Best find in Change?

PA_Rob

Curious what everyone's best find has been from their pocket change, or change received at a store? I've hear of people finding silvers, war nickels, tons of wheats, ect. My best find is honestly only a 1939 nickel, but then again I'm only 21 and I'm sure that most of you have received change from a store many more times that I have in my life.

My sister works at a restaurant, and believe it or not, cracked open a customer rolled dime roll one time and found 17 MERCS! I know that sounds fictitious, but I assure you it's true. Too bad it wasn't me :(.

Anyway, Post your best pocket change finds here!

When I was a kid, my grandmother had a change dish on her coffee table, I remember being about 6 yrs old and asking her if I could have this coin that was in it, I remember looking at it with very young eyes and marveling at how much bigger that coin was than all the others and how shiney it was. She tol me I could have it as long as I didnt spend it, and I kept it.
Im 42 now, and still have that 1881 Morgan $1

yes it counts! I found it in some change!

I also got a 45S war nickle in some change recently.. kinda cool!

1964 Quarter from Target, and a war nickel from KFC both in the last couple of months.

Since CRH'ing doesn't count: some non-key Wheaties, a Merc (a *long* time ago), a War nickel, and a couple of 50% silver Canadian dimes.

14k pendant:lol: Was in the junk change box at my bank where people throw bent coins and coins stuck together with soda:lol:

Attachments

• SAM_0449.jpg
    SAM_0449.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 390
3 buffs, 6 rosies, 6 war nickles, 6 proofs, 200+ wheats

1 year of working at dairy queen:laughing:

back in the fifties

when I was a tyke, I would stay overnight with my grandparents. My grandfather was a bus driver and before that a trolly driver. He had one job his entire life. He started at age 16 and stayed working for the Union st Railway co. in New Bedford Mass until he was 65.

He had one of those change makers on his belt that thumbed out change for the riders. I remember going through the change with him those nights and him explaining about the coins he saved and why. Beyond the mercs and common buffalo nickles there were plenty of barbers and v nickles.

He had saved silver dollars from the job after production was stopped. A couple cigar boxes full. He smoked parodi cigars and bought them by the box. (The kitchen walls were yellow) people paid fares with them right into post war, just to get rid of them. Lots of immigrants there that came to fish and work the factories. They all rode the rails and later the bus. Money was just money to them and they passed a lot of silver dollars. As an aside, my great aunt worked in the woolen mill there and she said they were paid on friday with a 10 dollar gold coin. This was in the teens or 20s.

To make a long story short, all the keepers he gave me went to either the Wrigley or the Mars company.

He passed in 1973 and I have no idea where his collection of dollars went.
Each box must have weighed 5 lbs. or more. Somebody in the family ended up with them. Not my father, he was the oldest after the war.

Because of my advanced age a lot of silver has gone through my hands. Trying to pinpoint a specific coin for the benefit of this thread would be difficult. I would guesstimate a few late 1800s coins, dimes and quarters slipped through my fingers. Who Knew???

Ever want to go back and do it over again?

No good coins, but I did snag a $1 Silver Certificate a few weeks ago. Many years ago I got a $5 certificate in change.

My best was I got 52 cents in change from a change machine at the check out at a grocery store. Both pennies were wheats. What are the odds of that? :shock:

Best or most memorable?? Both me thinketh!

For the young Kinglet, when He was around 8 or 9, He was at a Kroger store in Hot Springs Arkansas (his hometown) and in change from the register was given a 1916 S Mercury dime in astonishing condition...AU at least!

Unfortunately that was over 55 years ago and His Majesty can not for the life of Himself recall what happened to that coin...but the discovery of it in grocery change made KT into a person of lifelong interest in collecting coins.

Back
Top Bottom