A silver nugget?

Mitchsnake

I'm new to the forums, i have a bounty hunter tracker IV, i havejust started using it again after a couple of years, today i found what looks like silver but i am unsure. It came up on my detector as a high beep in the tone mode which means silver brass or copper and i'm pretty sure it isn't brass or copper.

I found bigger pieces than this as well in the same area, they were around 3 or 4 inches down in some grassy area just to the side of an old backroad which has been there since the 1800's or longer.

I don't know any other metal that looks like silver apart from steel and my metal detector says it isn't that as it picks it up on the highest setting on discrimation mode. I was wondering if anyone knew what this is or what it could be.

The pictures don't show it properly but you can see most of the silver shining, the rest is covered in a grey coating, it scratches off to silver underneath but i don't know how else to clean it so i'll leave them for now.

Attachments

• PICT0017.jpg
    PICT0017.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 872
  • PICT0019.jpg
    PICT0019.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 852
  • PICT0039.jpg
    PICT0039.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 825
it can't be because i have bigger pieces, 2 big pieces about the size of a 3 packets of crisps put together. also it is very solid, it doesn't bend or break easily. Also i get a different signal for aluminium cans and other aluminium items. By the look, feel and weight of it, it is definetley not aluminium, i'm 100% sure of it, unless it is some kind i haven't come accross and by magic 10 cans melted themselves together ang gained weight lol.

you could check the mass by dropping it in a glass of water, then weigh it. Compare your findings to the weight of silver for the same amount of mass.
Silver =10.49  g?cm−3

I found something similar to that a few years ago. There was a car that caught fire and burned down on that spot. The best I could come up with was the stuff inside the battery melted and cooled in the dirt under the car.

I have found a lot of similar pieces at various old home sites. I always assumed they were some kind of pieces of solder. You could always buy a silver test kit just to make sure.

Arkwater, i don't quite understand what to do to find out the mass etc?

1 cubic centimeter = 1 ml: If you drop it in a measuring cup with 100ml water in it, and the level raises to say 102ml, then the mass of the object would be 2ml or 2 cubic cm.
Silver =10.49g per cubic cm or 20.98g per 2 cubic cm.
If your object was not close to this then you could be sure its not silver. at least not pure silver. Hope this helps.

Melted lead was used in plumbing, and babbit was used as bearings in wagon wheels. Someone could have been pouring a babbit bearing on that spot. This was sometimes done while the wheel was still on the wagon. The wagon axel had a tapered spindle, the wheel had a tapered boxing, and babbit was poured in the space between them as a bearing. Lead was poured oh top of oakum that was pounded into cast iron pipe joints. Just a couple of choices.

Melted lead was used in plumbing, and babbit was used as bearings in wagon wheels. Someone could have been pouring a babbit bearing on that spot. This was sometimes done while the wheel was still on the wagon. The wagon axel had a tapered spindle, the wheel had a tapered boxing, and babbit was poured in the space between them as a bearing. Lead was poured oh top of oakum that was pounded into cast iron pipe joints. Just a couple of choices.
say it again!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom