Viper detector

Relichunter1990

So I been thinking, about dropping like $250 on one of the Viper water detectors just for the fresh water beaches, cause I don't have much to work with right now. And the last couple of times I went detecting in the water I almost had a couple close calls with my rig and dropped it while retreaving a coin. Now I'm just real nervous. [emoji51]

So I been thinking, about dropping like $250 on one of the Viper water detectors just for the fresh water beaches, cause I don't have much to work with right now. And the last couple of times I went detecting in the water I almost had a couple close calls with my rig and dropped it while retreaving a coin. Now I'm just real nervous. [emoji51]

The viper is notorious for poor quality and other issues that often result it functioning better as a door stop than a detector.

I'd encourage you to save a few bucks to buy a waterproof detector or modify your detector with a waterproof housing. There are custom molded housings available for the Garrett ACE series detectors for about $75 and the universal waterproof plano boxes can also be used on ANY detector. I've used the plano box setup on (3) Minelab explorers and a bounty hunter.

A used AT-Pro, Sea Hunter, or Tesoro Sand Shark can often be found for $350-450. I've seen the DetectorPro Diver for $125-250....heck, I sold my diver for $150.

H/H, David

The viper is notorious for poor quality and other issues that often result it functioning better as a door stop than a detector.

I'd encourage you to save a few bucks to buy a waterproof detector or modify your detector with a waterproof housing. There are custom molded housings available for the Garrett ACE series detectors for about $75 and the universal waterproof plano boxes can also be used on ANY detector. I've used the plano box setup on (3) Minelab explorers and a bounty hunter.

A used AT-Pro, Sea Hunter, or Tesoro Sand Shark can often be found for $350-450. I've seen the DetectorPro Diver for $125-250....heck, I sold my diver for $150.

H/H, David
Thanks for the advice.

Yup, I have to agree. I don't know anything about the Viper other than what I just learned on a quick google search, but I'd go with one of the ones listed above fooooor sure.

Check out the ace 300 its in your price range

Great company. Has discrim and pinpoint!

That and get one of those boxes from NEL, smart I like it! I knew folks here would steer me in the right direction and make me think outside the box!

FWIW....Years ago, on a Forum Far Far away, on a Planet I am now deservedly banished from. One of the guys picked up a Viper or maybe it was a Cobra BM (beach magnet) for about nothing.

He was a curious fellow with a few pot tweaking propensities and general poindexter skills regarding the understanding of circuit boards and electricity. It musta been in the Winter, and we were all bored...So he set to work...

He then composed an impressively detailed post with close up pictures about what he found inside!. He then tweaked a few pots, and actually got the thing to perform somewhat reasonably! He was impressed, as were we! Anyway, its Winter, and I just remembered about this..I wish I could remember the guys name to give due credit.....FWIW.:laughing:
Mud

The Viper detector is a piece of kellyco garbage typically given away for free when purchasing a real detector. Even at free, its not worth the price.

Isn't that the one that one of the features, is that it has a snake face on the control box? :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom