Safari or E-trac

silvertitan

What are the differences between the two, besides $500?
I believe they are both multi frequency machines.

Won't comment about in-land hunting but if you are using either MD at a Salt-water beach, then the E-trac has a slightly faster processor/response time. IMO, the processor speed is more noticeable when using a 14" or larger coil in areas that are trashy or that have multiple targets under the footprint of the coil. The processor allows the machine to recognize and quickly switch display back and forth to show all targets. Its helpful and I'd pay an extra $50 for it but certainly not $500 worth, ie, I'd buy a Safari.

Going back to the beach, to avoid missing a good target, most of us hunt "without" any discrimination because, as stated in the Minelab operators manual, gold often shows up the same as bottle caps, aluminum foil, pull tabs, and even iron. Besides, sand is relatively easy to dig...So the ID display is really a mute point.

Depending on buying new or used, you could look for a Minelab Explorer Se-Pro. According to ML, the later models have the same processor as the E-trac, but lacks some of the E-trac settings. The SePro has a back-lit screen, shows Fe and Conductivity #'s, and has more programmable settings than a Safari. A few months ago, I seen several of these sell used with warranty for around $600. Honestly, that would be my preference if buying used.

Thanks for the input so far.

I am pretty land locked and would not be near salt water at all.

The technology is the same (FBS), but that's about it. The Safari is the bottom of the FBS line and the E-Trac is the top, so the difference is about the same as comparing a Chevy Cobalt to a Corvette.

I suggest that you look at the features of both machines and decide which one you think you'd get the most use out of, matching your preferences, conditions, targets sought, and technical skill/ability.

I think if I can find the top end explorer cheap enough that would be the way to go.
Used etracs aren't hard to find for $1k or less. But if I find something like an SE Pro in the $600 range - that would be ideal!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I think if I can find the top end explorer cheap enough that would be the way to go.
Used etracs aren't hard to find for $1k or less. But if I find something like an SE Pro in the $600 range - that would be ideal!

Yep that makes two of us ... I'm on the hunt for an E-Trac no doubt .... BUT if a 600$ SE Pro came around I don't think I could pass that up.

Last Feb there was (2) Se Pro's for less than $600 on the boards. Just be patient. If you want to be more aggressive, you can search Craigslist ads, regionally and consider buying a unit sight-unseen.

Last thanksgiving I ran into a guy that had a slew of unfortunate circumstances. He had listed his SePro for $800, I gave him my best offer, then a few weeks later he called me back when he had no bites and was in real financial need. $500 shipped was the bottom line. Gloating a bit, I shared that with another hunting buddy who beat me by another 10% and picked up one for $450, but still under warranty and with a RTG beach scoop. Timing is everything. :lol:

What are the noticeable differences between the Explorer SE and the SE Pro?
Have a buddy looking at the SE today.

Back
Top Bottom