Blue Tooth transmitter for GARRETT ATPro

BlueLine

Had my hopes up, thought I could easily get rid of the bulky, hot headsets and utilize my Bluetooth Receiver on my Garrett ATPro.I purchased a Monoprice Wireless transmitter for an affordable price and had an old set of Garrett Headphones that I was able to salvage the plug off of. Went to radio shack and got a small stereo female coupling to solder on the salvaged headset plug. It was going pretty well, Red wire to one side, white on the other and Black to ground. Plugged this setup into the headset receptacle on the Pro, paired my Bluetooth headset to the transmitter, heard the connect Beep, turned on the ATPro......Nothing. Unplugged the newly created plug adaption and the external speaker sounded off, re plugged the new plug setup.....All quiet again. What have I missed? Read some old posts from 2011 and my wiring checks out, Red,White,Black all where they're supposed to be. Is this a doable thing or do I need something more, I would like to shed the cumbersome hot headset, and the Pros external speaker is a little whimpy and non adjustable, so I had high hopes for a Bluetooth connection. Any advice? Or How to's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,383
YES!!

Your problem is that you need a in line volume control to get the impedance correct so the external speaker will shut off and send your signal where you want it. Radio shack sells a inexpensive unit that WILL fix your problem.

I did this myself with a wireless setup.
Bluetooth May give you a slight lag.

Good luck with your project!

I'll be back at the Shack tomorrow armed with this information. I understand it is an inline plugin to fit my adaptor. Our local radio shack is part of a hardware store and it's clerk is not that knowledgeable, you pretty much need to know exactly what your looking for on your own. Thanks for the help and direction. Now I'm on a quest, but fear that I may be disappointed with the lag, but gotta try it.

I've been using Bluetooth for about 3 years now. Maybe there was a significant lag on older versions, but mine works just fine. I can pinpoint a target within 1-2 inches consistently. My transmitter is version 2.3 Bluetooth, the earpiece is 3.0.

Have you tried your transmitter with an audio source, other than your detector? I've got a different transmitter, doesn't need a volume control, should have automatic gain control. Can't imagine the output from your detector being so high, as to shutting it down, must be another reason. AGC has been around a very long time, you get a much cleaner signal, and it protects more sensitive components from getting damaged.

Shabby volume

Finally got the Voyager Pro to Pair with Transmitter but the volume is terribly low. The set volume on the external speaker is actually more audible to me than thru the Bluetooth. Went to our Radio Shack, and as prementioned he is not very helpfull. Told me he didn't have an inline volume control and he just can't stock everything. Hopefully an in line volume control will help if I can ever find one. Also tried the earbuds I got with my iPhone plugged straight into the new small jack, still no increase in volume even though the apple earbud has an inline volume control. Had to go back to the Garrett Muffs today, great sound, but heat and headache soon followed. Thanks for all the input.

There should be volume control built into the earpiece. I don't know about the Voyager, but started with a Jabra Icon. The volume wasn't very loud, but good enough. Switched to a Jabra Extreme II last summer, and it can go pretty loud. Never checked to see if it could go louder, stopped when it was good, and have left it alone.

I dug around to find out which transmitter I have (doesn't say on the case). It's an Avantree Saturn.

Strange that the Apple earbuds have weak sound. Would have thought any earbud should work as well. Never been an Apple fan, from the start. Didn't like how they crafted their products to only work with Apple, or Apple licensed parts and accessories, which were limited, and expensive, if you wanted to repair, or enhance their computers. Not a Radio Shack fan either, but the only game in town for components.

I have been down this road quite a bit. Have many different bluetooth setups.
Radio Shack does sell an inline volume control and I have seen it it multiple store.
Radio Shack employees are stupid...they are nothing more than Cell Phone Pimps!!

i remember back in the 70's when Radio Shack sold real stuff...not a bunch of fluff. But be that as it may the volume controls you are looking for are usually way in the back in a bag hanging up where all the different headphone adapters a and pigtails are. Usually they are the smaller 1/8" size and are a pigtail..meaning they have about an 8" lead on them with the small volume control on them in the middle of the cord.

Here it is..... http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975

With the Bluetooth you will get lag...how bad depends on the transmitter and receiver and depending on what you choose could be both or either. Rapoo's have the shortest lag for a transmitter receiver pair setup that i can say definitely. Others may be good but it is hit and miss...again I have quite a few transmitters and headphones.

I will say...from my testing that I see more of the lag coming from the headphone end. I used to have written down which BT codex works best but I lost it.

Also if you modified the At Pro headphone setup make sure the external speaker is cutoff when you plug in the headphones otherwise you are creating a parallel circuit and the current will divide and your volume will be low. I did not understand if you did that or not...not saying you did not...just did not see. There is a contact on the headphone plug that the + wire to the speaker goes to and this contact is open when the phones plug in..usually..so the external speaker is quiet.

Didn't modify

Also if you modified the At Pro headphone setup make sure the external speaker is cutoff when you plug in the headphones otherwise you are creating a parallel circuit and the current will divide and your volume will be low. I did not understand if you did that or not...not saying you did not...just did not see. There is a contact on the headphone plug that the + wire to the speaker goes to and this contact is open when the phones plug in..usually..so the external speaker is quiet.[/QUOTE]

Didn't modify because I didn't know it was necessary, and mainly because I'm not sure HOW TO. I had 3 wires from the headset a RED, WHITE & BLACK. I soldered Red to one side White to the other and Black to the extended piece. Didn't know there was a + side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 919
Well not sure how the AT Pro is wired...I had one but never fiddled with it. However if...when you plug in the headphones...the speaker goes quiet then all is fine.
I have never had a problem with too low of audio volume using a wireless bluetooth transmitter..usually it is the other way...the impedance does not match and the audio over saturates the transmitter hence why we use the inline volume control in between the transmitter and the headphone jack...so it does not overdrive the transmitter and sound like poop

When I plug in the headphone adaptor, the external speaker does mute. My quest now is to find a local Radio Shack with stock, if not I'll go with the link you provided. Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be a great, simple, inexpensive add-on for say...oh I don't know, maybe Garrett to add to their detectors. :yes::yes::yes:
My bluetooth has multi-point connection, so I could have it connected to my phone and detector. How cool. :cool::cool:
I guess if the detector had GPS on it you could use the connection to transfer that data to your PC. Hummm I wonder what else...? :?:

We are Garrett's field testers, I think they listen to us too.......sometimes. In all it's a nice piece of equipment. It's like owning a Harley, it's not complete untill you've added enough Blings to match the original purchase price.:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom