Pleases help me pick a machine

Ram

I live in NJ and plan to detect around the USA. I'm looking at the Garrett detectors. Which model will detect the deepest and largest area? I want the best detector without over paying for fanciness.

what ya gonna be looking for...

The environment is a huge factor in making a wise choice in what machine ya get? What type of targets ya looking, all MD have strengths and weaknesses...
Trade offs so it really depends how ya want to hunt,where ya want to hunt,what ya want to hunt.
There is no "perfect machine" But you can find the perfect machine for you!:D
Water
salt water
trashy
coins-jewelry
relics
Simple(beep and dig)
complex(lots of info)

I am from NJ, I hunt 80% land-20% salt wet sand. I went with a Whites VX3. Its not the best at anyone type of hunting but it will get me pretty darn good at all of my type of hunting! I went through few machines before I ended up with the Whites.

I live in NJ and plan to detect around the USA. I'm looking at the Garrett detectors. Which model will detect the deepest and largest area? I want the best detector without over paying for fanciness.
In the Garrett detectors, the deepest will probably be the AT Pro-new technology. Otherwise the Ace 250 or 350 give the best bang for the buck. The only drawback is your prefernces-the Ace annoys some people with the belltone "bong" on coins-I personally don't mind it. The 350 and AT will cover the largest areas because of the coil size on them.

An ACE 350 is half the price of a new AT Pro. Out of all the machines going the AT Pro might be the best all around machine on the market.

Once mastered the ACE machines will still bring you great finds.

Without some more info from the OP replies are meaningless.

At least give a budget / dollar amount.

Not that it means much but here is what I would do. I bought a garrett AT pro mostly because its waterproof and I plan to get it wet. If I did not plan to get the detector wet I would go with either a tesoro detector ( if I didnt care to have a visual screen ) or a whites mxt pro or dfx.....possibly one of the higher end fisher/teknetics detectors. Or even minelab if I had plenty of money to spend. Garrett has detectors that probably get better depth than the AT pro but I dont think they are as good of a choice for the money as some of the detectors from other companies.....though that is just my opinion. It just depends on what you expect the detector to do and what you want to spend on one. The best thing to do is contact one of the forum sponsors and talk with them about it. They can set you up with a good deal on a detector that suits your needs and they will take the time to explain things to you a little better.

When I was researching the make and model detector that I wanted I looked through the forums and the ones that had a lot of posts about breaking and having to be sent back to the manufacturer for repairs were crossed off my list.
I imagine that popular models with a higher sales volume will have a higher number of negative posts but I wasn't willing to take that chance.

Einie, meanie, minie, mo....

You will see a lot of us have multiple machines. That proves there no BEST machine. Hunting conditions change but so do we. Our ears learn to pick up different nuances. Our body strength increases or decreases. Budgets improve. Expectations and objectives shift.

Best advice I can give you is contact several multi-brand dealers and spend time with them. Tell them where you WILL hunt and where you WANT to hunt and hope to find. Be honest about your physical limitations. I have a neuro muscular issue and weight is a huge factor. Don't buy a machine you can't enjoy using. And be VERY honest about the time you can and will spend hunting. And your learning capacity. Good machine are complicated and take months to learn. Are you willing to spend the money and time or will a less complicated machine serve you better?

Good luck. (Start with an Ace 250).

Back
Top Bottom