Anyone tried a Bigfoot on an excal?

Bklein

I am curious if anyone has tried to make or adapt a Bigfoot type coil to an Excal. To me this would be the ultimate for beach shore hunts. Waterproof, good targeting, no VID necessary, wider coverage…. Oh, and I wonder if I could fit a Bluetooth transmitter inside the tube.

I am curious if anyone has tried to make or adapt a Bigfoot type coil to an Excal. To me this would be the ultimate for beach shore hunts. Waterproof, good targeting, no VID necessary, wider coverage…. Oh, and I wonder if I could fit a Bluetooth transmitter inside the tube.

I actually bought Jim Karbowski's equipment he used to use to test and tune his coils for Whites, Fisher, and Garrett. And all his notes for the coils. As well as some bigfoot coils he never got put together before he died. In my opinion, he might have been able to. But was interesting to read emails where Jimmy Sierra and someone else i am not naming were trying to reverse engineer his coils after he passed away. Not sure how the emails got put with his coil notes? But maybe his widow let them finally borrow his notebook?

I remember you saying you got that stuff (but forgot it was you). Have you made any coils yet? At least try one on a Surf Pi…. Did you get many housings? That’s going to be a problem for me unless I make a vacuformer thing. I also need to find a deal on bare copper wire. I have a bunch of Ethernet cables I could scrounge from I guess.

I remember you saying you got that stuff (but forgot it was you). Have you made any coils yet? At least try one on a Surf Pi…. Did you get many housings? That’s going to be a problem for me unless I make a vacuformer thing. I also need to find a deal on bare copper wire. I have a bunch of Ethernet cables I could scrounge from I guess.

Gonna have to be coated wire. Also the shielding he used inside on the cases threw the reverse engineers for a loop. Vacuum form is relatively easy to make. You can get a two burner portable stove with a frame to hold the coil stock. Not sure how long it took him to know how to wind the coils an exact number of times? Then he would bend out a piece of the wire and tape it in exact spots to fine tune it. I know Detech makes a Bigfoot type coil for the DFX. Company called Pinnacle tried making one years ago and everyone i know who tried one said it was not the same level as a Bigfoot coil.

Real big trick is figuring out the windings that will work on so many frequencies. If it will at all. DFX only uses two. And pinpoint shuts half the coil down.

My friend used to use his on the beach and it preformed very well... he had it at the time on his DFX...

Oh yes, I have one on a Spectrum XLT, a Tejon, and a GP Extreme. The XLT and Tejon don’t work in the wet, the GP Extreme works awesomely but its an overly complex implementation that doesn’t like saltwater. I have yet to try that coil (beach hog) on my DF - that might work out well. The Excal though would be a huge learning experience to make like Larry says. I do wonder why the Detech Arrow doesn’t come in a Pi version - say tested for the TDI.

Oh yes, I have one on a Spectrum XLT, a Tejon, and a GP Extreme. The XLT and Tejon don’t work in the wet, the GP Extreme works awesomely but its an overly complex implementation that doesn’t like saltwater. I have yet to try that coil (beach hog) on my DF - that might work out well. The Excal though would be a huge learning experience to make like Larry says. I do wonder why the Detech Arrow doesn’t come in a Pi version - say tested for the TDI.

We are going to test a Detech Arrow on a Whites DFX when it makes it from Bulgaria against a couple different DFX Bigfoot coils. It may be possible to connect them to Karbowski's equipment if it still works as it should. If not we will be doing lots of testing in spring on the beaches.

I don’t know about you guys but I get ads for the Arrow quite a bit when I’m Googling things. Google knows me well.
It looks like it could make a nice wakeboard if detecting doesn’t work out.

I don’t know about you guys but I get ads for the Arrow quite a bit when I’m Googling things. Google knows me well.
It looks like it could make a nice wakeboard if detecting doesn’t work out.

Every time you google something it becomes part of your daily life. My feed gets flooded. I even bad mouth Round up/ Monsanto and then get flooded with ads. Luckily for them they don't have a comment section in spam ads:lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom