Networking = another great button off my checklist :D

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Hey all!

So a while back I had done some MD'ing at a friend's place down in Saxapahaw. I ran into her at the coffeeshop the other day, we got to talking about detecting, and she invited me over to show some of my recent digs. While there, she mentioned a friend of hers who has a couple of foundations on his property that I should check out. By the time I got home she had already emailed him and set it up, and I went out there this evening.

The foundations were really cool! He thought, based on size and construction, that they were probably sharecropper or slave cabins. After my second target, I had a new theory. I believe they were student boarding houses for the nearby Bingham School sometime between 1844 to 1864.

The reason for this theory is my brand new dug BS block letter uniform cuff button!! WOOHOO!! I've got 4 script style coat buttons from various locations, but I have wanted a block style button and a cuff button for a while now. Now I get to cross them off my wishlist, YAY! It's in terrible shape (the back is separated, hardly any gilt, poor details, etc) but it's the one I found and I'm very happy with it!! :D

I know there's more goodies out there to find, and I was invited back for more. Oh, and the homeowner had a friend over, who invited me to her old farm property, too. I might be getting a name for myself around here :)

Attachments

• cellarhole1.JPG
    cellarhole1.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 286
  • cellarhole2.JPG
    cellarhole2.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 290
  • button1.JPG
    button1.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 278
  • button2.JPG
    button2.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 270
  • button3.JPG
    button3.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 264
  • button case.JPG
    button case.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 302
Thanks! I forgot to mention, this makes the 4th *different* spot that I've found a BS button, and none of them have been at either of the actual school sites. I did get to hunt the "new school" site (1865-1891) and got skunked there, haha!

Back
Top Bottom