Equinox bluetooth dropping out

aj0421

Elite Member
Does anyone else have have issues with your Bluetooth connection dropping out and coming back on? I noticed it when I go to change sensitivity on my machine and didn't hear the normal beeps when adjusting the value. My machine would go quiet but I could look down and see a VDI! It happened today with some Samsung Level U pro headphones I tried to use so I stopped and went to using the WM08 module and it didn't do it.

Could it have been from beachgoers causing me to lose signal?

Does anyone else have have issues with your Bluetooth connection dropping out and coming back on? I noticed it when I go to change sensitivity on my machine and didn't hear the normal beeps when adjusting the value. My machine would go quiet but I could look down and see a VDI! It happened today with some Samsung Level U pro headphones I tried to use so I stopped and went to using the WM08 module and it didn't do it.

Could it have been from beachgoers causing me to lose signal?

I may not be able to correctly answer your question, but I will try.
The WM08 module works on Minelab’s proprietary Wi-Stream system and has virtually no lag. It is almost like listening to the on board speaker or having headphones plugged into the audio port on the back of the control pod. It’s only drawback is that it is a line of sight transmitter.

The Bluetooth transmitter in the Equinox is Qualcomm Bluetooth 5.0 APTX Low Latency compatible. It will work with APTX only headphones/earbuds like your Samsung Level U Pros, but there will be a lot of lag, some dropouts and some static at least from my experience using other APTX (not Low Latency) Bluetooth headphones. Targets are harder to pinpoint and center under the coil and I often got static on larger/shallower aluminum targets. I don’t know where the receiver is in the Samsung Level U Pros but it may also need to have an unobstructed line to the Equinox control box.

I may not be able to correctly answer your question, but I will try.
The WM08 module works on Minelab’s proprietary Wi-Stream system and has virtually no lag. It is almost like listening to the on board speaker or having headphones plugged into the audio port on the back of the control pod. It’s only drawback is that it is a line of sight transmitter.

The Bluetooth transmitter in the Equinox is Qualcomm Bluetooth 5.0 APTX Low Latency compatible. It will work with APTX only headphones/earbuds like your Samsung Level U Pros, but there will be a lot of lag, some dropouts and some static at least from my experience using other APTX (not Low Latency) Bluetooth headphones. Targets are harder to pinpoint and center under the coil and I often got static on larger/shallower aluminum targets. I don’t know where the receiver is in the Samsung Level U Pros but it may also need to have an unobstructed line to the Equinox control box.

Thank you for your response. I will give them another try in a different environment and see if I still have drop out issues. If it still happens I will just put them on the side for now.

Last edited:
This is happening to a lot of people.
IMO send them in with that description
and the Tech will see it drip out.

I sent mine in to be checked out for the exact reason.
He said in a 45 minute span it dropped out several times.
Minelab just sent me a new pod.

I think its happening to people and they dont even realize it.
Keep doing a noise cancel and see how many times it drops out
during cancel.

This is happening to a lot of people.
IMO send them in with that description
and the Tech will see it drip out.

I sent mine in to be checked out for the exact reason.
He said in a 45 minute span it dropped out several times.
Minelab just sent me a new pod.

I think its happening to people and they dont even realize it.
Keep doing a noise cancel and see how many times it drops out
during cancel.

The original poster was describing a problem with Bluetooth headphones/earbuds that are not totally compatible with Bluetooth 4/5 APTX Low Latency systems.

If he is also having drop-outs with BT APTX Low Latency headphones/earbuds......he did not mention that.

I've owned 5 Equinox. One had an issue with pairing to 3rd party BT ATPX Low Latency earbuds. It worked fine with two different pairs of stock Minelab ML 80s. I sent in the control pod and the 3rd party earbuds. They sent me a new/refurbished pod and I had no further problems. Took about 10 days.

Whether this is happening to "lots" of people, I can't answer that. You had a problem. I had a problem. Some people have user operator problems/confusion which has nothing to do with Minelab.

I don't know what finally happened in the original poster's case.

Good catch J, I missed he is using different headphones.
I will say this, I have 4 Equinox 800's right now. I just sold a 5th.
Using the headphone module, with NDT Gray Ghost headphones, it drops out
occasionally. Not once in a while. Enough to make you think "Hey what the hell"
It happens couple times an hour. Sound just disappears for a second.
I am thinking about trying wired waterproof phones and see if it stops.
Jer

Jer

I have experienced momentary dropouts with the WM08 module also. Minelab clearly states that the front of the Wi-Stream WM08 module and the control pod require "line of sight" for optimal operation. If I put the WM08 in my pocket, turn the WM08 sideways, turn my body away from the control pod or have anything blocking "line of sight" a momentary dropout can occur.

Jer

I have experienced momentary dropouts with the WM08 module also. Minelab clearly states that the front of the Wi-Stream WM08 module and the control pod require "line of sight" for optimal operation. If I put the WM08 in my pocket, turn the WM08 sideways, turn my body away from the control pod or have anything blocking "line of sight" a momentary dropout can occur.

The line of sight and distance thing with the WM08 is a giant issue. I went with direct wired phones. Zero issues.

Also there can be compatibility issues with the 1/8 to 1/4 jack cable connector. Those connectors do not always work with certain phones. Had all kind of issues.

The line of sight and distance thing with the WM08 is a giant issue. I went with direct wired phones. Zero issues.

Also there can be compatibility issues with the 1/8 to 1/4 jack cable connector. Those connectors do not always work with certain phones. Had all kind of issues.

Where I often detect, in rocky, high altitude terrain, being tethered to a detector is the last thing I want to do. I have learned to deal with the "line of sight" limitations of the WM08 module and really enjoy using it especially for very small gold nugget prospecting where its minimum amount of lag and clear audio work really well.

Hmm. I have had problems with the ML factory bt headphones not pairing with my 800, so I usually use the WM08 module. I turn it on and keep it in a pocket while detecting. Always connects quickly and stays connected. The only time I ever hear it drop out is when I walk about 20 feet away from the detector. Never thought about line-of-sight. Always seems rock solid, no matter if I have the WM08 in my shirt pocket, coat pocket, front pants pocket, or clipped on my belt on the side or in front.
I only use headphones with 1/8" jacks, so no 1/4" adapters to make a weak link.

I have for the time being given up on the Samsung headphones. I use the WM08 module or the ML80 headphones. I was just trying to use something in the hotter weather.

Back
Top Bottom