tip of a propeller?

DougF

Elite Member
I found this at a school which dates to 1955, but it was found far in the back near a wooded area. It was down about three inches, and rang up as a dime two inches deep (lowest depth reading on the Ace). It has only slight oxidation and scattered rust spots, so I assumed it was just a piece of iron. When I got home I found a magnet is not attracted to it at all. It's a heavy metal, not aluminum, but it's very hard (not lead) and silvery in color after I filed it a little. My guess is stainless steel, and it looks like it's been cut off a larger piece with a torch or hacksaw. In cross section it has an airfoil shape. If it is the tip of a propeller, I don't know why it would be cut like that. Any ideas?

We are still in the drought here, I guess some of you in NC and SC got some rain, but nothing here yet. I went to the school this morning, but there was a fall festival setting up, so I stayed in the rear area, very few coins back there, but that was where I found my first silver coin last December. Can't wait for a little rain and some cooler weather.

Attachments

• slab.jpg
    slab.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 161
  • crosssection.jpg
    crosssection.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 163
Back
Top Bottom