Silver and relics from last couple weeks

Chroma

Elite Member
Here are my best finds from the past couple weeks. I've had pretty good luck in the silver department, with three 925 rings and a 1942 P dime. I'm still trying to find my first gold ring. The second photo shows a few relics I've found. I think the circular brass piece is a part of a pocket watch. The buckle and the pottery shards are from an 1820s farm site. This particular site has yet to produce an old coin, but I'm holding out hope. Any info on the era/style of the buckle would be appreciated, if anyone out there is well versed in buckles. Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

silver-jan.jpg

relics-jan.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on not only the silver, but on the relics. I love seeing the variety. Well done.

Doug

Congratulations on not only the silver, but on the relics. I love seeing the variety. Well done.

Doug

Thanks Turtlefoot, I enjoy finding the relics (the brass ones especially) as much as I enjoy finding silver. Here are a couple recently found headstamps:

"WINCHESTER NO 12 NEW RIVAL"
newrival.jpg

"WINCHESTER NO 12 REPEATER"
repeater.jpg

I don't know much about these headstamps other than the suggested date range from your website (late 1800s to early 1900s if I remember correctly).

Last edited:
Nice rings and yes I'm fairly certain that headstamp is from early 1900s. The flat brass piece I believe is a spacer from a hand crank meat grinder. Don't anguish too much over the gold ring, you'll happen upon one when you least expect it. Took me years before I got my first. Silver ones seem to come more readily for me.

Don

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the sterling and Merc, and relics. Good luck, Mark

Nice rings and yes I'm fairly certain that headstamp is from early 1900s. The flat brass piece I believe is a spacer from a hand crank meat grinder. Don't anguish too much over the gold ring, you'll happen upon one when you least expect it. Took me years before I got my first. Silver ones seem to come more readily for me.

Thanks y'all. Don, that's an interesting guess about the flat brass piece. I wouldn't have thought of that. Although the meat grinder pieces I saw on Google Images tended to be complete circles with a very uniform/symmetrical pattern. The piece I have is asymmetrical. I'm going to detect at some old elementary schools and see if I can get lucky with the gold. And yes, it certainly seems that silver rings are more plentiful than gold rings, probably because they don't sound like pull tabs!

Great finds , congrats.
Very similar over here in Scotland.

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_222506_213[35430].jpg
    IMG_20220120_222506_213[35430].jpg
    73 KB · Views: 137
I haven’t found pottery like that yet, that piece although small is Absolutely beautiful!!!

Thanks, I found the piece with the cow on it while I was digging for a clad quarter. It's sort of a nice coincidence that the shard has a cow on it because the site was a dairy farm.

Great finds , congrats.
Very similar over here in Scotland.

That's a nice assortment of pottery. I read online that blue and white pottery was popularized in China in the 1300s, so it has the potential to be pretty old. My shards probably don't predate the 1820s though. In Scotland, yours could easily be much older.

Congrats on the silver and relics!

Thanks!

Hi Chroma.
Blue and white pottery in the UK was known as willow pattern and was based on the Chinese style as you mentioned.
This began in 1780 in Staffordshire.
Of course not all blue and white was willow pattern but it is definitely the predominant style.
It lies all over the field where i do my detecting. Strange really as decorated plates etc would of been quite the thing back in the day, almost like they finished there dinner and threw the plates away ha ha.

Last edited:
Hi Chroma.
Blue and white pottery in the UK was known as willow pattern and was based on the Chinese style as you mentioned.
This began in 1780 in Staffordshire.
Of course not all blue and white was willow pattern but it is definitely the predominant style.
It lies all over the field where i do my detecting. Strange really as decorated plates etc would of been quite the thing back in the day, almost like they finished there dinner and threw the plates away ha ha.

Interesting! Yeah, you do have to wonder how the pieces got there in the first place. Probably people chucking broken plates into the waste pile, and the plow has spread everything out over the years.

Nice trio of rings and a Merc :thumbsup:

Thanks GroundSweeper

Back
Top Bottom