Is there any detector that will pick up coins 2"+ below rusted nails?

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
Last week I took a trip to upstate NY to an old farmstead that my sister owns. Her husband believes the main part of the old farmhouse to be early 1800's maybe even late 1700's the carriage house and barn are newer, but still over 100 years old. I went over and over the yard around the house with my F70 and got constant iron signals which for the most part were shallow 3-5" nails. If there were coins below that layer of nails I didn't find any. Is there any detector that will hit on coins say 2" or more below nails? And believe me, I dug a lot of iffy signals and most were bent nails that gave a false high tone and or numbers. I dug 11 wheats in a fairly small part of the yard and a little over 50 older memorials in the same basic area. Just wondering if I was passing over silver and couldn't pick it up because of the layer of nails? Just for kicks and ran my 8" compadre over the same area and only came up with one more wheatie and one or two more copper memorials. I have doubts that anything was really deep because as soon as I got past the 3-4" of topsoil the soil was very stony like river gravel, but some of the pennies I found were in the 5" area right in the gravel/stones.

Last edited:
Some detectors that perform well in iron, and offer some 3D performance in sites like you are describing.

Xp Deus
Nokta Impact
Nokta relic
Rutus alter 71
Makro Racers 1 and 2
Nokta FORS CoRe
Nokta gold+
Xp Goldmaxx
Xp Goldmaxx power

There could be others, but these do work well.

Have seen a gent on video who busted sites hard (loaded with iron and nails) using Tesoros, took in Deus and starting getting signals of nonferous, lots of them actually.
This gent btw very experienced detecorist.
This was back when Deus first came to USA version 2.0.

Got to handle a couple Tesorsos, one problem using them is the disc setting.
It is guess work to set right based on detecting scenario.

The units I mention, disc setting more digital, less guess work involved.
Concentric coils do have their advantages, but moreso in 2 d plane.

Dd coils on the right units offer more 3D effect on ummasking around iron and nails.

Detector cost does come into play.
How much is a person willing to spend?
Tesoros are cheaper than a lot of the others.

Cheers.

Thanks for the video Ghound. I wonder how the Rutus would fair if it had been included in that test?

I also wonder if any would get a signal if the quarter was directly below one of those nails?

I've done a similar test with my F70 but with a silver quarter only one thickness of a 2x4 (1.5") below rusted nails...I also had them spaced closer to the quarter...if I recall correctly, less than an inch between the quarter and the nails on either side. My F70 would pick up the quarter.

BTW, in the video posted, if those are standard 2x4's the quarter would be 3" below the nails, not 4".

Not my video mate, just one i remember watching.
The Rutus eats that test easily as does some other detectors with large coils as they seem to see around the nails above, i did have a video of the Rutus doing in in ground, i'll dig it out. What i like about the Rutus is you can sweep slow and really cut and slice between targets.
Also, here's the GM5 with 15" coil lol

https://youtu.be/67chFU3pML4

NC Toad,

Picking up such targets as you describe, will depend on actual scenario of the layout of ferrous and nonferrous.

Some detectors will do better here (see my list) but this don't mean some other detectors won't alert a user too.

You see some detectors the better performing in iron,,,will allow a user more angles of approach to target and still detect.

Now, this angle is not the same for all detectrors,even the better performing on average.

To a point, this approach angle difference when comparing detectors can be viewed as almost like splitting hairs.

Can be coil size dependent too.

But even a sliver of advantage with approach angle could be the difference in a detecorist digging or walking by a find.

There can also be some differences with actual coil height above ground too and stil get alerted to target.

Have seen a gent on video who busted sites hard (loaded with iron and nails) using Tesoros, took in Deus and starting getting signals of nonferous, lots of them actually.
This gent btw very experienced detecorist.
This was back when Deus first came to USA version 2.0.

Got to handle a couple Tesorsos, one problem using them is the disc setting.
It is guess work to set right based on detecting scenario.

The units I mention, disc setting more digital, less guess work involved.
Concentric coils do have their advantages, but moreso in 2 d plane.

Dd coils on the right units offer more 3D effect on ummasking around iron and nails.

Detector cost does come into play.
How much is a person willing to spend?
Tesoros are cheaper than a lot of the others.

Cheers.

Just have to disagree on this one. Vaquero with 5.75" concentric just flat out smokes everything I have tested in my garden with 3d plane testing. More specifically 2" nails above 4" quarter. Even the Impact... not even close. This was just a specific test though.

Just have to disagree on this one. Vaquero with 5.75" concentric just flat out smokes everything I have tested in my garden with 3d plane testing. More specifically 2" nails above 4" quarter. Even the Impact... not even close. This was just a specific test though.

I don't rally behind any one detector model,,,just because they do well with one test.
I need to see detector doing above average on multiple tests (multiple scenarios).

I almost bought one but I think I watched a nail test with one and it wasn't that impressive if I remember correctly. that is the vista , smart ?

Honestly, most any detector that isn't known as an iron lover will do best in that type of situation with a 4", 5", or 6" coil. Hitting that coin between nails is about all you can hope for, and a coil bigger than 6" isn't going to get it done regardless of the machine it's on.

FWIW, a lower frequency will "excite" iron far less, and high conductors like silver and copper far more.

There is a misconception that can be had by some.

Small coils don't always alert on some things nonferrous,,and some of the same missed nonferrous here a larger coil may alert on. (And this not depth related necessarily)

And this works vice versa too.
Even when we are using various sizes coils on the actual same detector(using peak user settings for scenario) when comparing over undisturbed suspect nonferrous targets.

Some examples Xp Deus with 11" coil may alert on nonferous in site with nails and iron, yet 9" coil won't.
And vice versa.

Nokta Impact using smallest coil can alert user to nonferrous in nail pit, but slip on stock coil you may or may not hear the target.
Some nonferrous alerted with stock coil using Impact, slip the smallest coil on and you may or may not,,,even on a mere 4" deep nonferrous target.

Fun ha.
Lots of things go on, with detectors and coil fields as they are swept when they interact with the ground, ferrous and nonferrous.

Now, some times multiple sized coils will indeed alert on nonferrous target, after the target is located with say a one detector and coil setup.
One problem here, this doesn't paint the overall true pic.
It is very possible one setup has an advantage for actually seeking out the nonferrous find in the "WILD". And as such was discovered with such.

So, when you watch you tube videos,,be careful of what you draw conclusion wise when you are making up your mind on a purchase.

Head to head comparisons DO NOT always paint the true pic of what is happening or going on with a detectors tendencies or performance.

I recommend folks who are looking for info concerning a detector purchase, to consider muliple persons and or sources.
The minerlization levels of soil,,be mindful of this,,in milder soil this can make a detector look unusually good. In higher minerlized soil, this can make a detector look unusually bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom