How close to the water Mama?

Budman1

We're going to the beach soon and I haven't read anywhere about using my Bounty Hunter Quicksilver in shallow water.....is that a no-no? Can I coat the coil and connections to protect them?

Though the coils is waterproof you'll need to stick to the dry sand / towel like with a vlf single frequency machine. You can try the wet sand but it'll false, IF it's a saltwater beach anyway...

Good luck out there :)

We're going to the beach soon and I haven't read anywhere about using my Bounty Hunter Quicksilver in shallow water.....is that a no-no? Can I coat the coil and connections to protect them?

The coil and wire are waterproof but not the control box (computer part with batteries).

The more common issue with hunting the wet sand and water (by the ocean) is that single frequency machines (yours) are not able to handle the conductive salt. When you get near the wet sand and water, you'll need to lower the sensitivity or you will start getting false signals. Beeps-bloops-bips that are eroneous and not signaling a real target.

With the sens decreased, you may be able to still hunt, but your depth will be much lower as well as your sensitivity to smaller mass objects.

in the dry sand, you'll still have a great machine. So concentrate on its strengths and hunt the towel line, beach entrances, volleyball courts, etc. If you don't have a beach scoop, improvise. You can use a pasta strainer, tennis racket or make your own pvc scoop for the powder dry areas.

H/H, -David

Yeah, my Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 also has a waterproof coil. I use it on the wet sand right up to the water and if it gets splashed a little it's not going to die.

But if I submerge it and swing it in the shallows it freaks out and becomes useless for a while.

So yeah, you can probably use yours right up to the water's edge, but on that wet sand expect very little depth and a lot of false signals and chirping. If you're hunting a rich area it might be worth the effort and frustration. If it's a trashy area you'd do better up on the dry sand.

Thanks All....
David & TK421, just what I needed, many thanks, helps to know how close we can go, experience will fill in the blanks;)

Back
Top Bottom