looking for some input

oldkoot

Elite Member
i just did a pre order for the legend was also looking to purchase a vanquish for my grandson but have changed my mind on the vanquish because i have read some things i do not care for on it and because it reminds me to much of the AT PRO which even though I have one that i purchased new in 2010.

where i need the input is i have decided to purchase either a equinox 600 or a XP Orx my grand son will be 13 in a few months and i want a detector for him that he can grow into I can get the nox 600 or the orx for around $150 more than the vanquish my grand son has been showing interest for several years now and has been out with me on many occasions so like i said i want a detector he can grow in to

i just did a pre order for the legend was also looking to purchase a vanquish for my grandson but have changed my mind on the vanquish because i have read some things i do not care for on it and because it reminds me to much of the AT PRO which even though I have one that i purchased new in 2010.

where i need the input is i have decided to purchase either a equinox 600 or a XP Orx my grand son will be 13 in a few months and i want a detector for him that he can grow into I can get the nox 600 or the orx for around $150 more than the vanquish my grand son has been showing interest for several years now and has been out with me on many occasions so like i said i want a detector he can grow in to
If the grandson is going to be a constant hunting buddy, I would buy detectors that have the same target vid numbers. Inevitably partners are going to compare numbers especially on the iffy targets. Why not buy two of exactly the same detector and keep the Garrett as a really tough, durable backup?

I think a Simplex+ would be a good choice. Vdi's won't be the same but there are probably a lot of similarities. Very affordable and you can water hunt together.

Simplex is a great machine and well worth the money. The Nox 600 aint too shabby either...the learning curve on the Simplex is a bit easier though...

I think a lot of it would depend upon the conditions you will most typically hunt in. If you're planning to hunt in water - I'd lean heavily toward the Nox (vs the ORX). That is especially so if you're hunting in salt water.

If you're hunting mostly in areas with lots of iron trash (bits of nails, etc..) then I'd lean heavily toward the ORX (vs the Nox).

The ORX is amazing in iron. Absolutely amazing. It isn't my first choice for hunting in areas with a lot of modern trash (think aluminum) - because bits and pieces of aluminum sound exactly like a coin. The ORX has 3 tones, with no ability to move the tone breaks. The ORX will find the coins, but you'll either have to dig everything with a high tone or you'll have to watch the screen for the VDI numbers - US coins (excepting nickels) will tend to be in the 82+ VDI range. Everything is normalized: meaning every coil (and every frequency) will be normalized to VDI numbers (and tones) at 18kHz.

The ORX is extremely light weight, very easy to swing (all day long) and lightning fast. It is a simplified Deus (roughly the same performance, but with far fewer tuning options). The ORX is a great jewelry hunter (with the right coil). I do wish it had a few tone options (5 tones and full tones) and the ability to set tone breaks, but other than that it isn't lacking.

The MI6 pinpointer can be paired with the ORX - so you'll hear the MI6 through the wireless headphones (XP calls them backphones) when you turn the pinpointer on. It is a great feature that really makes hunting more fun and more productive.

You can salt balance the ORX. It does very well in wet salt sand, though I'd guess it isn't as good as the Nox in wet salt sand. You can buy a cable kit for hunting in the water (wireless signals won't travel through water), but the screen (XP calls it a remote) is not waterproof. The remote is detachable though, and it is easily put inside a Ziplock bag to keep it from getting wet. The backphones (headphones) are not waterproof.

The ORX has a 5-year transferable warranty. Save your receipt if you buy it new and get the receipt if you buy a used one.

I've never used a Nox so I cannot comment much on that machine.

Do you still use your X-Terra 705?
The Nox 600 and the Vanquish 440/540 are very similar, share the same user interface and even have similar tones and target ID numbers since both the Equinox and Vanquish use -9 to +40 target ID scales like the 705.

Lots of people (including Nokta Makro) are saying that the Legend and the Equinox are very similar too including the Legend's tone choices and the 0 to 60 target ID scale.

The Simplex and the XP ORX use a 0 to 99 scale, and tones that are extremely unlike the X-Terra 705, Equinox, Vanquish and the upcoming Legend. The Simplex user interface is much more complicated than the Vanquish 440/540. I have handed a Vanquish to total newbies, given them 5 minutes of instruction and let them loose. They did very well.

I used to let my now 15 year old nephew use my X-Terra 705. He was 13 at the time and he really liked it. So instead of buying your nephew a new detector you could give him your 705 along all the experience that you have using it.

Equinox is a good detector only bad part is the coil selection 11" to big 6" to small .. the Collek 10x5" is a great coil BUT $250 if you can find one

Vanquish you have a good selection of coils V12 V10 V8 You can get a used 540 pro pack (V12 V8 WHP) reasonable price then add the V10

Simplex is a good detector but you need to get the 2 coil package

XP ORX is super light super fast comes with the WSA HP then get the MI-6 Pinpointer

Thanks for the replies

I did think about giving my Xterra 705 to him but he really did not care for the 705 when i allowed him to use it while we were out nugget hunting even though it is my favorite detector to use, I know it like the back of my hand and still feel I can hunt with the best of them with the 705, my other concern with the 705 is the age of it I have had it since 2010 but have never had an issue with it but we all know electronics can suddenly fail for no apparent reason so that is out

so the 705 is out even though he did seem to pick things up on the 705 rather quickly,if i go with the Nox 600 i kind of fear it might be the same for him as far as not caring for it, the vanquish I did give some serious thoughts to but I just cannot get past the fact that it reminds me to much of the AT PRO, which even though I have a AT PRO it and i just never did get along I hated it,its a good machine that never hit anything deeper than 6 inches at least that was my experience with it,I laugh every time I see claims of people hitting 10 inch dimes with the ATP, they would have to show me in person to make me believe it.

I did also consider the Simplex + but and i believe if it was not a single frequency machine I would probably have already purchased one of the Simplex + for him the price of the simplex plus is really appealing

I also know the ORX is also a single frequency detector but everything I have ever read or heard about it was all good to great

I will figure it out it just may take me a bit more reading and video watching LOL

The Vanquish is a deep machine and very user friendly. Completely different than the AT Pro.

Steve

Totally agree. The Vanquish models are ridiculously deep and can easily hit coin sized targets beyond the mathematical edge of detection (coil diameter) and with very accurate numerical target IDs on good non-ferrous targets. Super easy to operate, big display, much nicer ergonomically than the AT or Ace series, especially with the collapsible shafts. The 440 with its stock 10” coil is just about perfect balance wise. The AT Pros are built to take a beating but are heavier, have much less stable target IDs and less depth than the Vanquish. Not shooting the breeze here, I have done head to head testing with a Vanquish 440, AT Pro, AT Gold and Fisher F19 on the same wild targets. Vanquish 440 won easily for overall depth and target ID accuracy and testing was done in mild and moderately iron mineralized dirt. The Vanquish will also do very well at a saltwater beach.

I am a long-time Deus user and currently have the ORX and use it often. I would pick the Vanquish 440 over the ORX for normal coin and jewelry hunting 100% of the time especially for a newbie. The ORX at heart is a gold prospecting and iron contaminated site relic detector that just happens to have two modes called coin fast and coin deep. The original precursor of the ORX called the Depar 600 did not have any multi tone discrimination modes. XP added those two discrimination modes to the ORX to make it more versatile. They are very limited in audio features and take some practice to master in modern aluminum trashed areas. I do use mine for occasional coin/jewelry hunting in thick aluminum trash but that works for shallower coin sized targets only in my area. The audio takes some getting used to for sure.

I would get a Minelab either the 540 or 600 the multi iq is just amazing

I have the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack and I can tell you it goes deep, I'm finding silvers, IHP and plenty of wheats. I'm totally happy with my Vanquish but my next detector will most likely be the Equinox.

I have an Equinox 800 and a Vanquish 540. Honestly, the Vanquish is fantastic even on saltwater beaches. Yes, the Equinox is even better with more tuning ability and waterproof. Of what you mentioned, I'd get the EQ600, but don't discount the Vanquish, it's a great machine and the one I use as a backup or for the wife when she goes.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom