Rookie Review of The Tesoro Cibola

H Desert Digger

Forum Supporter
I bought a new Cibola from Donald and the MDSpot in Houston. I got a good deal and was happy with the pleasant transaction. I took my new Cibola straight out to the park after assembly. No Reading of the Onwers Manual ( I know shame on me), No Air Tests, No practice in the backyard, just right out into the park.

First Impression: Cool...Sharp Looking...smiles....okay, humor aside...

I was impressed with the tones first off, quite a bit different from my Silver Sabre or the Compadre, more subtle, not as sharp or abrasive. Nice.

Easy to find targets..aka....Pinpointing. Although, there is a PP button on the unit, I did not feel it was needed. I found my targets quite easily and was able to make quick recoveries. I did try the PP button a few times, and again, I thought it was "cute" the way it kinda went like oh...oh..your getting warm....warmer....there it is...smiles.

I found several pieces of costume jewerly and a old metal ring, some clad and the usual trash items, i.e....Pull Tabs, Bottle Tops, and Foil.

IMG_2279.jpg

I think it's a good detector, not a great one, but then again, what do I know??

Will I keep it? To early to say, maybe, but I still like my Silver Sabre too...

One negative comment, I found it to be a bit on the heavy side, the coil seems a bit heavy on the end of the stick like maybe I don't have a good balance? But this was really a minor issue at this point.

Overall Score from this Rookie...7.5 out of 10.

HDD

So how would you rate it compared to the Compadre? Thanks

I can't say truthfully, I am not that experienced with all of it's features. I messed around with the frequency switch, but it seemed the same on all of them. Guess it's really just to have in case you have company nearby on your channel..?

I would not hesitate to buy one if you get the chance and are interested in them....either one....I have the sniper coil compadre and it's a very nice LIGHTWEIGHT unit...I doubt if I would sell it....

HDD

I can't say truthfully, I am not that experienced with all of it's features. I messed around with the frequency switch, but it seemed the same on all of them. Guess it's really just to have in case you have company nearby on your channel..?

I would not hesitate to buy one if you get the chance and are interested in them....either one....I have the sniper coil compadre and it's a very nice LIGHTWEIGHT unit...I doubt if I would sell it....

HDD
Here's one more test I hope you try: with the frequency switch set at 2, lower the coil in as bad a ground as you have with the pushbutton held in (a/m mode) and see if the threshhold lowers or stays the same. Now try it in each of the other frequencies and note results. Shouldn't take but a few seconds. The idea was presented that changing frequencies would elicit a new g/b setting and allow you to ground balance in some areas. Thanks.

Here's one more test I hope you try: with the frequency switch set at 2, lower the coil in as bad a ground as you have with the pushbutton held in (a/m mode) and see if the threshhold lowers or stays the same. Now try it in each of the other frequencies and note results. Shouldn't take but a few seconds. The idea was presented that changing frequencies would elicit a new g/b setting and allow you to ground balance in some areas. Thanks.
Good post, you are correct changing the freq. switch seems to change the ground balance a bit. I know when I had my Tesoro Conquistador uMax in one of the freq. the g.b. was a tad negative, the other a tad positive and the other right on. Now I have to go wipe my eyes, I really miss that detector :crying:

I have just the spot for that...a real trashy park with one area in particular that seems to have a lot of minerals or firtilizers in it...all my MD's seem to go bezerk in that area....I'll try your test and see what I can find out....thanks for the comment.

HDD

Good post, you are correct changing the freq. switch seems to change the ground balance a bit. I know when I had my Tesoro Conquistador uMax in one of the freq. the g.b. was a tad negative, the other a tad positive and the other right on. Now I have to go wipe my eyes, I really miss that detector :crying:
One Cibola owner found this out playing with it-another poster said that changing the frequency wouldn't change the g/b. I thought the user should know what he's talking about and it kinda kept me from thinking about the Cibola. I would sure like to know the truth. Thanks.;)

One Cibola owner found this out playing with it-another poster said that changing the frequency wouldn't change the g/b. I thought the user should know what he's talking about and it kinda kept me from thinking about the Cibola. I would sure like to know the truth. Thanks.;)
Not sure about the Cibola I don't have one on hand but it was the case with that Conquistador uMax I had.

it is true on cibola and any detector really. in fix gb machine you have some minor changability. on machine with gb always gb after freq shift

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

it is true on cibola and any detector really. in fix gb machine you have some minor changability. on machine with gb always gb after freq shift

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I could only guess at that question, but hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge will answer that one for you....

my guess would be yes....

HDD

I could only guess at that question, but hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge will answer that one for you....

my guess would be yes....

HDD
Well, whenever you change frequencies and hold the pinpoint button, you will know because the threshhold will change over the same piece of ground if so.

Also remember Disc mode has a slight positive on GB vs allmetal/pinpoint button.

So if the pinpoint is a little negative to ground response then should be right on for disc mode. If pinpoint is perfect with ground or positive response may want to switch down a frequency in disc mode for max balance/depth.

Once upon a time I found a guy with video showing it when I had a Cibola to fool with.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=128580

the ground setting is just a phase offset so if you change the frequency you are changing the ground phase so with static ground balance this give you an up or down shift on GB with frequency or if you have a machine with ground balance you want to re-balance if you shift frequencies.

Back
Top Bottom