First IHP and *almost* first gold

StevenB

Had a little time to dig after dinner so I went back to my next door neighbor's front yard just for the heck of it, figuring I had pulled all there is to pull. Wrong again! After digging about a half dozen memorial pennies, I dug my first ever IHP right next to the front walk, a nice 1897. Had to go about 6" deep for it and managed to scratch the reverse with my digger but I'm happy anyway. Also dug a brass Watermans fountain pen cap with a gold plated clip, not really a gold find but almost! The house is across the street from an elementary school; there is a modern building on the site but there's been a school there since 1917, so I'm sure there are more deep old coins lurking in the neighborhood.

Attachments

• IMG_20170518_214359.jpg
    IMG_20170518_214359.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 130
Had a little time to dig after dinner so I went back to my next door neighbor's front yard just for the heck of it, figuring I had pulled all there is to pull. Wrong again! After digging about a half dozen memorial pennies, I dug my first ever IHP right next to the front walk, a nice 1897. Had to go about 6" deep for it and managed to scratch the reverse with my digger but I'm happy anyway. Also dug a brass Watermans fountain pen cap with a gold plated clip, not really a gold find but almost! The house is across the street from an elementary school; there is a modern building on the site but there's been a school there since 1917, so I'm sure there are more deep old coins lurking in the neighborhood.

That's like a 1965 quarter is "almost a silver" LOL I hate those almosts. :)

Keep at it! You'll find one eventually.

That's a nice first IHP.
I love finding these, the design is one of my favorites!
My first (which I'm still cleaning) didn't look half as good as that!
Also, funny thing I probably searched the area 2-3 times before finding it. Was a broken signal in a lot of iron.

I see a lot of people say, "hunted out" parks or something along those lines.
Although I'm new, I'm kind of a nonbeliever, seeing how my mothers small 1 acre lot keeps surprising me with cool finds each and every time.
It's like that say, you just never know!

Good luck with the rest of your endeavors!

Last edited:
That's like a 1965 quarter is "almost a silver" LOL I hate those almosts. :) Keep at it! You'll find one eventually.

LOL, so close!

Congrats on the IHP!

Thanks!

I love finding those Injuns! Big Congrats!

beephead

First of many, I hope!

That's a nice first IHP.
I love finding these, the design is one of my favorites!
My first (which I'm still cleaning) didn't look half as good as that!
Also, funny thing I probably searched the area 2-3 times before finding it. Was a broken signal in a lot of iron.

I see a lot of people say, "hunted out" parks or something along those lines.
Although I'm new, I'm kind of a nonbeliever, seeing how my mothers small 1 acre lot keeps surprising me with cool finds each and every time.
It's like that say, you just never know!

Third time over this yard and trying to dig some weaker signals, definitely paid off.

Back
Top Bottom