Need some help with getting permissions

xonor1

So our family recently moved to a new area in our district and so there are a lot of places i'm thinking about metal detecting that are nearby. One recent spot i noticed, while driving to the store about a little under a mile away from my house, I spotted some old looking stone steps that went up to nothing. I looked it up on historic aerials and found maps of the area showing a house was there around the 1920s. Then i used an app called Zillow used for buying houses and i found some documentation about the house being built in 1920. This app also shows the property line but i can't find an owner. I don't know how to figure out who owns the land and who to ask for permissions. In addition to this, I'm only 17 so I haven't had the best of luck asking for permission because people seem to not trust me because i'm so young. They just think i'm there to destroy their yard. Anyways, i was wondering if someone would share some tips and tricks on how to figure out who owns a piece of land and how to get more people to say yes for permissions instead of no.

....Anyways, i was wondering if someone would share some tips and tricks on how to figure out who owns a piece of land and how to get more people to say yes for permissions instead of no.

Start volunteering your time with any historical society or history museums near you. Be a docent, attend meetings, etc... Then you be on the inside-track of credentialed for being interested d/t "historical interest" and "research" blah blah. Not to mention the back-room archives for other research sources it affords you.

And trust me: When a young person walks in to volunteer, and shows an interest in local history, the older-guard will welcome and relish the young persons who show interest. Also: don't immediately go saying "metal detecting". Instead, just volunteer, do your duties, spout knowledge of what you know. Get the "badge", then start morphing your md'ing interest.

Do you any one older who dects they could tag along with you when you ask

None of my friends are really interested in the hobby it is just something that i do in my free time.

Also what do you do when you are finished metal detecting their property? Do you just leave, or do you say goodbye? Most of the people that i've asked so far just go back into their house and don't really bother me. When i finish or need to go home should i knock on the door to let them know i'm leaving?

None of my friends are really interested in the hobby it is just something that i do in my free time.

Also what do you do when you are finished metal detecting their property? Do you just leave, or do you say goodbye? Most of the people that i've asked so far just go back into their house and don't really bother me. When i finish or need to go home should i knock on the door to let them know i'm leaving?

I think it would be polite to say goodby rather then just disappear

Your say that because of your age, their denying you permission because they think your going to tear things up... right? Then show them differently. When you do get permission then be respectful and before leaving tell them thank you for giving you permission, and if appropriate shake their hand. Why you're at it, ask them would they mind if you came back sometime. Even if you don't, the impression you leave speaks volumes. You will be surprised at what positive things they may say to their neighbors... opening more doors for you.

Have you checked to see if there are any detector clubs in your area? If there is you might be able to find a mentor or someone who can help you out in person.

Go to Staples and spend $10 having some custom made business cards (500). It will make you look legitimate, professional and competent. Begin every request by handing over a card followed by an introduction, firm hand shake, smile and eye contact. Dress appropriately. Explain what and why you want to do and sincerely promise to be careful and respectful of their property. Offer to demonstrate. Better yet, if you have a second detector, offer them to hunt with you. Never mention valuables like coins or jewelry but offer to return anything they may have lost. (Get a description before you begin!!!)

Trust comes easily if they like you.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 336
So our family recently moved to a new area in our district and so there are a lot of places i'm thinking about metal detecting that are nearby. One recent spot i noticed, while driving to the store about a little under a mile away from my house, I spotted some old looking stone steps that went up to nothing. I looked it up on historic aerials and found maps of the area showing a house was there around the 1920s. Then i used an app called Zillow used for buying houses and i found some documentation about the house being built in 1920. This app also shows the property line but i can't find an owner. I don't know how to figure out who owns the land and who to ask for permissions. In addition to this, I'm only 17 so I haven't had the best of luck asking for permission because people seem to not trust me because i'm so young. They just think i'm there to destroy their yard. Anyways, i was wondering if someone would share some tips and tricks on how to figure out who owns a piece of land and how to get more people to say yes for permissions instead of no.

Don't call anybody try to catch them out in the yard it's harder to say no to someone's face

Back
Top Bottom