Get those old plat books out!!

Diggin Granny

I'm new to the hobby and haven't really gone out there yet. But I am s-o-o chomping at the bit! Here's what I've done so far: I figured the best place to hunt and dig would be the county fairgrounds. So I requested permission from the sheriff (I'm acquainted) and got written permission and his rules. Then I purchased a three volume set of my county's history. After making notations, with pencil and hi-lighter, I went to the library and printed off plats for just my township. I have several years from 2012, going back to 1900's. O-M-G! :shock: I purchased 10 acres of wooded land 10 years ago. I was the first to build a house here, dig the well & septic and bring in electricity. I wasn't optimistic about scanning this property. I found a few nails, rifle shells and pull tabs under an old tree stand. However, I discovered, from the plat map, that my 10 acres was once part of an 80 acre parcel (probably farmland). My parcel is to the far north of the 80 acres, and the original house and barn were at the other end (in 1900). Went snooping, and they're still there. I know the man who owns that land and I'm sure I can get a permission. Furthermore, the History books tell of a town (hamlet?) that never made it, less than two miles from my house. It was 40 acres and had a P.O., general store and a few residential dwellings in the mid-1800's. I'm going to be all over THAT this summer as well, providing I get the permission.

Welcome from NW PA!! Sweet spots already planned out, I see. Good Luck and be sure to share your finds with us.

Back
Top Bottom