In pain but worth it !!!!!

foreverRich

Forum Supporter
As some of you know I had to give up detecting because of my back and hips. It got where I couldn't get up and down for any length of time. Today the weather and reading other's posts pushed me to take my oldest detector(Discovery3300) up to the old school I have detected for over 30 years. I didn't last more than an hour, but the detecting Gods smiled down on me.:D I got next to the oldest coin I have ever found there. It is an 1877 Seated Dime. It is pretty much wore out, but I don't care!! I was as happy as I have been in years. Obviously the dime was lost when the property was farmland, before the school was built. The original school was built in the early 1900s. The oldest coin I had ever found came from there. It was an 1805 Dime. I might just have to reconsider quitting.:yes:

Attachments

• 2272016 Hunt.jpg
    2272016 Hunt.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 468
  • 1877 Dime Obverse.jpg
    1877 Dime Obverse.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 448
  • 1877 Dime Reverse.jpg
    1877 Dime Reverse.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 455
1877 Cleaned up a little

Washed it a little, but hard to get a decent picture.

Attachments

• 1877 Dime Obverse2.jpg
    1877 Dime Obverse2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 439
Congrats on getting out and scoring, I know first hand about the pains
Good luck hope you online on to have more great hunts .
HH

Congratulations on a great find and being able to get out. I also have a bad back, so I know how difficult it can be to hunt for any length of time.

Wow man great to see you here and out there detecting. Hope you are well and more trips out detecting come soon.. Stay well my friend!

Thanks. It was killing me not detecting. I am going to try again, even if it's for an hour. I will just be more selective about when I dig. It paid off pretty good today.

Good for you!!!!!!!! I'm really happy that you were able to get out and find something that super nice. Big Congrats!

beephead

Good work, have you tried using one of the longer shovels so that you don't have to get down much? I use a 31 inch and I have had 4 knee surgeries, it helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In pain

Good work, have you tried using one of the longer shovels so that you don't have to get down much? I use a 31 inch and I have had 4 knee surgeries, it helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, but a shovel would be frowned on on the school ground I am hunting. I used a shovel almost exclusively while relic hunting. Anything larger than the Lesche digger draws too much attention.

Awesome find!! I'm glad to see you are excited about that find, I know you must have hundreds of great finds. Pace yourself my friend...

I've enjoyed reading your posts -- you have vast experiences and knowledge to share. :yes:

GL&HH

I hunt alot of public places with mine, zero issues, look at the t handle Sampsons, the blade is about the size of your hand ....used it for two years now. They are indestructible as well.

As some of you know I had to give up detecting because of my back and hips. It got where I couldn't get up and down for any length of time. Today the weather and reading other's posts pushed me to take my oldest detector(Discovery3300) up to the old school I have detected for over 30 years. I didn't last more than an hour, but the detecting Gods smiled down on me.:D I got next to the oldest coin I have ever found there. It is an 1877 Seated Dime. It is pretty much wore out, but I don't care!! I was as happy as I have been in years. Obviously the dime was lost when the property was farmland, before the school was built. The original school was built in the early 1900s. The oldest coin I had ever found came from there. It was an 1805 Dime. I might just have to reconsider quitting.:yes:

Awesome! Any pics of the 1805 that you found?

Pain

Awesome find!! I'm glad to see you are excited about that find, I know you must have hundreds of great finds. Pace yourself my friend...

I've enjoyed reading your posts -- you have vast experiences and knowledge to share. :yes:

GL&HH

If you want to get an idea of my past finds go to my profile and check out my album. Those are just a few of the fings that I thought were worth showing.:yes:

1805 Dime

Awesome! Any pics of the 1805 that you found?

I found it early in my career. Before I took pictures of finds. Also before I realized the value of my finds. I sold it to a local coin dealer for $175. That was a lot of money to me at the time. Sure wish I hadn't sold it.:( They got me !! Live and learn. I also gave away a US Lifesaving Service badge to the Museum in Virginia Beach, only to find out it was worth $500.00. I got smarter (I hope) as I have gotten older.:D

Last edited:
Congrats on an excellent find. Even more congrats on pushing your self to get out there and swing again.

I found it early in my career. Before I took pictures of finds. Also before I realized the value of my finds. I sold it to a local coin dealer for $175. That was a lot of money to me at the time. Sure wish I hadn't sold it.:( They got me !! Live and learn. I also gave away a US Lifesaving Service badge to the Museum in Virginia Beach, only to find out it was worth $500.00. I got smarter (I hope) as I have gotten older.:D

Too bad you sold it but I understand about the money. It's actually pretty awesome that you gave something to a museum. Just checked out your album and it's incredible. Such a nice variety of amazing finds!

Back
Top Bottom