Returned a Garrett ATPro for repair

So I'm thinking that if the pinpointer built into the AT Pro is useless why do they have it? Would it not make sense to eliminate it altogether and perhaps lower the price a little? I do have a handheld garrett pinpointer also, and it picks up large objects under two or three inches of dirt but on small objects like a coin, it almost has to touch them before it sends an audio.

It may come in handy when using a non double D coil since pinpointing with them is a little different. But with the double D , wiggle back if by far the best way to pinpoint. The PP button on the AT detectors is also pressed to change the frequency , so the button has more than one purpose. Occasionally mine will overload over a large target and momentarily freeze a number on the display , which clears in a second or two after moving the coil away , its rare but it happens , when it does I push the pinpoint button and it clears faster....yet another purpose for that button. If it has a PP button it should work like its supposed to , even if you never need it , but as long as you are using the DD coil the wiggle back method is the way to go.

X 5. I wiggle the coil and then move 90 degrees and wiggle again. The spot where the tones intersect, that's where the target is

I can simplify that for you on 98% of targets. If you are wiggling the coil back and not hearing a double tone with each pass then you really don't need the 90 degree turn , when you have done the method correctly the target will be right at the tip in the center. Do what works best for you , just saying you are adding an extra step in the process that in most cases is just overkill. But my reply here is intended to help , not criticize.

I can simplify that for you on 98% of targets. If you are wiggling the coil back and not hearing a double tone with each pass then you really don't need the 90 degree turn , when you have done the method correctly the target will be right at the tip in the center. Do what works best for you , just saying you are adding an extra step in the process that in most cases is just overkill. But my reply here is intended to help , not criticize.

Thanks! I will give this a try

So I'm thinking that if the pinpointer built into the AT Pro is useless why do they have it? Would it not make sense to eliminate it altogether and perhaps lower the price a little? I do have a handheld garrett pinpointer also, and it picks up large objects under two or three inches of dirt but on small objects like a coin, it almost has to touch them before it sends an audio.

THe only time I use the PP on my ATPro is to change the frequency. There are four different frequencies to assist with mineralization, interference and such when hunting.

To make it perfectly clear in the beginning, I am not a dealer, and it really isn't of any concern of mine what metal detector you choose to swing.
But, in all fairness I'll say that, although I've owned the AT Pro for nearly five years, I've never had a hiccup of problems with it.
I did have a issue where I scratched the faceplate and was having difficulty seeing the digital screen.
I called Garrett, talked to Sue, and within a week they sent me three new faceplate covers, a nice Garrett Metal Detector shoulder patch and a pocket book on gold panning
My only other experience with Garrett has been regarding a problem with my GPP speaker after I stepped on it in a stream bed, and it laid submerged in mud for a couple of hours before I found it.
And, although it was well out of warranty they sent me a mailing label for pre paid FEDEX postage, repaired it or replaced it, (excepting the end cap/serial number) with a new one, and paid return postage t get it back home.
When I broke the switch on the same GPP I called Garrett, they offered to repair the GPP if I preferred to send it in, and when I declined they sent me two new switches, postage paid.
I regularly metal detect with others swinging much more expensive and really blinged out metal detectors, when compared to the cost and simplicity of my AT Pro.......and I say, UNEQUIVABLY, if I had my choice of any other metal detector on the market, I'D STILL CHOOSE MY AT Pro!

AT Pro/GPP-AT/$9.98 Ebay Digger

Ref, the AT Pro

I've got a couple AT Pro detectors. I've got a big Nel coil on one and keep a 5x8 on the other. I couldn't be happier with them. I haven't picked up a gold coin or anything platinum yet but, for this area, I think I have covered most finds with the AT Pro. Small gold necklace chains included. So they seem to do alright in my area anyway. The only problem I have had with either machine is that I somehow scratched one screen real bad. I need to get it in and get it replaced. Im sure I hit it with my digging tool. : (

I very seldom use the pinpoint feature of the machines. I can tell quite well just by swinging the coil over a target where to search for the object.

I do however complain at myself about my pin pointers (both Garrett). I have a black one that needs to go in for repair. While I used it as it was barely working, I bought an orange model. It works but not like it did when new so it may be on its way back for repair as well. I have used the heck out of these two pin pointers so I expect they may have failures due to the amount of use.

So, I'm new to all of this and wanted to post a thread to ask, but this thread seems to be a good a place as any to ask...does pretty much everyone use a handheld pin-pointer in a belt holster? This is considered a standard piece of gear, it seems.

I am looking at the Garrett pro pointer AT but just want to make sure I consider all the options before I buy one.

Keep in mind, my metal detecting experience to this point consists of picking up coins I only just recently dropped myself, and digging out a fork from beneath the rack in the dishwasher.

Thanks, again, for all your help!

So, I'm new to all of this and wanted to post a thread to ask, but this thread seems to be a good a place as any to ask...does pretty much everyone use a handheld pin-pointer in a belt holster? This is considered a standard piece of gear, it seems.

I am looking at the Garrett pro pointer AT but just want to make sure I consider all the options before I buy one.

Keep in mind, my metal detecting experience to this point consists of picking up coins I only just recently dropped myself, and digging out a fork from beneath the rack in the dishwasher.

Thanks, again, for all your help!

I know I do. It comes with one when you buy new. Works perfect with your Bags belt.

I know I do. It comes with one when you buy new. Works perfect with your Bags belt.

??

I just bought a Garrett AT Pro and it comes with a carrying case, an LED light, a digging trowel, a dubloon replica (ha. :roll: ), and a magazine subscription, but no pin pointer.

Actually, I did just see that an off-brand pin pointer was free with my purchase but I had to add it to the shopping cart before I checked out. I didn't see that offer until after I bought it. I contacted them to see if I might still get it and I'm waiting to see what they say, either way, I think I'd rather have the Garrett Pinpointer Pro AT more than the free one they offer.

??

I just bought a Garrett AT Pro and it comes with a carrying case, an LED light, a digging trowel, a dubloon replica (ha. :roll: ), and a magazine subscription, but no pin pointer.

Actually, I did just see that an off-brand pin pointer was free with my purchase but I had to add it to the shopping cart before I checked out. I didn't see that offer until after I bought it. I contacted them to see if I might still get it and I'm waiting to see what they say, either way, I think I'd rather have the Garrett Pinpointer Pro AT more than the free one they offer.

hahaha, Context is everything. I actually thought you were asking about the holster.. About 5 beers in too.. SO yes the pinpointer comes with a holster

But yes most use a handheld pinpointer. Speeds up recovery for sure. You will get folks who tell you they don't like them but they are awesome. Just another tool to make detecting fun.

The At Pro pin pointer has a sensitivity feature that you can adjust while you are searching for the target. It can also be set to work with vibrate or sound. You might want to study those features out before buying. I like the AT Pro Pinpointer but I mess up using it quite a lot because I don't pay enough attention to how I press the button. : ( I find that I have to reset my settings every now and again.

hahaha, Context is everything. I actually thought you were asking about the holster.. About 5 beers in too.. SO yes the pinpointer comes with a holster

But yes most use a handheld pinpointer. Speeds up recovery for sure. You will get folks who tell you they don't like them but they are awesome. Just another tool to make detecting fun.

Targeting bottle caps for the win!

:trip:

Back
Top Bottom