The Excalibur on small gold...

Cfmct

Administrator
Admin
Forum Supporter
A friend sent me a link to another forum where I read this line in a post:

"You guys have been walking over SMALL gold for years with the modded Excalls..."

He is so wrong... those of us who have mastered our detectors will continue to find gold no matter what detector we use... new technology is not going to make older technology obsolete.

I will cut him some slack because he is not a saltwater beach hunter...

Here is a picture of some of the small gold the Excalibur finds just fine... the seated half dime is for size comparison...

Attachments

• IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 400
I'm not sure what I want to do starting off the new year as I strive to remain positive. Do I really want to correct , comment or give advice to some of these guys who really don't know any better ? After decades of pounding the sand , maybe just keep my pie hole shut and let them figure it out. Sure hasn't benefited me at all. Matter of fact , just the opposite with covid , lack of crowds and the tidal wave of all these Nox pansy hunters and experts. Let them believe the modded xcals miss small gold.....

I got a friend who kills the Micro gold, he sends me a picture of all his Nox gold..70 to 100 mostly small gold he has found for the year. I skip those chirps with the excalibur.. I want the gold with weight.. now if I was digging no gold I may start but why waste time when most of those little targets are junk jewelry. Then add if you get a machine that really does hit the micro gold deeper then the Nox just think of all the junk jewelry and trash in that mix...Not me...the Noxers and Deus ll's can spend all day digging that stuff...Love my Excalibur.

Will I get a Deus ll, Not sure yet but I really like that 5 year warranty, I'll be luck if I out live the machine..:oldguy:

Attachments

• 270412372_2097790223719247_1989581738736040511_n.jpg
    270412372_2097790223719247_1989581738736040511_n.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 384
  • 269637926_1116555095747011_789481504051292292_n.jpg
    269637926_1116555095747011_789481504051292292_n.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 378
I'm not sure what I want to do starting off the new year as I strive to remain positive. Do I really want to correct , comment or give advice to some of these guys who really don't know any better ? After decades of pounding the sand , maybe just keep my pie hole shut and let them figure it out. Sure hasn't benefited me at all. Matter of fact , just the opposite with covid , lack of crowds and the tidal wave of all these Nox pansy hunters and experts. Let them believe the modded xcals miss small gold.....

lol at pansy Nox pansy hunters one of my friends wanted to know if I was going to start hunting tot lots since getting a Nox... cracked me up...

I got a friend who kills the Micro gold, he sends me a picture of all his Nox gold..70 to 100 mostly small gold he has found for the year. I skip those chirps with the excalibur.. I want the gold with weight.. now if I was digging no gold I may start but why waste time when most of those little targets are junk jewelry. Then add if you get a machine that really does hit the micro gold deeper then the Nox just think of all the junk jewelry and trash in that mix...Not me...the Noxers and Deus ll's can spend all day digging that stuff...Love my Excalibur.

Will I get a Deus ll, Not sure yet but I really like that 5 year warranty, I'll be luck if I out live the machine..:oldguy:

I dig every target that gives me a peep... but that is my thing... I also don't want to leave targets for the next guy.. I want him to hear nothing and give up and go someplace else...

I also like the relics just as much as the yellow... I love the cannonball I found as well as the two colonial coins I have found from the 1700's...

I wouldn't mind trying the Deus 2 but only after someone like Carter takes it for a few hunts... I'm not jumping on any bandwagon...

For each one of those micro gold is also digging 50+ pieces of can slaw. I rather hit the bigger stuff.

This is true for 99.9% of typical search environs : If you are getting micro-jewelry (earring studs, tinsel thin chains, etc...) then you will be bedeviled by ttteeennnnsssyyy foil turds type stuff.

And is it really worth it ? For a piece of gold that probably has .70c worth of melt value ? Really ? :roll:

You need to find a beach that doesn't have all that canslaw... :yes:

The only exception to my lack-of-need to be able to hear micro-jewelry, is if mother nature is eroding the beach. And has washed out all the light-weight aluminum. THEN it would be nice to hear daintier stuff. Because there's a few rare chains that, although they have a composite heavier weight, yet they can still be difficult signals. In these rare cases, I would welcome micro-ability.

This is true for 99.9% of typical search environs : If you are getting micro-jewelry (earring studs, tinsel thin chains, etc...) then you will be bedeviled by ttteeennnnsssyyy foil turds type stuff.

And is it really worth it ? For a piece of gold that probably has .70c worth of melt value ? Really ? :roll:

The only exception to my lack-of-need to be able to hear micro-jewelry, is if mother nature is eroding the beach. And has washed out all the light-weight aluminum. THEN it would be nice to hear daintier stuff. Because there's a few rare chains that, although they have a composite heavier weight, yet they can still be difficult signals. In these rare cases, I would welcome micro-ability.

Tom... I don't find micro jewelry.. I don't hunt active beaches I don't find Felix pennies nor many pulltabs... its irrelevant but I will dig it all on my old spots I hunt these days... my micro jewelry tends to be small rings like I posted here or melted gold most likely from cremation remains... I will dig that all day long... those posts above is not what the thread was started for it was started to respond to a post that is not true...

That “small gold the Excalibur finds” photo is pretty dang cool. I would love to try an excal some day. Or an Explorer series…

Pfft. The excal can hit tiny gold, I do it all the time underwater with all the racket of a dive hookah. Gold earing backs are a common find for me, I've found a 0.24 gram 22k back before. It was only a few inches deep of course.
What it struggles with is non-circular gold pieces and odd shapes that are small. take a solid ring vs a broken ring and see the difference once it gets small and thin you really need to listen for it.

If I was using a scoop rather than diving, it'd be different as those small bits can fall through the scoop all day long in the water.

All what that said above are true.
Excalibur missed gold and Equinox is missed gold too.
Not explorer, try Equinox and vanquish 540.
Hamid

..... my micro jewelry tends to be small rings like I posted here or melted gold most likely from cremation remains... I will dig that all day long... ....

I saw your pix of the dainty rings. But I would not classify those (or gold teeth, etc...) as "micro jewelry". Small and dainty? Sure. But "micro" ? No.

I thought the term micro was for things like earring studs, tinsel thread-thin chains, dimple-sized charms, etc....

I saw your pix of the dainty rings. But I would not classify those (or gold teeth, etc...) as "micro jewelry". Small and dainty? Sure. But "micro" ? No.

I thought the term micro was for things like earring studs, tinsel thread-thin chains, dimple-sized charms, etc....

Did you read this quote? Where does it say micro? It says small gold my finds are small gold the guy who posted the comment below is wrong period.

"You guys have been walking over SMALL gold for years with the modded Excalls..."

I can easily post the link to that other forum no rules against cross posting forum posts here... made it bold for you Tom.

Did you read this quote? Where does it say micro?....

Uhhh, sorry, I musta got confused. Here is the quote from you :

".... my micro jewelry tends to be small rings like I posted here...."

Maybe I misunderstood that. And, admittedly, this has gone back and forth evolving from prior posts of multiple folk. So maybe I lost something in the evolution of the discussion. Oh well.

Uhhh, sorry, I musta got confused. Here is the quote from you :

".... my micro jewelry tends to be small rings like I posted here...."

Maybe I misunderstood that. And, admittedly, this has gone back and forth evolving from prior posts of multiple folk. So maybe I lost something in the evolution of the discussion. Oh well.

I like most hunters like big heavy rings so these little rings I can call micro they are like a size 2.5 to 3 I know one thing they won't fit on Felix's fingers...

I can't believe the words my eyes are reading here. Coming from what I thought , were hardcore beachhunters. Maybe I would think the same if I hunted goldfish bowls. Pansy style ! Now you guys are being choosy passing over small gold. Gold is Gold ! It all adds up. I don't care about how many rivets fall through my scoop. Any time I'm digging is far better than swinging. Guess you y'all don't have to worry about that. Just dig the honkers. But what it does tell me is that I'm not an old fart yet.

.... Gold is Gold ! It all adds up. .....

Kobenstein : if it were possible to have the "best of all worlds", then yes, everything you're saying would be true. The trouble is, that it's not always possible to have the best of all worlds.

Restricting the conversation to just spots where ttteeennnsssyy foil turds abound : Then by your logic, a person should not fret himself about spending all his hunt day wading through those turds. "Lest he miss a gold earring stud", right ?

Or would he have been better off rejecting all of that, and just going for ring size stuff ? In which case his only nemesis becomes tabs, larger foil wads, nickels, etc..

I'll post an example in the next post :

I once got ready to meet up with a guy, in a certain park in CA, that was known for still having some deep silver (for those with good ears).

As we set up the appointment date to meet, we began to discuss our planned strategies. And when he found out that my style in turf is to pass shallow stuff, HE WAS AGHAST ! Because in his mind's eyes :

1) the clad adds up after awhile. So it's foolish to pass it.

2) Sometimes an old coin might be shallow. Ie.: "Ya never know"

3) perhaps the clad is masking something older/deeper underneath it.

Then things got worse when he found out that I cherry pick, and don't dig foil, nickels, etc... when doing junky urban parks. AGAIN he was aghast ! Saying : "But you might miss a gold ring !!??"

We met, and spent an entire morning hunting. The results were predictable :

Me: a couple of silver dimes, 10 or 12 early green wheaties, and maybe 4 or 5 clad that fooled me.

Him: 50 clad (rotten zinc, etc...) no silver coins, and *maybe* one wheatie.

He simply couldn't understand why he wasn't finding oldies in the same amount of time. He figured : "Gee, I'm 'digging everything', so technically, I should have the best of all worlds", eh? But it never ends up working that way in the end. :roll:

(If I'm ghost-townsy relic-hunting ? Sure: My strategy would be different)

I can't believe the words my eyes are reading here. Coming from what I thought , were hardcore beachhunters. Maybe I would think the same if I hunted goldfish bowls. Pansy style ! Now you guys are being choosy passing over small gold. Gold is Gold ! It all adds up. I don't care about how many rivets fall through my scoop. Any time I'm digging is far better than swinging. Guess you y'all don't have to worry about that. Just dig the honkers. But what it does tell me is that I'm not an old fart yet.

I hope you didn't include me in that tirade :D I have the pulse mentality... dig it all... I don't cherry pick of you look at OBN's title he has been a cherry picker a long time.. I used to give him a hard time about it when over at Findmall :lol:

Back
Top Bottom