Dastech - Pinpointer

Where's the adventure in complacency ? Think of what you said and back it up to the 60's . If everyone just settled for a brand with a name then we'd all be swinging Whites or Bounty Hunters . I mean your logic is based on settling for whats hot out there that is currently riding a popularity wave . By this logic Garrett wouldn't have made it off the ground . I mean why check out Garrett when we can buy a Whites .
And although I've owned 3 Garrett Pro's I sold them all and still see them being sold on every forum . And why should you have to tweak it to achieve better performance ? Would it be impossible for the Garrett engineers to actually get the max from the start or design the body with a sliding sensitivity adjustment rather than having to make your own ?
My original post was for those who can't afford nor justify sending $127 for a pin pointer and that was all to it . If you'd rather stick to or buy a Garrett Pro then you've added nothing to this thread . And if you can't think positively about those who can't afford one like the Pro picking up one that's affordable then why say anything ? We all use these to protect our finds and the property we find them on and nothing else . Today everyone acts like they are required when they are not . I never used one or even seem one used for many many years . That's when you needed to find the target without aids like pin pointers so everyone that uses one today should be applauded and not pushed into what everyone else uses but what they can afford .
I myself rather buy one of these and keep the extra expense for something else . And even at the $40 shipped price you can still by three and take yourself out for lunch or grocery's ... we are still in a recession and some of us need to budget ourselves .... there is only a few of these left and maybe they won't come back so if you snooze you'll loose . IMHO , Woodstock

Reckon I'm a snoozer then. Just ordered me another Garrett. :yes:

Nothing is wrong with that ..

Joee5 ... I never said owning a Pro Pointer was a bad thing in fact they are very good pin pointers . I actually like a Sun Ray even if it's not wireless . But right now my basic needs to live out weight the luxury of the best as it should be . So you chose to snooze and it's obvious from your post that you were not even considering a Dastek and that shows that your a loyal customer and that's good too .
I just hope you understand that due to your quality's shown above the post wasn't met to bash any other pin pointer so if you assumed this you mis-read the post and the meaning of it .
It's met for members who can't afford a known name brand and want a great performing pin pointer out of the box without modding it . And then this is the best I have found for those like me who are now on a tight budget . So if you can afford to snooze then you are free to do so , just remember to wake up ! And enjoy your second Garrett , seriously . Happy Trails , Woodstock

Reckon I'm a snoozer then. Just ordered me another Garrett. :yes:

You over simply. Most people buy a Garrett Pro Pointer because they believe it is the best for the bucks. There are more expensive and less expensive. I have a White's Bullseye II as a backup and it's junk, and I got it for $75. I thoguht that was a deal compared to what I could have gotten. You can still detect and recover without a pin pointer. And as MD's become better at pin pointing Pin Pointers will become less desireable. You can do without a lot of thinks, but it all comes down to quality of life.

As for the Dashtec. You make it sound good, really god. BUT, You are they only one I have heard talk about it. I, for one, don't like to be a test subject. I like to pay for things that have already been tested and found to work. Even though $40. isn't a lot of money, I can't afford to take a chance that you are wrong. Nothing personal, I just don't know you, and therefor can't take your word. Hale, I can't even find one on ebay. When I go to ebay and type in the exact words in the link you provided, that pin pointer does not come up.

Last edited:
Wow ive been reading the forum for some time now and really enjoy the threads people start but ive been amazed recently as to how a simple post gets blown out of proportion. Ive found myself unsubscribing from more and more posts lately. Got to be something in the air or cabin fever. Come on folks cant we all just get Along! :windy:

i bought one of these for use as a pinpointer....seems to me you have to
get the coins fairly close to the end for it to go off. other than that it
works pretty good.

I just ordered a dastec yesterday! I can't wait to try it out here in Ct when the snow melts! Anyone from central Ct that want to head out in a group soon? Lets start thinking about planning it....

Pin pointer are like digging tools. People don't want to pay $60 for a shovel or $40 for a hand trowel. But after buying and breaking several cheap tools, they realize they should have paid for something good to begin with. Now they have spent twice as much trying to save a few bucks.
Pin pointer are the same. The cheaper one are tempting for the price but either break or just don't work very well. Even though the garrett pro pointer has been known to need replaced or repaired, their customer service is great. I have 2 of them, one for me and one for the wife. Hers starting falsing so I sent it in and should be getting it back soon. Mine has been working great. I learned to buy good stuff because it's cheaper in the long run.

ok...the field test results. if you use the larger flat side of it to get you in the general area, the end is pretty decent at getting you to the coin. i was afraid i had jumped the gun on this but i think i'm going to like it. :-)

ok...the field test results. if you use the larger flat side of it to get you in the general area, the end is pretty decent at getting you to the coin. i was afraid i had jumped the gun on this but i think i'm going to like it. :-)

bought a centech and decided to try them out side by side. the dastek seems to be built better but does not seem to perform any better than the centech.
for the money, i guess you would be better off buying the centech since it has comparable performance at half the price. just my .02 worth.

bought a centech and decided to try them out side by side. the dastek seems to be built better but does not seem to perform any better than the centech.
for the money, i guess you would be better off buying the centech since it has comparable performance at half the price. just my .02 worth.

went to the park to run another test...the dastek definitely does better in wet/damp sand than the centech. i was getting false positives from the centech from the sand with no target present as soon as the probe hit the sand. i set the threshhold as per instructions with no improvement. the centech seems to be great in soil, not so great in sand.

Then you must have had ...

A very-very sensitive HF right out of the box . I've had 3 HF and out of the box you can get only about 1 1/2" on a US Quarter anywhere you put it and maybe a 1/2" more tweaked . Now my Dastek hits a US Quarter at 3" out of the box without extensive modding. That when you mod a HF in the end costs about $30 and only IF you can find the parts and have the time and skill to do the mod . And the Dastek way better than ANY HF I've ever owned , period end of story .
That being said you can please some of the people some of the time and the rest will never be happy . It's all a buyer's choice that everyone must make by themselves . As for me I love my Dastek . Great out of the box performance without mods and small enough to fit your pouch and any hole you dig .
IMHO and Happy Trails , Woodstock

Wide ? Not that much bigger ....

Than the width of other very popular pin pointers . If you dig a 1 " diameter hole then it's to wide , sure . But if you dig a hole it has to be big enough for your hand to reach in and the Dastek has fit my average hole without issues . So you must have tiny hands !And you must try one BEFORE you make a judgement on anything .
I never said it's perfect and neither is a Pro , but for the cost it's better than a modded HF and a few more bucks . It's 10x better than a Bulls Eye , Various brands sold by First Texas (all models) and the Auto Max hands down . And I base my reviews on having OWNED EVERY PIN POINTER (except Mine Lab) and tested in the field . That being said , how many have you tested in the field to make such a statement ?
As for me I'll question anyone's opinion who hasn't owned one or owned them all and I have . For cost , ergonomic's and out of the box performance this out preforms any other under $100 for way less and darn close to the most popular one out there for close to $127 . A great deal for budget minded .
IMHO , Woodstock
With a snout that wide on that thing, just mold it into a shovel scoop and kill two birds with one stone.

Back
Top Bottom