For Newbies (& anyone else that needs help)

Roger B

Forum Supporter
Metal detecting enthusiasts have hobby-based responsibilities just as we all have responsibilities to our families, employers and governments. These responsibilities include respecting fellow hobbyists, the public and, perhaps most importantly, our planet. Once you have learned to enjoy the wonderful hobby of detecting metal, learn to be an ambassador for it as well. Your goodwill may help the next generation discover the wonders of metal detection.

1. Do Not Trespass

Perhaps no other act gives a worse reputation to those that use metal detectors. There have been entire areas that have had access shut down to those using metal detectors because of a few hobbyists that could not follow the rules. For most us, the notion not to trespass comes as second nature. However, some enthusiasts get into the spirit of the hunt, and treat the metal detector as if it’s a license to do as they please. Benefit us all by respecting the rights of others. Asking permission to go metal detecting on private property is a must for anyone who wants to detect metal. Following the proper protocol gives all metal detecting enthusiasts a good name!

2. In the Public eye

If you’ve gone metal detecting beyond your local haunts, then you’ve probably found areas where people are not fond of enthusiasts using metal detectors. That didn’t happen by accident. Sadly, this occurred because inconsiderate people introduced that community to the worst aspects of our pastime. We can all have the same effect in a positive way by being on our best behavior, respecting others, and by teaching our children how to act appropriately when participating in the great hobby of metal detecting.

3. Take a Trash Bag

As a metal detecting enthusiast, the worst possible sight is to witness a peer uncover a “treasure” only to discard it on the ground. Always take a trash bag or two as part of your gear, and make certain to properly discard of all the worthless items you find. Better yet, think green and do you part to help the community by discarding of any trash you encounter along the way. By metal detecting in this manner you’ll be viewed as an asset to the community.

4. Re-fill your holes

“Leave only footprints” are words by which everyone with a metal detector should live and play. There was a time when it was inconceivable to leave holes behind. Today, it is both unfortunate and common to witness metal detection enthusiasts walking away from holes they’ve just dug. The digging of holes is a necessary aspect of our pastime. It only becomes an evil when we refuse to replace divots and fill holes. Exposed holes can cause injury and are unsightly. It’ only takes a few moments to clean up after one’s self.

5. Respect Your Peers’ Boundaries

Metal detecting enthusiasts are a small group, and most of us feel a bond even to strangers who are fellow enthusiasts. Some take that bond a little too far by feeling entitled to invade another’s space. There’s nothing wrong with introducing yourself, but if you see a treasure hunter actively searching an area, respect boundaries, and choose another area to search.

There was a time when these rules of etiquette were common and unspoken for those who used metal detectors. Times have changed. However, you can help to set a standard by leading by example when out in the field with your metal detector.

Nice refresher. Item 5, is what gets me. I would never detect in the same area where there is another enthusiast however, it seems that some dont feel the same. Had that happen to me, I mean within 10 foot this guy started swinging. It was like my 2nd hunt ever and thought to myself (wow I thought there was some un-written code/rule etc about that kind of stuff)...anyways, just rambling...again nice post.. TD

Back
Top Bottom