in brown bags and ceilings, over a half million. The only reason they found it, was a fire in the abandon house and the fire department knot it loose.

someone told me about the "common practice" of depression era (and probably earlier) folks hiding rolled up bills, coins, jewelry, etc., into holes that were augered into the tops of solid wood doors.
so now whenever i am in an abandoned home i'll run my fingers along the tops of all doors to find any holes they may have...and hopefully find a long forgotten cache

That is great!

I'm liking the Garrett Pin Pointer idea.. for in the house..

Long story how it got there but a friend of mine had a room mate that had left a brown bag in the closet. My friend was putting new wall to wall carpet in. He went to the closet and found a brown bag which he almost threw out with other junk. Opened it up and found 70,000 grand. He gave it back to the renter. Hum? You just never know? :shock:

If it has a fire place, look up inside on the fire shelf, and see if it has anything laying on it. Next at the fire place look behind the mantel, for paper and coins that drop off of the mantel shelf. Then if it has crawl space, crawl to the base of the fire place and check it out. The last thing would to look out the windows and door ares, if anything was buried it will be so that the person that buried it could look and see the area from the house. Other things in the country, would be a large thing, that would catch you eye, many would place things there, especially after the depression. Any old outhouse would be a good place to hunt and dig up. Now go find it. (:-O) Good luck.
Also, look inside the bath room walls, if you can. Oh, one down hear found paper money in the walls in brown bags and ceilings, over a half million. The only reason they found it, was a fire in the abandon house and the fire department knot it loose.

I like those ideas, especially the one about looking out of the windows. Using the propointer is right on.

Back
Top Bottom