Grandkids

RickM

New member from Pennsylvania.

My 9-year grandson has expressed an interest in doing some metal detecting and I know nothing :-)

I love researching new things - and this looks like the place to learn about metal detecting!

~ Rick M.

Good place to learn and you just might be suckered into the hobby yourself! ;)

Metal detecting is a very beginner-friendly hobby because there is a detector for every budget! Like anything, you get what you pay for in terms of quality, but there is no reason a cheap detector can't find plenty of "goodies" to keep your grandson interested. If he hasn't detected before and you're hesitant to make a big investment, metal detectors can be purchased for as little as $50-75. One that comes to mind immediately is the Bounty Hunter Junior detector which I know many have started their kids on: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J9M04BO/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1 If you find the interface to that one is a bit childish-looking, the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is around $90 on Amazon and I believe Harbor Freight may carry it cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunte...4062&sr=1-1&keywords=bounty+hunter+tracker+iv Can't vouch for either of these machines myself, as I've never used them, but the reviews are good.

If this is a hobby you feel you'd like to learn alongside your grandson or you have the budget for it, I personally vouch for any of the detectors in the Garrett Ace series, which I myself started with. https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Ace-...e=UTF8&qid=1512511320&sr=1-4&keywords=ace+150 These range from $150-350, less from the right dealer.

I see you're from Pennsylvania... if the weather there is anything like it is right now in Wisconsin you may have to wait awhile to get much detecting done as the ground is already starting to freeze (frozen from an inch down here), although of course you can always practice with metal objects on top of the ground.

I would like to add how much I admire you for wanting to help your grandson get involved in a hobby like metal detecting. Not enough kids today have hobbies that are healthy and get them out into the great outdoors. I remember one of my favorite activities at your grandson's age was carving sculptures with my pocketknife and going on nature hikes. Not enough hobbies like that today.

Glad to have you on the forum. Hope my post was helpful. :-)

Last edited:
Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Feel free to ask questions, there are many knowledgeable members here who are glad to help if they know the answer !

Reminded me of this recent thread showing how excited kids can get finding stuff when metal detecting, check it out at the link below -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=254634

One consideration is the budget range you prefer to stay within but still get a beginners level detector that is worth getting, if you need something good but still fairly low cost (about $66) check the link below where I posted a reply to someone on another thread -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2856881&postcount=2

Welcome. It's a very addictive hobby. I know lot of people that hunt during their lunch hour..just my view but buy a mid level detector.. if you end the hobby they sell fast on Craigslist. less frustration when using good equipment.

You will need a small digger and pin pointer also.

Thank you! I believe that was the warmest, sincerest, most informative welcome I have ever received.

I think I’m settling in on the Fisher F22 ($230ish), the Garrett ACE 300 ($250ish), or maybe the Garrett ACE 200 and a pinpoint detector. There is a metal detector shop about 1/2 hour from me that has a 2-year old used Fisher F44 that they sold new then took on a trade-in for around $260.

I definitely get more confused the more I look!

~ Rick M.

I would recommend a pin-pointer no matter which detector you choose. Finding a dirt colored coin in dirt colored dirt can get frustrating without a pinpointer. I think it would also make it easier to work as a team, otherwise one of you is just watching the other have fun.

:fmdfwelcome: Glad that you have joined us! One very affordable detector is the Harbor Freight 9-Function (under $50). While not high-end, it is easy to use, and I recommend it for beginners. (I do not recommend the 6-Function, on which ground-balance must be manually adjusted every few minutes.)

Once you have your detector, it's a good idea to practice in your yard. This helps you get the hang of it, and gives you experience in neatly making and filling your holes (plugs). Plus, you never know what's underneath your own dirt!

Don't be discouraged if you don't find exciting things right away. Remember that the fun is in the hunt, and the treasure is there somewhere, waiting for you to find it!

Have fun with your new hobby, and more importantly, with your grandson! :grin:

Welcome to the forum, Rick!

I don't know where in PA you are, but if you're anywhere near So. Lancaster County, give me a shout! Always looking for someone to detect with!

Welcome from Arizona! The decision on what metal detector can be a hard one. Start with the budget and then start reviewing the forum for pros and cons of the detectors in that price range. A lot of times the budget goes up a little when you read and learn what a few more dollars can offer in detector options. Like every other hobby or passion now days you can spend as much as you want. Of greater importance I think is practice and learning the detector and then hunting location. Then it's just perseverance. Those who hunt the most, normally find the most!
Whatever you get, good luck and have fun. There are very few hobbies that can actually pay for themselves, promote activity within all age groups and let you get outdoors and exercise at the same time!

Welcome and be warned, you can get sucked in to the point where your watching the superbowl and think to yourself: "I wonder if anyone has detected that field yet?"

As to beginner detectors a good starter one will run you between $150 and say $400. I started with a Whites Coinmaster myself and it more than paid for itself. To the point all my detectors have more than paid for themselves. I've literally pulled thousands from beaches over the last 4 years and had the assistance of my 11 yr old grandson as well.

One word of advice, if your grandson lacks patience and perseverance go low on the initial purchase to see how he takes to it.

If your considering buying the ace 200 I would just buy the Ace 250 because it comes with a lot more for very little extra money. One thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the 250 has built in pinpointing and the 200 doesn't. It can be very frustrating trying to find a small object in the ground when it could be anywhere in a 1 foot by 1 foot square.

Hello

Just wanted to say hello! It’s great that your thinking of getting the grandchildren into this hobby! Very addictive and great to get the kids outdoors!

Good luck!

Welcome! I have a 10 year-old who is often my hunting buddy, so I have some experience in this area. My son's attention span is short. Some great advice has already been provided. Here's what I would say/add:

Get a decent detector and a Pinpointer, as mentioned. Seed a yard with coins and other stuff, including some trash. Mark some of it with wood stakes and labels. Tell him you seeded the yard. Then, go out hunting in the seeded yard together and get to know the machine, pinpointer, etc. ensuring he gets some "wins" under his belt.

Once he's confident and hooked, start getting some permissions and plan to go for about an hour at a time. Be patient (I'm not so it's funny I am saying this) and make it fun. Teach him to dig a proper plug and repair the hole, carry out trash and leave the place better than you found it.

My son is good for about 30 minutes unless we get some finds, then it goes to an hour. I make it fun by getting food beforehand or getting hot chocolate, etc.

Have a great time together!

Back
Top Bottom