New Minelab Equinox

Post by Mr Sabisch at FM forum

Andy Sabisch said:
The conference was a one-day event (Monday) with the CEO from Australia discussing where Minelab has been and where it is going.

Mark Lawrie, the lead on the Equinox project, was there to provide attendees with an overview of the detector and cover some of the features - unfortunately there was not enough time to cover all of what it can do or options available.

As far as release date - Minelab is shooting for the end of the month but the software has not been fully locked down yet and the units already built will need to be loaded before shipment from Malaysia so keep fingers crossed for an initial release date of the end of January. There was no mention of how many units would be going where - remember, there are orders from around the world and the US is not the biggest market so to expect all pre-orders to be filled is overly optimistic at this point.

Clearly the reason the testers have been restricted as to what they can or can't say is because things have been changing continually - features added or removed, options adjusted and more so what you get may not be what the testers used last week or last month.

Mark made himself available to answer questions after the open forum and do some demonstrations which showed some of what it was capable of - but being inside a hotel limited what you could really test; i.e., lighting, 25 other detectors around you and metal in the floor.

Weight and balance was clearly not your typical high end Minelab . . . light and easy to swing.

The small 6 inch coil will be available at or just after the release date but the larger 12x15 coil is going to be down the road a while.

Any other specific questions people have that might have been answered in Phoenix?

Andy Sabisch

I'm really interested in that 6" coil. Wish they could give us a price on it or price a package deal like the impact.

I think Minelab seriously should have considered a pro package with stock and smaller coil part of. (800 model)

It is strange, no map prices on accessories for a detector with target date release date wise in just a few days really.

did you read down into the comments too? Steve made a comment that many have been confused / worrying about, IE running the detector while simultaneously charging and how that affects usable run time of a battery pack.

Steve states you can't do both together. If you are powered off and connect a battery pack it will recharge from it. If the EQX is turned on and connected then it runs from the battery pack.

Good link TNS! thanks!

Jumping in late to this thread. I have my suspicions about the release. I feel all those pre-orders will be the guinea pigs for this detector if they're really still tweaking software and everything else.

I have been a Garrett guy for almost all my land detectors. Minelab for all my water detectors. I would really like to get the Equinox 800, but will wait until it's been out a while.

I see many firmware upgrades and potential warranty issues.

I was never impressed with the 3030 because I had so many issues with it. In fact, I sold it (thinking it was in typical working order) but upon selling it, the buyer had similar problems, he spent time with Minelab customer service and found it needed a whole new control module because it was not the final-FINAL version even though I purchased after the hype died down. Apparently, the one I received was just old stock the seller hadn't rotated through inventory.

Tough luck TheCoilist. I've had good luck with all Minelabs myself including the CTX, which I've owned 5 so far. But you've also got to remember that the CTX 3030, like the Whites V3i and XP Deus, are far more sophisticated and optioned detector than most these new 5 button detector. Like a well optioned car there are far more chances that something will go wrong. The price you pay for more features.

Why 5

Tough luck TheCoilist. I've had good luck with all Minelabs myself including the CTX, which I've owned 5 so far. But you've also got to remember that the CTX 3030, like the Whites V3i and XP Deus, are far more sophisticated and optioned detector than most these new 5 button detector. Like a well optioned car there are far more chances that something will go wrong. The price you pay for more features.
OK Why 5 CTXs, if I get a good shootin' iron it goes in the safe, if not it goes down the road, Are you saying that one detector will perform better than another one of the same model ? Your thoughts ? Mark

....., Are you saying that one detector will perform better than another one of the same model ? Your thoughts ? Mark

Yes, there are acceptable variances to all electrical components and that fact that most manufacturers source ALL components in bulk from china, you are going to get variations.

I don't know exactly how much it translates to a CTX, but I remember there used to be a guy you could send your detector to and he would hook up the oscilloscope and begin making adjustments on the board until it was brought to its optimum level. Sometimes you got a tiny improvement, sometimes you got a BIG improvement.

Yes, there are acceptable variances to all electrical components and that fact that most manufacturers source ALL components in bulk from china, you are going to get variations.

I don't know exactly how much it translates to a CTX, but I remember there used to be a guy you could send your detector to and he would hook up the oscilloscope and begin making adjustments on the board until it was brought to its optimum level. Sometimes you got a tiny improvement, sometimes you got a BIG improvement.

very interesting

Jason is correct, there is a tolerance built into all electronic components, they must fall in between the upper and lower limits, usually the + and the - of each component on a pcb average out, but on rare occasions you get one with more + than - and you have a "hotter" product and on occasion you get one with more - than + and they are not as "hot" but pcb still falls with in the accepted tolerance level.

"Electronic components such as resistors, capacitors and Integrated circuits (ICs)
assembled on a printed circuit board (PCB) form a product. In order for the product to
work effectively, all assembled components must function correctly. The components are
measured and analyzed electrically using an in-circuit tester (ICT) to ensure its values
and performance are optimal.

The active and passive components of the PCB are tested on the manufacturing floor
with a bed–of-nails fixture. The pass/fail status of the passive components typically
determine the reference range of how precise the product meets its ideal values. As
such, the two-sided tolerances (upper and lower test limits) like the “goal posts” in a
soccer game are set. The measured values need to make it between the “goal posts”
consistently during testing for the components to achieve a “pass” rating."

https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5992-2186EN.pdf?id=2842871

Back
Top Bottom