Found Two Wallets Metal Detecting

romyrome

Elite Member
a few months ago when we were having those huge swells from the storm down south i had found two wallets washed ashore that looked like they been in the ocean some time :shock: but to my surprise both had cards in them still ,Drivers License and Credit Cards and so i tried looking these people up and had no luck :( so i figured i would just mail them back the stuff to the address on there ID's , its been about two weeks since i mailed them off and i got a reply from one person thanking me for the return today and they said it was lost close to 3 years ago and they rewarded me with a 30 dollar movie gift card =) now i hope to hear from the other person cause i wonder how long theres was lost for :?: anyways thought i would share that cause i thought that was neat =)

Way to go! After finding one with fake ID's and a love sock I started dropping them off at the police station and let them figure it out. Cop that checked out the kids wallet I turned in said he knew the kids family and would return it. Bet that went over like a fart in church with his parents. Had a fake drivers license and he wasn't really 21:lol:

....., its been about two weeks since i mailed them off and i got a reply from one person thanking me for the return today and they said it was lost close to 3 years ago and they rewarded me with a 30 dollar movie gift card =).........

Nice one, well done. Did the person say how they lost it ?

Once while detecting in ablarge wooded park in Norway, I found a briefcase full of documents and a hi tek casette recorder. I contacted the owner and when I returned it, he confirmed it had been stolen. He also told me that there had been cash in it and demanded that I Give him the cash also!!! Of course, the thief had removed that before he dumped the briefcase.

Like the old saying goes - "no good deed goes unpunished "

I once found a huge pocket book in the middle of the road. This thing had every financial thing the woman had, check book, many cards, cash .When I got home my wife and looked in it to find the owner. We called her and she came over with her daughter. I hand it to her at my front door and explained. I said you're in luck, it still got your cash and cards in the wallet. I said I had to go through the wallet to find her ID. The look on her face when I said I went through it! She starred at her daughter, a fairly attractive girl at 20something, with a look like --What should we do? The daughter then reached out for the purse and said thanks. Off they went leaving us nothing but a crappy feeling and uncomfortable to say the least. I didn't care about monetary rewards but a little grateful sentiment would have done.

Never again!!! Next time I'm taking the cards and ordering a month Expensive vacation in an exclusive resort. I'll spend the cash and give my grand kids all the makeup! I'll cut the leather purse up and make a fancy sheath for my lesche after I return from the carabean!!
ok I'm kidding ,,,,,but at least you got a decent human being with your experience.
Tin

Lots of Deja Vu there romyrome.
While fishing in the surf at Ocean Shores, Washington a few years ago, I noticed something in the exposed sand as the water went back out.
I retrieved the article and found it to be a cloth card holder and coin purse.
The reason it was still in the surf was because the coin purse held a number of German coins, was filled with sand, and very heavy.
I took the bill fold back to the camper, washed out the sand and found several credit cards issued by American Express, a International Drivers License and a small amount of currency in Canadian bills.
I took the bill fold to a Ranger Station in the Olympic National Park and turned it over to them. They suggested I keep the bill fold since the chance of finding a owner was slight at best.
I insisted they keep the bill fold and attempt to find the owner.
Several weeks after this I received a letter postmarked with some city in Germany.
Using the number off the credit cards, paid hotel bills and National Park Service registrations, the German tourists was tracked to the Canadian Border, where they had flown out of Vancouver back home to Germany.
The bill fold, along with the currency and credit cards was returned via National Park Service mail.
No financial reward, but definitely a feel good experience just the same.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT Hand held

Any money in the wallets?

Good return on both!

Nice one, well done. Did the person say how they lost it ?

Thanks Everyone it was A nice feeling it was my 3rd return , my 1st and 2nd were cell phones one with a pile of money i also returned =) but this was a good feeling and neat to learn the story behind the loss , the guy was swimming and lost his keys and wallet =( weird to swim with those things but hey i been drunk and jumped in the ocean in my clothes lol and no there was no money in them lots of sand but no money .

romyrome, interesting story. Perhaps those wallets had been in the dry sand, and then knocked out during the erosion ? Because otherwise, I can't imagine much being left of any wallet that truly out there rolling in and out with the current and waves, for 3 yrs !

lytle78, your story reminds me of a wallet I found in a parking lot. Some soldier stationed at the nearby military base, I could tell from the ID. And it had something like $150 in it. I called the phone #'s, and they took messages for this soldier. However .......... months went by and I never got a call back. Even after trying several times, leaving multiple messages. Finally after 6 months, I figured the guy was never going to pick up his wallet, so I spent the $150 (yet still had the wallet). Lo & behold, one day, I get a call from this guy! He'd just returned from 6 months deployment over seas, and had only just then gotten the message upon return to the USA. He came over, and picked up his wallet. But I explained that I didn't have the cash right then. Had to make out a check for the dollar amount (as I didn't have any cash on me at that exact time). The entire time expecting at least a "thankyou" or "don't bother" or "make it for a lesser amount", etc... But no, I didn't even get a thankyou. He just waited as I made out the check, and left without a word. :mad:

romyrome, interesting story. Perhaps those wallets had been in the dry sand, and then knocked out during the erosion ? Because otherwise, I can't imagine much being left of any wallet that truly out there rolling in and out with the current and waves, for 3 yrs !

lytle78, your story reminds me of a wallet I found in a parking lot. Some soldier stationed at the nearby military base, I could tell from the ID. And it had something like $150 in it. I called the phone #'s, and they took messages for this soldier. However .......... months went by and I never got a call back. Even after trying several times, leaving multiple messages. Finally after 6 months, I figured the guy was never going to pick up his wallet, so I spent the $150 (yet still had the wallet). Lo & behold, one day, I get a call from this guy! He'd just returned from 6 months deployment over seas, and had only just then gotten the message upon return to the USA. He came over, and picked up his wallet. But I explained that I didn't have the cash right then. Had to make out a check for the dollar amount (as I didn't have any cash on me at that exact time). The entire time expecting at least a "thankyou" or "don't bother" or "make it for a lesser amount", etc... But no, I didn't even get a thankyou. He just waited as I made out the check, and left without a word. :mad:

Tom, I have had the same experience with two iphones that I have returned. No thank you, just take the phone and go. I won't bother wasting my time if I find another one. It is just good to know that romyrome got a thanks and small award for his time.

Tom, I have had the same experience with two iphones that I have returned. No thank you, just take the phone and go. I won't bother wasting my time if I find another one. It is just good to know that romyrome got a thanks and small award for his time.

A buddy of mine was detecting the beach one day. Some college kid who was playing volley-ball, came and asked him to help find a ring. My buddy agreed and walked half-way down the beach to where this bunch were playing beach volley-ball. They showed him the area where the ring had gone missing. So for the next 45 min, my friend carefully gridded and searched. Then he found it. Walked over to interupt their volley-ball game, to let the guy know. He snatched it out of the md'rs hand, says "cool". Puts it on, and goes back to playing volleyball. Not even so much as a thankyou! And my friend had left a good zone he'd wanted to detect in, to come way-down-the-beach to help. He'd have been happy with a thankyou. Wasn't even looking for a reward. Needless to say, it frosted his feathers :mad:

Some people are just plain rude but its still good to do the right thing ,dont let there rude response ruin your good Karma ,,,,Tom I found cards all in the surf as well and the wallets were thrashed and full of sand but the cards that were in them were snug in there so Idk & Jamflicker I returned a phone once too i found and he was maybe 14-15 and he was like mad i returned his phone his parents took him to my house the day i found it and i got no thank you no appreciation at all , i think he ditched it in hopes he would get a new one

Reminds me of the one gold ring return I did this summer. Tracked the guy down, was all excited to return his ring and NADA. Just a grim look on his face and a "where was it" Not even a thank you.

Luckily his sister said "you should detect my yard" I knew she didn't mean it but after his lackluster attitude, I went right over and looted her yard too! Found some silver coins and a cool Waldorf Astoria Sterling baby spoon :)

Back
Top Bottom