Not sure what this is

Grizzly

Hey everyone, I live in Highland, NY near the Hudson River...I was metal detecting in my backyard and found a musket ball and a few old lead bullets about 6 inches down. However, my metal detector gave me the beep of silver, and I started digging, and about 12 inches down I found this (attachment)

I go to college for History and all of my professors don't know what it is, and I've asked almost 10 of them.

So, I did some of my own research and can only find maybe a reference to Revolutionary War dragoon soldiers that were in the area (the dragon on his head).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Grizzly

Attachments

• 101_0047.jpg
    101_0047.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 463
  • 101_0075-1.jpg
    101_0075-1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 451
Anything at all on the other side?
Just a smooth back with a small circle in the middle, sorry, I meant to take a pic but my battery died, I'll try to get one up tomorrow.

It looks like a pin used to be on the back.

Just a smooth back with a small circle in the middle, sorry, I meant to take a pic but my battery died, I'll try to get one up tomorrow.

It looks like a pin used to be on the back.

Here is another pic of the back of it, and on the left you will find a Revolutionary war musket ball and on the right a civil war union bullet.

(The Civil War Bullet was found on my dads property in Fredericksburg, VA)

Anyway, enjoy! :)

Attachments

• 101_0081.jpg
    101_0081.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 405
When I saw that item I thought the soldier in it is either Roman or Greek. That helmet with a lizard crest is kinda odd...but I searched a bit and found a crappy pic of a pendant with a bit similar image. It's for sale on ebay, item number 150156632727. Unfortunately no further info about it.

Voriax

Attachments

• 2e06_1_sbl.JPG
    2e06_1_sbl.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 385
Thanks Voriax...I guess its just one of those things that I'm gonna have to imagine the story to. I'll keep searching, maybe I'll find something eventually.

In other news I just went out again today and found another musket ball. :spin:

I wanted to take a picture of all of the things I've found together..including the new musket ball today (bottom left) and the bullet I found (just right of the new musket ball). The other two bullets on the bottom row are ones that I found around here in the Hudson Valley, but one of them has the distinct 3 line marking of the Union...(I think it had something to do with a regiment that got together here in Highland and was sent down to the Louisiana coast...they may have practiced here).

Just figure we all like to see something so historical, its so exciting not knowing what you are digging up.

Take care.

Attachments

• 103_0005.jpg
    103_0005.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 365
  • 103_0004.jpg
    103_0004.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 370
if i was to guess, its spanish colonial. maybe a sea serpent on his helmet not a dragon a popular folklore with navy men. hes wearing a well engraved spanish style helmet and notice the artist exaggerated the facial features possibly a vip famous general, captain, leader, ect. He also has a well groomed period beard with curled mustache. this art work is not common of american artists. great find try doing a little more research with this info let me know what you find!

if i was to guess, its spanish colonial. maybe a sea serpent on his helmet not a dragon a popular folklore with navy men. hes wearing a well engraved spanish style helmet and notice the artist exaggerated the facial features possibly a vip famous general, captain, leader, ect. He also has a well groomed period beard with curled mustache. this art work is not common of american artists. great find try doing a little more research with this info let me know what you find!

Thank you so much for your analysis of it...I was ignorant and kept thinking roman or greek and did not think spanish (duh). Trust me, I'm doing all the research I can with the information you gave, thank you so much...I'll know by tonight if I can find anything.

If I finish up my reading for one of my classes I might go back to where I found it and see if I can find the pin that was on the back or maybe another one...

haha I think i may have found the man "Pedro de Alvarado Conquistador " born 1485 died in 1540 or this guy from portugal Dom Afonso I Henriques, Conquistador or maybe some1 els

haha I think i may have found the man "Pedro de Alvarado Conquistador " born 1485 died in 1540 or this guy from portugal Dom Afonso I Henriques, Conquistador or maybe some1 els

But I can't find anything that would associate him with the dragon lizard thing on his head...it could really be anyone.

Hmm, but I think you are on the right track...I'm going to research most of the night.

Thanks!

I can tell you this about it:

It is one of the coolest things I've seen in a ling time. It will hold interest for years. nice find.

Cufflink?

Hi Grizzly!
That's a really cool find...I looked around and found this info..

Sir Francis Drake. To the Spaniards, he was El Draque, the Dragon.(1) Drake earned this title through his privateering exploits from 1570 to 1595

Not sure if it's him, but I guess you can't have too much information...LOL!

HH!
tvic25

Back
Top Bottom