Signal Processing History

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
It is no secret that our US Navy had/has probably the very best underwater signal processing systems in the world.

What I read many years ago that our Navy recorded the audio signature of every ship and submarine that the navy encountered and recorded it. These along with very sophisticated software were used on Digital Equipment Corp (DEC) mini computers in the submarines and in a matter of a few seconds or minutes they could match up any sound they were currently listening to in the submarine to the specific ship that matched the sound. It appears that it is impossible to make two identical ships that make the identical sound signature.

Keep in mind none of this info came from official sources, I just read about it somewhere many years ago.

The systems are likely more effective even now.

And yes our modern metal detectors do use signal processing software and chips and yes we can with say the CTC3030 have the detector compare signals to good and bad targets to either accept or reject those targets. Not perfect, but pretty darn good in my opinion.

For 12 years I was employed by a defense contractor as lead electronic tech, I maintained secret clearance as a civilian when I was in my 20’s and early 30’s. We designed and built sonobuoys and test equipment to be used in anti-submarine warfare. A lot of signal processing electronics involved. Was the best time of my life as I flew around the country visiting different naval bases and test sites, and also spent time out to sea. We also designed and built sonar test equipment for other allied countries.

For 12 years I was employed by a defense contractor as lead electronic tech, I maintained secret clearance as a civilian when I was in my 20’s and early 30’s. We designed and built sonobuoys and test equipment to be used in anti-submarine warfare. A lot of signal processing electronics involved. Was the best time of my life as I flew around the country visiting different naval bases and test sites, and also spent time out to sea. We also designed and built sonar test equipment for other allied countries.

I was in the Army in the early 60's as a fixed station crypto equipment repairman. Of course I had access to some very sensitive info. After reading the document I signed to get my security clearance, I am pretty sure I will never discuss any of that info. Yes it is most likely obsolete now, but from what I read in that signed document, they were pretty serious about us keeping our mouth's shut.

Back
Top Bottom