Explanation of Pinpointing?

BRJ123

Elite Member
Hello everyone,

I hear a lot of folks talking about pinpointing (and I noticed my new metal detector is going to come with a giant red button labeled "pinpoint") so I was wondering if someone could explain exactly what it means, and when I might use the big red button?

Sorry for the newbie question :spin:

Thanks again!

When your coil swings over a target and beeps, then you press the big red button and slowly go over the small area and the louder the signal gets the closer you are to it. So at it's loudest point, the target should be right under the coil.

Another thing you can do with that pinpoint button:

If you are getting a lot of seemingly random false beeps (beeps that sound once but won't repeat), push in the pinpoint button and sweep the area slowly for the strongest target. Then release the button and sweep right over the spot. If you get no signal at all, the odds are that there is a large iron item in the ground and it was responsible for all the weird signals.

When you press in your pinpoint button, you automatically go to all-metal mode, which will beep on iron (which you skip over in regular discriminate mode).

Another thing you can do with that pinpoint button:

If you are getting a lot of seemingly random false beeps (beeps that sound once but won't repeat), push in the pinpoint button and sweep the area slowly for the strongest target. Then release the button and sweep right over the spot. If you get no signal at all, the odds are that there is a large iron item in the ground and it was responsible for all the weird signals.

When you press in your pinpoint button, you automatically go to all-metal mode, which will beep on iron (which you skip over in regular discriminate mode).

Metal detectors can only tell the user so much. Random beeps, and irregular readings might also be a worthwhile target just beyond the detectors ability to give an accurate account of what is down there. Any decent number in the mix should be investigated. When you get that good steady tone in all metal or VCO (voltage controlled occilator) it may just be that indian head you have been looking for. A person new to the hobby should dig those off-beat readings for better or worse. This is part of the learning curve regardless of what brand or grade of detector you have. Some will be junk, and some will be great finds. You won't know till you dig them. That is the difference between successfull and so-so hunting
Detector VDIs are unreliable beyond certain depths, for that matter, so are depth readings......Gil

Back
Top Bottom