Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Owl Engineering
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Old 12-30-2021, 11:07 AM
Elite Member

Default Dec thrift store finds

Dec was a pretty busy month. The 2 rings..large "diamond" and gold band were my Christmas gift so they weren't exactly super cheap but not real expensive either. The "diamond" I think is an old school Imperialite that they had in the late 50s to substitute for a diamond. You could find these in the old catalogs. The band is made by Art'n Gold..a company I never heard of. I think it was a mans and was only worn on special occasions. Now the very large CZ I found at an antique mall place. I've been in this place a hundred times and have looked at this vendors stuff before and never found anything till this..14kt. $12.00. The yellow ring was posted on FB Marketplace and could tell right off it was real. Almost nobody puts 14 prongs on junk jewelry..it turns out to be 10kt. with yellow topaz..$15.00. I also bought the sterling bracelet and grape earrings from her for another $5. Both are very vintage. Found a 14kt. teddy bear and chain for $2 and sold it for $100. Pair of sterling hoops, find lots of them. I bought a bag of odds and end jewelry and ended up finding the native American and cat earrings which are both sterling and some other stuff that can be sold. The 14kt. gold and ruby earrings were a mere .75 small but real nice. Also I found the ugly diamond and sterling earrings along with the amethyst and sterling and I believe those were .50 each. Also I found the sterling Pro chain that same day not sure what that cost me but I'm sure it wasn't much. Estate sale find was a large sterling heart pendant that was $5.00 and sold for $20.00. So it ended up being a good month for stuff. Most of the shops are closed till after the New Year so I have to cool my heels for a few days. Happy New Year everyone and please stay safe out there...its a crazy world...
Attached Images

Last edited by aviationgale; 12-30-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:47 PM
Supporter

Quite the haul! I especially like the bought-for-two-sold-for-a-hundred teddy bear necklace! Thriftin' money for next month!

Old 12-31-2021, 08:00 PM
Supporter

Thanks for sharing a good read!

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1787 NJ Copper; Oldest US silver coin: 1811/09 Capped Bust Dime; 2020 FTY Clad: $1,635.36; 2021 FTY Clad: $1,496.91. Most coin amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103; Nickels-53. 2022 FTY Silvers: 3

Old 12-31-2021, 09:10 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Quite the haul! I especially like the bought-for-two-sold-for-a-hundred teddy bear necklace! Thriftin' money for next month!
Yeah that was a big surprise. I just walked in looked at the basket of stuff immediately saw it..bought it..went home researched and put it online. A day or 2 later..sold! Just never know...

Old 12-31-2021, 09:13 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JAK View post
Thanks for sharing a good read!
Your welcome..I am hoping January I will do just as good.....

Old 01-01-2022, 03:11 PM
Elite Member

Nice finds!

Old 01-01-2022, 05:45 PM
Elite Member

Good eye, nice haul to end the year!
It's amazing how much stuff is out there for the taking...

Old 01-02-2022, 08:23 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
Good eye, nice haul to end the year!
It's amazing how much stuff is out there for the taking...
I only wish I started this 40 years ago...can you imagine the stuff that got overlooked in that time...yikes!

Old 01-03-2022, 06:00 PM

Default Great job.

Again, great job on the thrift store finds.
You really have an good eye for that stuff.
Our thrift stores donít give up stuff like yours do and our garage sales are done for the winter, but the estate sales still give up some goodies up here. Nice to find things they miss!
HH

Old 01-05-2022, 07:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Benson10 View post
Again, great job on the thrift store finds.
You really have an good eye for that stuff.
Our thrift stores donít give up stuff like yours do and our garage sales are done for the winter, but the estate sales still give up some goodies up here. Nice to find things they miss!
HH
Thanks its a lot of fun no doubt. I did figure out that if at all possible you have to hit these stores as much as possible because one day they have nothing the next bam its all right there in front of your face. Get familiar with the gold "number" marking..375..417...585..750. I don't think most of the thrift stores are familiar with those markings. I almost missed one one day and then it clicked....hey dummy that's 10kt! I just picked a sterling doozy for January's month wrap up....

Old 01-05-2022, 09:55 PM
Elite Member

Excellent finds and profiting 👍