Starting over with new 705. Trying preset program.

tinsmith

Elite Member
Taking some good advice from forum members I reset and erased my custom zero disc program. I needed to start over because I have been hauling up trash to the point I didn't want to hunt. So I'm using program 1.
My question is- Does using discrimination really effect depth enough to care?
My new setup is-- Digger coil/ program 1/ sensetivity 25/ Auto noise cancel/ thresh just able to hear in phones/ gb tracking / multi tones.

To answer your question in a word...NO. Learn the machine and what good targets sound like before concerning yourself with obtaining max depth.

Beyond that, go slow, and don't be afraid to turn the sensitivity down even more. I often hunt with my SENS set between 18-24 with the Digger coil on. DON'T chase chirps! Focus on clean repeatable tones and learn what good targets sound like.

Thanks, I'll turn sensetivity down more. The only time I had today was an hour in our trashy little patch of the woods. I did better. I'm starting to be able to call foil pretty good. I only dug a few to verify. Was right every time. And called the 3 Lincolns it dug. A coin doesn't bounce between #s more than 2. I'm sure the coil never got over any coins but the pennies. I'm learning slowly. Now rusty steel twist off tops ,,,no way I'm not there yet. I swear I had 5 today and they rang high And with solid #s of either 42, 44, and 2. Were 46 and none bounced. I am following the advice. Gonna keep working on coin signals. And thanks but don't worry I'm not crazy hung up on depth. It's just some still claim disc kills it. Just wanted the facts. Now I've got to get on a couple decent sites for coins. I think I've got an area in a sports field. The grounds crew has been working there and I'm not sticking the lesche into the ground in front of grounds maintenance. Think I may look for a club. LH's advice on clubs may help me in more than just detecting.

I've been running around 18-20 sens. and trying to zero in on solid targets. On more than one occasion, I've dug a pellet size target at 5-6":wow:. So I wouldn't worry about missing anything. "This detector goes DEEP enough for me." If it sounds good I dig it.
Good luck!

I use Program 1 almost all the time and haven't noticed any depth issues. I agree with others that you can go lower on the sensitivity if you need to settle the machine down.

I use Program 1 almost all the time and haven't noticed any depth issues. I agree with others that you can go lower on the sensitivity if you need to settle the machine down.
Thanks pesc, Yeah on sens I'm just following advice because those who gave it are Grand Master pirates compared to me. I figure it can't hurt from what others are saying. I don't think the machine is acting up at all. Its pretty stable. I do get a little short soft beep if I run into small sticks and baby/ new tree sprouts in the woods. I was running at 27 sens at the time with the 5x10. I think what the guys mean is- with that digger coil you've no need to drive it hard. I'm going to try 22, 23 and that's high enough.

I recently traded my 705, and I'm kinda thinking I might end up getting another some day. From the little time I spend with it in the park, I was impressed with it. My first find with the 705 was a wheatie....

HDD

I am the one that received HDD's 705 in trade. I just got back in from the first spin with it. I didnt dig anything though. Just listened to the tones it gave off. Its an nice machine and light as a feather. I think I am gonna like this machine.

If I find a Wheatie I would be tickled pink. Its on my bucket list of 2014 finds.

I'm not kidding, I had only logged 3-4 hrs on my new 705. I got a clear solid tone and 34 TID. I cut a nice 3 sided plug and made a nice flap with the plug. It was on our condo lawn. The Pro pointer said it's not in the plug and 3-4 inches isn't deep enough yet. Niether was 6". So I sweep the 5x10 18.7 coil over again. Nice solid 34! Still! So I dig more with the lesche and the pro pointer hits. I measured 2 inches up the red lesche handle and pulled out a copper Lincoln penny!!! That's 9 inches so give a little room for the sharp blade point, so 8.5" maybe.
I'm so impressed with these Xterras. That was the stock gold package 5x10.
And that's one of my problems. The machine made it easy to get started. Thought I was a born talent.. I don't know about y'all but I don't want to dig many 9 inchers. I'd be scared to strap on a bigger coil.:shock:

I am the one that received HDD's 705 in trade. I just got back in from the first spin with it. I didnt dig anything though. Just listened to the tones it gave off. Its an nice machine and light as a feather. I think I am gonna like this machine.

If I find a Wheatie I would be tickled pink. Its on my bucket list of 2014 finds.

I hope you have it a long time and find lots of good stuff with it. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Truth be known, I think I will step up to the Etrack if my contract is renewed with my employer in Sept.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread.

HDD

I hope you have it a long time and find lots of good stuff with it. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Truth be known, I think I will step up to the Etrack if my contract is renewed with my employer in Sept.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread.

HDD
No problemo DD, its detector talk, jump in with whatever treasure hunting md story or anything. No such thing as a highjack IMO. :D

I'm not kidding, I had only logged 3-4 hrs on my new 705. I got a clear solid tone and 34 TID. I cut a nice 3 sided plug and made a nice flap with the plug. It was on our condo lawn. The Pro pointer said it's not in the plug and 3-4 inches isn't deep enough yet. Niether was 6". So I sweep the 5x10 18.7 coil over again. Nice solid 34! Still! So I dig more with the lesche and the pro pointer hits. I measured 2 inches up the red lesche handle and pulled out a copper Lincoln penny!!! That's 9 inches so give a little room for the sharp blade point, so 8.5" maybe.
I'm so impressed with these Xterras. That was the stock gold package 5x10.
And that's one of my problems. The machine made it easy to get started. Thought I was a born talent.. I don't know about y'all but I don't want to dig many 9 inchers. I'd be scared to strap on a bigger coil.:shock:

I'm with you, 9"s is too deep for me to dig (IF) I'm in a park. Like to stay above five inches if poss. Now out in the woods is a whole new ball game. This is why I like the x-terra, it has all the potential I myself will ever need.
(If it was water proof it wound be PERFECT) Don't really even know what it's capable of yet???
Good luck

Yep,, its ok to dig deeper than 5-6" in the woods. I have a kit in the back of the SUV in a nice size rectagle wire basket thing for detecting gear. Extra diggers, gloves and I never leave to go out without my mini spade shovel. Looks just like the typical garden short spade with handle but minature at 18 to 24". Knee high mucker type boots too. If I'm in a park I allways check the undeveloped edged. The surounding woods are usually also park property. Sometimes these areas go hundreds of yrds and all adjecent town property along a sports park. In fact its one of my little secrets. Could find a good cellar hole or old path. Have not hit a decent woods area with the new 705 yet but its commin!!!

705s are underrated. When think mineland its the etrac or CTX. 705s get overlooked. This thing is great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yep, 705's are great. There is alot of info especially the audio coming at you it's taken time to learn. I'm working on rusty steel twist off tops. The #'s and sound is just like quarters or halves.

Hi Tinsmith, just FYI -- in my ground I dont lose depth with the Digger coil until I get to around 20. this is when i start to lose a good response on the silver dime I have buried 6 inches in my coin garden. Add the 1 - 1 1/2 inches of grass on top of that and the Digger is still "seeing" the dime at 7 1/2 inches with Sens at 21-22 but goes silent at 20.

That's plenty deep for me! I have a copper penny at 5 inches that the Digger still sees at sens = 15, so you still get pretty good depth on high conducters even with the sens this low.

Had to send my beloved ATP in for service and missed it so much I was shopping for a good deal on a second as back up. Instead I found a tremendous deal on a two year old 705 that had never left the owners house.

Instead of being the back up it has become my go-to machine. Light, accurate and loaded with options. Loving it.

Back
Top Bottom