Wonder whats the hold-up on manufacturing a standalone pinpointer with iron disc?

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
Seems like something like this would be offered from one of the bigger companies by now. With the tiny electronic components available nowadays, I wouldn't think size is the limiting factor. :?: I'd be first in line to buy something like a Propointer with built in iron disc. Would be really useful for those of us who hunt extremely trashy areas. I know I waste a lot of time chasing the wrong signals after the hole is dug. The Sunray probes were great for that sort of thing, but not available for all detectors and they're tethered to the machine. A quality stand alone unit with basic iron discrimination would be awesome!

Seems like something like this would be offered from one of the bigger companies by now. With the tiny electronic components available nowadays, I wouldn't think size is the limiting factor. :?: I'd be first in line to buy something like a Propointer with built in iron disc. Would be really useful for those of us who hunt extremely trashy areas. I know I waste a lot of time chasing the wrong signals after the hole is dug. The Sunray probes were great for that sort of thing, but not available for all detectors and they're tethered to the machine. A quality stand alone unit with basic iron discrimination would be awesome!

Not sure how well it would discriminate without masking the real target.

Obviously it could be done, they must think the cost of production would be too high for what the consumer would pay.

I am sure this has already been tried, what were the results?

Fast Retune for Mineralized Ground
To tune out the detection of saltwater, wet sand or highly mineralized ground, hold the tip of the Pro-Pointer AT to the water, sand or soil and quick-press the button () for an instant Retune.
If necessary, repeat this Fast Retune to further eliminate any environmental response. Note: An alternate means of eliminating the ground response is to reduce Sensitivity.

Detune on your digger, then PP.

:?::?::?:

I am sure this has already been tried, what were the results?

Fast Retune for Mineralized Ground
To tune out the detection of saltwater, wet sand or highly mineralized ground, hold the tip of the Pro-Pointer AT to the water, sand or soil and quick-press the button () for an instant Retune.
If necessary, repeat this Fast Retune to further eliminate any environmental response. Note: An alternate means of eliminating the ground response is to reduce Sensitivity.

Detune on your digger, then PP.

:?::?::?:

That really only manually "ground balances" the pinpointer, so to speak if there is such a thing. Cuts down on falsing, but still picks up iron targets.

Basically what I do once in the hole, if I'm using discrimination on my detector to block out the iron is:

Get whatever the pinpointer is beeping at and pass it by the coil on the detector to see if that was what the detector was targeting by the VDI. Research the hole again with the pinpointer to see if anything else triggers. If not and I still haven't got the original target VDI read, then you can either try digging a little further or resweep with the detector again. It is a pain in the ass when iron is next or above the target and the pinpointer is going whack.

That's basically what I do now. Problem is, the places I hunt regularly are so trashy that its pretty common to have 4 or 5 iron targets in the same hole as the non-ferrous target. So when I open the hole and stick the pinpointer in, I often pinpoint the wrong target a couple of times before hitting the right one.. What really makes this a pain in the butt is the fact that the dirt is usually hard packed clay & rock which is extremely difficult to dig. Sure do miss my Sunray probe... Never had these problems with it.

That's basically what I do now. Problem is, the places I hunt regularly are so trashy that its pretty common to have 4 or 5 iron targets in the same hole as the non-ferrous target. So when I open the hole and stick the pinpointer in, I often pinpoint the wrong target a couple of times before hitting the right one.. What really makes this a pain in the butt is the fact that the dirt is usually hard packed clay & rock which is extremely difficult to dig. Sure do miss my Sunray probe... Never had these problems with it.

Dirt is packed hard too. Sometimes even tough to get a hit in the plug itself once on top.

Why not get an in-line probe? It uses your detector's discrimination circuit as well as beeps through your headphone.

So like a compadre in pin pointer size?

If one is made or has been made I'd like to still hear it all. I get satisfaction of cleansing my holes of all metal. But in some sites or after many holes full of nails and scrap...I can see your point.

are their technological challenges to no motion disc? I know most minelab machines still give ID in no motion pinpoint but perhaps discrimination would require more.

Seems to me you wouldn't want to chance any possible masking the discrimination may cause. Use a standard pinpointer to remove any and all metallic objects from the hole and you should get your target , and maybe more good targets you didn't know about , but add discrimination and your good target may just go quiet depending on how much iron is nearby. There is a valid reason most pinpointers don't discriminate.

Or did I miss something or misunderstand the question ?

Seems to me you wouldn't want to chance any possible masking the discrimination may cause. Use a standard pinpointer to remove any and all metallic objects from the hole and you should get your target , and maybe more good targets you didn't know about , but add discrimination and your good target may just go quiet depending on how much iron is nearby. There is a valid reason most pinpointers don't discriminate.

Or did I miss something or misunderstand the question ?

I'd know there's something non-ferrous in the hole due to my main detector hitting it with iron discriminated out, so no worries about it being masked. I wouldn't give up until I found a non-ferrous target.

I used a Sunray for years and never had any trouble with masking inside the hole. Even if it's masked, it'll clear up once you continue moving dirt around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom