Saw the Memphis Belle yesterday (several pics!)

Ohiodigger

Elite Member
So I have been patiently waiting for this day and yesterday I finally got to see the warbird i have been obsessed with since I was 8 years old. It was a dream come true for me. Was also great because I was able to share it with my wife and kids. My 9 year old son is also a history buff(in training lol), and he especially has an interest in WWII. I wish my dad could have been made it a few more months, he would have loved it, he was a collector of military relics. Anyway enjoy the pics!!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1526777954305.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526777954305.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 167
  • FB_IMG_1526777946917.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526777946917.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 171
  • FB_IMG_1526777939059.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526777939059.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 165
  • FB_IMG_1526777965099.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526777965099.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 148
  • FB_IMG_1526777972076.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526777972076.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 138
  • FB_IMG_1526777979299.jpg
    FB_IMG_1526777979299.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 137
Must be the aeronautics museum at Wright Patterson AFB.

Yes sir....the National Museum of the Air Force.....they have been restoring her for years and had a big event for the unveiling. It coincided with the 75 anniversary of the Memphis Belles 25th bombing mission.

great story and great pictures.
I was there a few years ago with my two oldest, we stayed at Wright-Patt:D

Awesome 1

So I have been patiently waiting for this day and yesterday I finally got to see the warbird i have been obsessed with since I was 8 years old. It was a dream come true for me. Was also great because I was able to share it with my wife and kids. My 9 year old son is also a history buff(in training lol), and he especially has an interest in WWII. I wish my dad could have been made it a few more months, he would have loved it, he was a collector of military relics. Anyway enjoy the pics!!

She is a grand old girl, with great history. A couple of years ago my son wanted to surprise me when the Memphis Belle from the movie was at a local airport with a tour of the aircraft. He made up some excuse about finding some parts for his truck, but as soon as we started out I suspected where we were headed. I don't think he knew that I was aware it was in town. My father was a crew chief and my uncle was a belly gunner on the B17s. So when we got there, I said instead of a tour, how bout we take a ride in her ? His eyes got wide, he said seriously ? I'll tell you what, I paid through the nose but it was an experience of a lifetime. Great father n son time there. God bless all veterans who made the sacrifice. Mark

Attachments

• DSC01380.jpg
    DSC01380.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC01404.jpg
    DSC01404.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01398.jpg
    DSC01398.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01417.jpg
    DSC01417.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01414.jpg
    DSC01414.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 56
She is a grand old girl, with great history. A couple of years ago my son wanted to surprise me when the Memphis Belle from the movie was at a local airport with a tour of the aircraft. He made up some excuse about finding some parts for his truck, but as soon as we started out I suspected where we were headed. I don't think he knew that I was aware it was in town. My father was a crew chief and my uncle was a belly gunner on the B17s. So when we got there, I said instead of a tour, how bout we take a ride in her ? His eyes got wide, he said seriously ? I'll tell you what, I paid through the nose but it was an experience of a lifetime. Great father n son time there. God bless all veterans who made the sacrifice. Mark

That’s incredible!! I would die if I could fly in one.... Several years ago a B-17 and a B-24 was at our local airport and I went with my grandpa(he was an aircraft mechanic in WW2) and we got to go through them. But to get to fly in one would be a once in a lifetime experience. Thank you so much for sharing the photos, I really enjoyed it!

Glad you liked them

That’s incredible!! I would die if I could fly in one.... Several years ago a B-17 and a B-24 was at our local airport and I went with my grandpa(he was an aircraft mechanic in WW2) and we got to go through them. But to get to fly in one would be a once in a lifetime experience. Thank you so much for sharing the photos, I really enjoyed it!

I see our some of our passions run parallel. I grew up on those stories, watching Audie Murphy, 12 O'Clock High, knew all the spec's on the aircraft, friend or foe, wouldn't you know I wound up in air defense. The guys at work poked fun at me for paying so much for a 30 min. ride but I told them if I last long enough to be in a rocker where a trip to the bathroom for bodily functions is a victory, that money won't mean much, but that small glimpse of history I had will. If you get the chance don't hesitate. Most viewings offer rides if you ask. Good luck Mark

I am sort of six degrees separated from the pilot...Capt.(eventually Col.), Morgan.
My wife's aunt was married to Linda Morgan's brother, she was his last wife before he died.
Linda Morgan was also my mother in law's best friend and she is still alive and living here in Birmingham...and she is a real sweet lady.
We have some pictures around here that he inscribed and signed that my mother in law always cherished.

Last edited:
I am sort of six degrees separated from the pilot...Capt.(eventually Col.), Morgan.
My wife's aunt was married to Linda Morgan's brother, she was his last wife before he died.
Linda Morgan was also my mother in law's best friend and she is still alive and living here in Birmingham...and she is a real sweet lady.
We have some pictures around here that he inscribed and signed that my mother in law always cherished.

He was a hell of a pilot.... after his 25 mission over Germany, he flew 26 more in a B-29 over Japan!

Back
Top Bottom