Brass letter "B". Military related?

Schweddy

Elite Member
Hi all. I'm posting this on war relic hunting, although I don't know if its military related. I apologize if it's just junk.
I've recently been going through my "interesting but unknown" finds because my area's buried in snow. I just had to do something MD related, because I'm going crazy.
Anyhow, I found this about two years ago. I'm pretty sure it was at an old house/yard. I remember that when I found it, I thought it was just junk. Maybe something off of a house or mailbox. ???
Well, looking at it closer, I realize that it's attached to a small piece of leather with a wire. *See backside pic on second post. Then I remembered a thread or two on the forum. Seems I saw some similar brass letters that were military(civil war) related???
Then I did a google search and saw brass company letters attached to the top of union caps. What the !!!!!
Could this possibly be a CW relic?!
Thanks for any input and PLEASE let this be what I hope it is!:please:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 241
It looks too big for the civil war hat letters. They were about one inch tall, or the height of the quarter. And they were not generally attached with holes like yours.

It looks too big for the civil war hat letters. They were about one inch tall, or the height of the quarter. And they were not generally attached with holes like yours.

Thanks. Yeah, I figured it might be too big. Couldn't find any other uses for these letters in military history. Oh well, still curious about the attached leather. My gues is someone had it attached to a leather pouch or horse bridle. Thanks again.

CW period, but not military per se

Those letters are actually pretty common, I've found several. Date from about 1850's to 1890's, similar stuff still being made in small numbers. Usually they are civilian usage, although that would not rule out being used by a military unit. But not issued military.

Back
Top Bottom