Wow..So many newbies...

lol, i'd have to say a lot of people dig this hobby! you ever notice on the main page the number of guests on the site compared to the number of signed in members? 10 to 1 is not an uncommon ratio! :wow2:
myself, i stumbled onto the site, lurked for a short period of time and thought what the heck, this is a great place, a great bunch of guys/gals and literally oodles of information. it sounded like such a great hobby and i'm still amazed at some of the things people are finding and the knowledge others have at identifying some of those "head scratchers", lol.
i haven't hit :pirate: Captain Kidds treasure yet and probably never will, but i'm having FUN and that's the main thing! :waytogo:

there's no question that the interest is out there and i'm glad to see newer people are getting into it! i think that much more history will be unearthed, that much more trash will get cleaned up and that many more holes will be filled in, ha. :gottaluv::tiphat:
Happy Hunting to all!

Pete :waytogo:

When you are new and just learning finding a place called "Friendly Metal Detecting Forum" is the only place to go :D

OO7tallguy <<-- You'll have to take that metal detector to Oak Island ;)

After Christmas

The membership seems to bump up faster than during the summer. With all the new shows featuring detecting, and treasure hunting in general, people are taking interest. With so many people out of work there is free time, so they dust off dads old detector thats been stuck in the closet for years, and have at it....Gil

When you are new and just learning finding a place called "Friendly Metal Detecting Forum" is the only place to go :D

OO7tallguy <<-- You'll have to take that metal detector to Oak Island ;)

Ooh Oak Island! I wanna go there. I read a book about that place. They dug some 100feet or so into the ground and found a bit of bone and gold chain on the drill when it came back up. Too bad they can't keep digging, water kept filling in the bottom. They closed it in the 60s I think. There just has to be treasure down there.

Ooh Oak Island! I wanna go there. I read a book about that place. They dug some 100feet or so into the ground and found a bit of bone and gold chain on the drill when it came back up. Too bad they can't keep digging, water kept filling in the bottom. They closed it in the 60s I think. There just has to be treasure down there.

lol, i've been there a couple of times back when they had daily tours (and long before i've ever held a MD in my hands, lol)
there's numerous books out there on the island and the ongoing hunt, one good one is called "Oak Island Gold", written by William S. Crooker, but there are newer books out there as well.
some of their works are in excess of 200-250 feet deep and as far as i know, they're still doing work down there. i don't ever remember any bone being dug up. :?:
haha, as for MDing on the island.... well, if indeed there's an actual treasure buried there, something tells me that it'll be a bit more than 8-12 inches deep, lol. my Ace won't go much deeper than that, haha! :lol::lol:
as for what, if anything, is buried there, the only way they'll ever know the who and the what is when they find it!

Pete

ps. i can send you a photo of the island, i only live a couple of miles from there and can see it from my front yard, ha!

With gold around $1,300 and OZ and silver at around $30 and OZ we'll see a lot of new people to the hobby. Not saying they are just interested in the money, but I can honestly say that was what got me into the hobby some 30 years ago. I was hoping to make extra $$$.

Oak Island is known as the money pit... since more money has been put into the quest than will ever be found (and it is doubtful there is anything there anyway). The depths they have dug to far exceed anything any pirate could have accomplished... and these depths have only been achieved with modern technology.. what with flooding etc. It is the legend that holds the mystique. RickO

With gold around $1,300 and OZ and silver at around $30 and OZ we'll see a lot of new people to the hobby. Not saying they are just interested in the money, but I can honestly say that was what got me into the hobby some 30 years ago. I was hoping to make extra $$$.

Yea, I work in the self storage industry and let me tell you because of all those shows on cable about buying stuff at storage locations, we have an awful lot of calls about, and newbies at our latest auctions.
Most are convinced they will buy a unit and find a huge hidden treasure.
Then reality sets in when the bidding starts...

i really hope they don't come out with a reality show about metal detecting for that same reason, i could only amagine all the unfilled holes left all over the place, places to hunt would be banned quick

i really hope they don't come out with a reality show about metal detecting for that same reason, i could only amagine all the unfilled holes left all over the place, places to hunt would be banned quick

Good point. I used to metal detect back in the late 70's with my fathers old Whites detector and have always been facinated with hidden treasures, old coins, and relics. Works been slow for me (builder) and I have spare time so I decided to pick up a detector and try it out. My wife thinks I nuts. I can't wait to see what she thinks when I find her some nice jewelry.

Haha, this is true... Im a member of some photography forums.... and friendliness to newbies isnt .all that common there :) Therefore this one seemed inviting hah....

Anyhow, Christmas allowed me to get a $55 discount on my purchase, so that Is infact the reason I picked my new machine up ( which I just got :D )... Theres always a rush of new blood in the photography forums around this time as well...

I have spare time so I decided to pick up a detector and try it out. My wife thinks I nuts. I can't wait to see what she thinks when I find her some nice jewelry.

Same here pretty much. I work out of the home and needed a hobby that would get me out of the house. I've always enjoyed finding things and looking for things that are valuable. Now I am finding that I also enjoy the historical side of the hobby as well.

I lurked on the forums for about 6 months before signing up. I quickly realized that there was a ton of information being shared here, so I kept coming back every day to learn more.

The members of this forum are nice and I couldn't believe the amount of knowledge that they freely shared with new people like myself. It is great that we live in a time where a guy like me can learn so much about the hobby and all that it entails from the comfort of my own home. Some of the things I have learned here would have taken me years to figure out on my own.

I've been on a few treasure hunting/ metal detecting forums, and most are very informational, but THIS forum is the best one out there hands down, and it is because of the members. :gottaluv:

Im just glad all the new people have a place they can learn the right way. I have met several that had no idea what they were doing and could really learn from this forum

Digger27,

Sort of a newbie to the hobby. I purchased my detector back in 1997. Went out every now and then until about 5 years ago. My detector looks brand new still.

I got laid off from my work back in September of 2010. Up until about right before Christmas I never gave any thought about getting back into the hobby. I have sent out many resumes and filled out plenty of applications. Have not heard a word from any possible new employer.

So I started reading some forums again and bug has hit me again. Plus getting kind of bored searching the internet and local news paper for a new possible job. Found this site over the weekend. Read some posts before actually signing up for an account.

HH,

Bill

P.S. I have an original Spectrum XLT

Digger27,

Sort of a newbie to the hobby. I purchased my detector back in 1997. Went out every now and then until about 5 years ago. My detector looks brand new still.

I got laid off from my work back in September of 2010. Up until about right before Christmas I never gave any thought about getting back into the hobby. I have sent out many resumes and filled out plenty of applications. Have not heard a word from any possible new employer.

So I started reading some forums again and bug has hit me again. Plus getting kind of bored searching the internet and local news paper for a new possible job. Found this site over the weekend. Read some posts before actually signing up for an account.

HH,

Bill

P.S. I have an original Spectrum XLT

Hey Bill, welcome and glad you got the bug again.
I got a super duper crappy unit in mid Feb, a cast off from my brother.
Very hard to use, but despite that, something got in me too and I don't think it is ever going to let me go.

I hope it doesn't, anyway.

I know everyone here and myself want to send you a little good Karma, job wise.
Here's hoping you land that better job...soon!

HH

It was easy to find justification for buying a metal detector after finding this forum. :) I'm guessing others here found the same thing. I'm new to the hobby but have found some cool things already. I doubt it'll make me rich, and the value of the things I find won't equate to even minimum wage, but there's always that chance of hitting it big time. :) Probably better odds than my gambling skills will provide so what the heck!!

Good hunting!

Good point. I used to metal detect back in the late 70's with my fathers old Whites detector and have always been facinated with hidden treasures, old coins, and relics. Works been slow for me (builder) and I have spare time so I decided to pick up a detector and try it out. My wife thinks I nuts. I can't wait to see what she thinks when I find her some nice jewelry.

Hope your scenario goes like mine did:

Wife: Thats nice. What do you want for dinner?

later

Wife: I want to go metal hunting with you. What are you going to use?

That's why I got my White's. ;)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom