Oldest coin found! At a coinstar!!!!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
My coinstar herd has not been producing very well lately, a few clad coins here and there, but today was a major SCORE! I saw what looked like several modern tokens in the reject slot, so I scooped them up and put em in my pocket for a look see later. But when I got home, I was SHOCKED to see that one was an 1859 Canadian large cent!!!

101_5818.jpg

101_5817.JPG

Apparently there are some 20 variants of this coin with values ranging from $4 to over $3000 for a good grade. Ill have to do some research to see what I have here, but its just mind boggling that someone would let this go. Thanks for looking, and HH!

Congrats on the bice find! Looks to be in amazing shape as well!

There were a couple of people last year who posted old Canadian large cent coinstar finds as well. I don't think they were as old as this one though!

You may have already looked, but some varieties in that condition can fetch a pretty penny (no pun intended). Here's a guide on identifying the different varieties of this particular year coin.

http://www.canadiancoin.com/varieties/1859_varieties.asp

Looks like a kiddo just cashed Daddy’s coin collection....that’s the best Coinstar find Ive seen yet. Everybody seems to find 1964 Rosie’s in there,including one I found the first time I looked in one. Nothing at all worth mentioning since that first one....

Now that is a great haul.
I can see my next obsession. Driving around hitting all the coinstars in Montana !!!!

I love these coinstar finds...ive done OK at the coinstar in the past but nothing like this! AWESOME.:excited:

SCORE!! Way to go on the coinstar treasure:yes:

Thank you

For Canadian coins, that's really, really, old...

<°)))>{

Thanks, my oldest previous Canadian was a 1910 half dime

Nice Canadian largie! They are tough to come by, HH!

Thank you

Thank you

Wow that’s a cool one for sure!

Thank you

Great find! It's amazing the variety of foreign coins that turn up... is the coin with the angel on it a token?

Thank you. That coin has an angel on both sides. I think its called a gardian angel coin.

Congrats on the bice find! Looks to be in amazing shape as well!

There were a couple of people last year who posted old Canadian large cent coinstar finds as well. I don't think they were as old as this one though!

You may have already looked, but some varieties in that condition can fetch a pretty penny (no pun intended). Here's a guide on identifying the different varieties of this particular year coin.

http://www.canadiancoin.com/varieties/1859_varieties.asp

Thank you. I plan on sitting down and putting the magnifier on it. The bronze coin is the big money coin, but Im not sure how to tell if its bronze or not.

That's crazy!!

Thank you, it was a shock to find it!

Looks like a kiddo just cashed Daddy’s coin collection....that’s the best Coinstar find Ive seen yet. Everybody seems to find 1964 Rosie’s in there,including one I found the first time I looked in one. Nothing at all worth mentioning since that first one....

Thank you. Ive found silvers wheats and steels, but nothing like this.

Now that is a great haul.
I can see my next obsession. Driving around hitting all the coinstars in Montana !!!!

Thank you. Sometimes I plan my errands just to hit coinstar machines

Hey now.. T

Thanks

WOW. Nice Score. I found ONE 2017 dime this past year.

Thanks George, but you found more gold than I could ever expect in 10 years!

Now Aint THAT just something! :laughing: Beauty!

Thanks, it was the last thing that I expected to see.

I love these coinstar finds...ive done OK at the coinstar in the past but nothing like this! AWESOME.:excited:

Thanks, with over a foot of snow on the ground, they sate the coin fever.

I like it.

Thank you

Congrats on the score....... super cool to walk up and grab something anyone could have but it was your day!!!

Had the exact same thing happen to me ........ coinstar - hit my oldest coin - happened to be British.... quite ironic and I can honestly say I've walked in your shoes!!! It's my avatar....

GL & Never Stop hunting

Congrats on the neat Coinstar find. The 1859 one cent piece was only the second year of mintage. The large cents were minted up until 1920 and then replaced by the small cent.

Back
Top Bottom