US Army badge or?

StevenB

Just when I thought my front yard wasn't going to give up anything else I dug this. Looks to me like a US Army hat badge or similar, but the casting seems a bit crude so maybe it's a replica or a kid's badge? I don't know what kind of metal it is but it has a dull pewter-like sheen. There was a pin on the back but it's rusted away. Quarter (found on another recent hunt) shown for scale. Sorry for the poor photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20170601_204348703.jpg
    IMG_20170601_204348703.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 233
Yep! It's off of a great seal pin. Nice!

I'd say toy, as I agree it's too crude (diecast?), with extra material clinging to the edges. The number of stars in each row of the top portion should be in the pattern (from the top row down): 1,4,3,4,1. which doesn't appear to me me to be the case.

I'd say toy, as I agree it's too crude (diecast?), with extra material clinging to the edges. The number of stars in each row of the top portion should be in the pattern (from the top row down): 1,4,3,4,1. which doesn't appear to me me to be the case.

The star pattern seems correct, although they're closer to dots than stars. I also tend to think it's a replica because you would expect that an official badge would be better quality, but then again after several decades underground it's hard to tell.

It might depend on who made them at the time.images7WUS9ZIQ.jpg

untitled.jpg

Around the turn of the century they had devices about the same size that were used as collar insignia.

Back
Top Bottom