Coinstar Police?

Jeepfreak81

We had to hit some store's this morning for a couple doorknobs, some groceries, etc etc. So on the way out of the grocery store I looked and the reject tray of their Coinstar had a dime, nickel, and three Zincolns in it. Nothing special but hey, it was a free 18 cents. Then it was across the parking lot to Wally world, so on the way in I looked and two Washingtons were sitting in the tray. Grabbed those quick and tucked them in my pocket. Then as we got in the door there was a store employee standing there on his fancy radio asking about the coinstar machine. He didn't stop me so I ignored it. I was the only one in the vestibule so I figured he must have seen my grab the booty. :D

When we checked out we noticed they had the machine open and another customer standing there so it may have just been a coincidence that he was radioing about the machine. BUT,it got me wondering. How many of you have been stopped and/or questioned by employees while retrieving reject tray treasures? What was the outcome? What recourse do they have? I mean there's nothing illegal about picking up change that somebody left behind.

Thoughts?

use to be shy about it but hey ,most of my more interesting finds this year have been from coinstars .

Nothing illegal about it, have done it myself once or twice. From what I understand, we’re in competition with the panhandling homeless camping out near the coinstar. Hope there’ve been no skirmishes! :lol:

/s

Never been stopped,
If they were cleaning the machine out,
(Being opened ) you should have gone back and asked them if you could
get $ 200 dollars worth of quarters ?
(like coin roll hunting) I saw a utube video, where a guy did that &
found a few silver quarters.
So maybe a few silver do get accepted ?:?:

Never been questioned but felt pretty obvious when I was scooping this big batch out:

picture.php

I have never been question by any of the employees but I have been almost ran over by them trying to get from the customer service counter to get their grubby little paws inside the machine first.

There is always someone that wants to be the hall monitor..Coinstar pays WM for the space in the store, WM has nothing to do with Coinstar machines. The only obligation they have is if it is being broken into or being damaged. Ignore them.

Never have been questioned but I always feel a bit weird looking at the machines unless I am passing directly by it for other business... so I don't check all that often.

Never have been questioned but I always feel a bit weird looking at the machines unless I am passing directly by it for other business... so I don't check all that often.
I knew a guy who worked for the city back in the days of pay phones and he would check every one in town as he went about his duties looking for change. I've never even seen a coinstar. I don't understand what raiding them has to do with metal detecting, but if people like doing it, enjoy.

I feel weird checking it also but I do it anyway.How do you pull out 20 or 30 coins out without looking like a half mad packrat???, just in case I ever see a hoard lol.

What's in your wallet ?

You mean you don't need a license to check Coinstar reject trays ???? :laughing::laughing::laughing: (just kidding :lol:)
Mud_coinstar_sneak2police.jpg
(Mud tried to sneak to check the Coinstar without anyone noticing ! :lol:)

Mud at coinstar

You mean you don't need a license to check Coinstar reject trays ???? :laughing::laughing::laughing: (just kidding :lol:)
View attachment 413591
(Mud tried to sneak to check the Coinstar without anyone noticing ! :lol:)

I try to roll my grocery cart right in front of the machine blocking the view then slide my hand in the reject tray as i go by . You can get it down to a smooth move and no one the wiser. Some times i will stop and adjust my grocery bags in front of it if i need a little longer. Lately no good scores on the Coinstar.

I really do not care who gives me the looks, if it's in there and I grab it! I do rather enjoy embarrassing the wife, she tends to get a little red faced!

I once found almost 2 dollars in change in a coin star machine at the grocery store as I was walking out. My wife asked what I was doing? I told her someone forgot to check the reject tray. She asked what I was going to do with the change I walked right over to the Salvation Army red kettle and gave it to them. Pay it forward.

Back
Top Bottom