Explanation would be helpful

Scubacat

Elite Member
I was MDing a high tide line on the beach I frequent and only quarters were coming out. The beach usually delivers a wide range of different denominations but not in this case. I did it for two days and the result was the same: only one loonie and two dimes out of about twenty two coins. The rest were quarters. Does anyone have any explanation? Thanks.

On those two days MD gods were also delivering twonies (5), loonies (7) and other denominations but only when I was moving away from high tide line. Beats me. It is not a lab experiment in physics after all.

I was MDing a high tide line on the beach I frequent and only quarters were coming out. The beach usually delivers a wide range of different denominations but not in this case. I did it for two days and the result was the same: only one loonie and two dimes out of about twenty two coins. The rest were quarters. Does anyone have any explanation? Thanks.

All likely due to tides and currents, a higher tide with a strong pull creates a drag towards the ocean - the pull effect on a penny and dime will move them about more and in this case the quarters have been moved to high tide line. The penny's and dimes will have settled elsewhere. Its always worth doing endless amounts of research on tides and currents if you have a favoured beach - tides, currents and wind effects on the levels of sands etc.... takes years to do properly but can pay off handsomely as you understand how the sand moves. Despite the beaches being in an ever changing environment they do tend to have 'habits', good habits if you can recognise them.

At certain beaches that I go to I also find alot of quarters and at these beaches 90 percent of the visitor parking is by meters. Makes perfect sense to me to find mostly quarters.

Anthony

No parking meters on this beach. It is 475 steps down the hill and no pay parking in sight. As I said the beach usually delivers an assortment of denominations. Perhaps, deanosaur is right: pennies and dimes being lighter settle lower and twonies and loonies higher? But this is the first time I noticed the phenomenon. Know thy Beach?

Back
Top Bottom