Long Island NY (Nassau & Suffolk Counties)

Captain Detecto

Hey Group:

Santa was kind to me and sent me a White's Coin-master Pro for Christmas. Yippee!!!! Big blizzard though now in NYC. Boo Hoo!!!!

To prepare for the upcoming season I'm aware of the permit requirements for NYC Parks and the Long Island New York State Parks (beach areas) and will file for both. What about parks for Nassau and Suffolk counties???? Can anyone help out before I make a lot of calls.

Captain Detecto:?:

Long island county parks

Hello from seaford.
My info tells me that no permits are required for nassau county parks. I swing sometimes at eisenhauer park and have had park police and maintenence trucks pass by me and just smile. That tellls me its ok. Enjoy

Most parks in Nassau you can hunt permit free. Spoke with the Town of Hempstead as was told no permits are needed to hunt their parks and beaches, but just need to follow hours of operation. Long beach only requires a beach pass when its beach season. Local towns I would check with first, especially affluent neighborhoods as they seem to have issues even when on public land. The town of Garden City would not let me hunt a feild that was a Civil War camp to find relics even though it is open taxpayer land.

Hey Captain Detecto, got an update for this thread? I could use all the same information!! thanks a bunch!

I need to get a green key card for suffolk county.
To md in parks does one permit work for all parks
Wherr do i get the permit town hall i live in town of islip

Green Card AND Permit Needed

To hunt County parks in Suffolk you need a Green Card ($25) And a Permit (about $30)

Metal detectors are authorized for use with valid Permit on the seaward side of the primary dunes and vegetated areas of the following county parks only:

Montauk County Park - Montauk
Cedar Point County Park- East Hampton
Meschutt Beach County Park- Hampton Bays
Shinnecock East County Park- Southampton
Charles F. Altenkirch County Park - Southampton
Cupsogue Beach County Park- Westhampton
Smith Point County Park- Shirley

No disturbance of any upland areas, historic sites or environmental sensitive areas or bird nesting sites allowed.

No flora is to be disrupted or damaged in any way.

All areas that are disturbed as a result of metal detector use should be fully restored so as not to cause a hazard.

Some areas of the parks listed may be closed at various times due to changes in beach conditions, maintenance or protection of natural resources.

I was just told to leave a Hempstead park he said no hunting in Hempstead except the beach.

digmore, while it's a good idea to give "lip service" in those cases, don't be quick to assume that's therefore "law" . Or park rule or whatever. It could simply be a case of someone having a bad hair day. Or a cop that was responding to a miss-lookie-lou busy-body. Ie.: someone thinks you might be about to leave a hole.

Thus sometimes you just be polite (let them no you were leaving no marks), and .... well .... let it cool off, and just come back later.

I have heard "scram" at lot of parks in my 40+ yrs. And sure, we "give it a rest" for 6 months or whatever at that one particular spot. But years later, they get routinely detected. And no one ever heard so much as "boo" from anyone ever again. Thus I do not construe isolated scrams as being "law". They could just be isolated flukes.

I looked in your city's codes, and did various key word searches ("metal" and "detect") etc.... I see nothing there that says "no metal detecting".

https://toh.li/

https://toh.li/rules-and-regulations

If you're still worried (that perhaps this website doesn't contain all their muni. codes), you can go to city hall and ask: "where can I find a list of all the regulations, laws, etc... It will be in binder form SOMEWHERE for public viewing. Look it up yourself (don't go asking bored pencil pushers: "can I metal detect". If you see nothing that says "no metal detecting", then odds are, you just got someone in a bad mood.

This is why it's gotten to where I do most of my park hunting (nice manicured turf) at night these days. So peaceful. So serene :laughing:

For those who have been digging in Nassau county beaches. I was wondering if there are a lot of other people partaking in the hobby. It is a highly populated area and I haven't ventured to the beaches yet.

Back
Top Bottom