Gifting Jewelry Finds, Keep Or Give?

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I have found nice silver rings and jewelry over the years which, with a good polishing up, should make for nice gifts to a special family person and a select few special friends. How many of our "loved ones", real people, would you say, would actually wear these gifts? The time and effort, as fun as it was and still is for me, in finding these items, still has me somewhat protective of the items.

I sit here now and look at a James Avery heart ring I found, still tarnished but perfect for refurbishing. I have seen what a nice ring can look like after a proper shining up, after I gifted one to a friend, my friend put a really good shine on the ring. It looked nice on his wife's hand, and I was proud.

Do people really appreciate a jewelry gift which we find in the dirt, or is it still a "dirty" gift and will end up in a drawer or sold?

Goofy question, sorry.

I've given most of my best jewelry finds to family and friends. Some are worn daily, a couple must have been put in a drawer and forgotten.

I'm not inclined to give them away anymore unless fairly confident the item will be worn/used regularly. If it is likely to end up in a drawer, it may as well stay in my drawer to begin with. A small 18k ring I found a couple of weeks ago, was "asked for", but I don't believe the family member asking for it will actually wear it, so, it's still in my collection, for now.

- Dave

I've given most of my best jewelry finds to family and friends. Some are worn daily, a couple must have been put in a drawer and forgotten.

I'm not inclined to give them away anymore unless fairly confident the item will be worn/used regularly. If it is likely to end up in a drawer, it may as well stay in my drawer to begin with. A small 18k ring I found a couple of weeks ago, was "asked for", but I don't believe the family member asking for it will actually wear it, so, it's still in my collection, for now.

- Dave

Thanks Dave.

I'm a collector and have never sold or given away anything I've found. All my finds are in shadow boxes throughout my house.. But that's me..

Over the years I have given many pieces away. Somebody sees something they like , try it on , "oh this is so nice !" I give it to them and they are amazed. Next time I see them , are they wearing it ? No. I don't even bother anymore. Probably been about 8 years....

I give away some and sell some. I did find a James Avery Nail cross necklace once and gave it to a guy to give to his mother. I just told him to not say where it came from. A couple months later when i saw her she was wearing it. So you never know! I have found a few Native American style rings and gave them to people, not caring if they just kept them in a drawer. It was the thought that counted.

I'm a collector and have never sold or given away anything I've found. All my finds are in shadow boxes throughout my house.. But that's me..

The same goes for me. I put lots of effort and time into finding this stuff. Yes, some can bring decent money if sold. I can tell you where nearly all of the finds came from, even the junkers. I still retrieve the axe heads and wagon parts and bring them home as well. They are sort of like badges of honor in a way.

It's not just gifting of jewelry finds. Actual metal detectors are included, plus a lot more general things we possess. I've seen a new detecting person I was helping, toss a gifted metal detector down from a standing position and let it bounce on the ground. I quit detecting with that one.

Maybe that experience was rare but I have gifted friends who thought they were going to detect. Things like Garretts pinpointer as an example, and they maybe detected 3 times them, one friend only once, and never more. I tried warning them after year(s), to at least take out the alkaline battery because the pointer would ruin if it leaked. I didn't even get a "thank you" or anything and when I brought it up in person, suggesting it was a loaner, he said I could drive to his house and take it back. All he had to do was acknowledge the battery concern on either episode after I mentioned the leakage issue.

Gifting is nice, but don't be fooled. Gift-ees who honestly cherish them beyond simple day(s), are not the norm. Jm2c

Back
Top Bottom