Question: Hunting lake beaches, how does a person get started?

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
Hey all you beach hunters, I'm interested in hunting the lakes around here in the swimming areas but have no idea whatsoever how to get started. It didn't seem like a possibility before we got the CTX but now it seems like something that might be fun to try.

I'm not talking about diving, just wading and hunting, what kind of gear does a person need, and how do you go about retrieving targets in the water?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

I just wade in with swimwear on and bend down to retrieve my target as always. Since the AT Pro is submersible I just set it down or let it float beside me. Since it's pretty much impossible to see underwater (with the sediment being stirred up) I just use my ProPointer AT to feel for the object with my hands. Or I scoop sand into my floating sieve and use that to find the object.

I can usually manage about waist deep that way without problems. If need be I will hold my breath and actually stick my head underwater while I feel for the object.

Sorry I don't have more to say. I am sure some people have really complicated setups. I just wade in and go. :lol:

Attached is a picture of my sieve, it's homemade.

Attachments

• DSCN3796.jpg
    DSCN3796.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 451
The wife and I are in the same boat.. We just purchased an AT Pro and want to get in the water when the water gets a bit warmer. I have a beach scoop that is brass or something like that and I lengthened it with some copper pipe, I havent tried it yet.

Gabby, good idea on the floating sieve

You need a good scoop and along handle I find most my best finds in about chest deep water and lots of practice when you find a target put your foot just behind it set the scoop just in front a push with the same foot you used to mark the target wiggle the handle side to side while pushing it takes practice start with the smallest coil you have you will after time you will find it easier I usually get mine on the first try sometimes 2 or 3 scoops to get deep enough good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hey all you beach hunters, I'm interested in hunting the lakes around here in the swimming areas but have no idea whatsoever how to get started. It didn't seem like a possibility before we got the CTX but now it seems like something that might be fun to try.

I'm not talking about diving, just wading and hunting, what kind of gear does a person need, and how do you go about retrieving targets in the water?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!
I got my ctx for this reason. Water hunting is a different beast with its own set of challenges but lots of fun. Before you do anything else check the o rings and make sure you take off the headphone adapter and use the screw for the headphone connection (if not using waterproof headphone)

What you will need
Waterproof headphones are almost a must - the 2 I know of are the koss and grey ghost. I use the grey ghost myself and love them

Second a scoop - if your water hunting a lot then you want a stainless steel scoop. Expect to spend around 200$ for a quality one. If your occasionally hunting you can opt for an aluminum one but the SS one is well worth the cost.

Your pattern will be opened up more for gold and trash set to low. Basically anything not iron and not huge is a good idea to dig.

Lastly - the coil. Stock coil has a lot of drag in the water and I opt for the smaller one. Great depth and you have a better idea of where your target may be.

One thing I am still working on is how to secure the detector to myself while using a scoop. I don't want to have it float away or loose it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cool! At the bare minimum, you really need a scoop of some sort...nothing fancy right off the bat, but if you are serious, you really do need a scoop to hunt either dry sand or wading targets...Its a cool cross over skill to add to your overall Detecting knowledge/experience arsenal...

Hunting the beach will teach you many things that you can apply to your dirt hunting and vise-versa...

Oh you can hunt without a scoop, and either kick sand or pull targets sifting with your fingers...but really, its not optimum when Time and Gold waits for Nobody...

Thanks everyone, lots of helpful suggestions and I appreciate them!

I just wade in with swimwear on and bend down to retrieve my target as always. Since the AT Pro is submersible I just set it down or let it float beside me. Since it's pretty much impossible to see underwater (with the sediment being stirred up) I just use my ProPointer AT to feel for the object with my hands. Or I scoop sand into my floating sieve and use that to find the object.

I can usually manage about waist deep that way without problems. If need be I will hold my breath and actually stick my head underwater while I feel for the object.

Sorry I don't have more to say. I am sure some people have really complicated setups. I just wade in and go. :lol:

Thanks Gabby, sounds like you got it figured out! Like the sieve :neat:

The wife and I are in the same boat.. We just purchased an AT Pro and want to get in the water when the water gets a bit warmer. I have a beach scoop that is brass or something like that and I lengthened it with some copper pipe, I havent tried it yet.

I thought maybe there were other wanna be water hunters out here like me... :yes:

You need a good scoop and along handle I find most my best finds in about chest deep water and lots of practice when you find a target put your foot just behind it set the scoop just in front a push with the same foot you used to mark the target wiggle the handle side to side while pushing it takes practice start with the smallest coil you have you will after time you will find it easier I usually get mine on the first try sometimes 2 or 3 scoops to get deep enough good luck

I see... makes sense! I can already see that's going to take some coordination, hope I have it :lol:

I got my ctx for this reason. Water hunting is a different beast with its own set of challenges but lots of fun. Before you do anything else check the o rings and make sure you take off the headphone adapter and use the screw for the headphone connection (if not using waterproof headphone)

What you will need
Waterproof headphones are almost a must - the 2 I know of are the koss and grey ghost. I use the grey ghost myself and love them

Second a scoop - if your water hunting a lot then you want a stainless steel scoop. Expect to spend around 200$ for a quality one. If your occasionally hunting you can opt for an aluminum one but the SS one is well worth the cost.

Your pattern will be opened up more for gold and trash set to low. Basically anything not iron and not huge is a good idea to dig.

Lastly - the coil. Stock coil has a lot of drag in the water and I opt for the smaller one. Great depth and you have a better idea of where your target may be.

One thing I am still working on is how to secure the detector to myself while using a scoop. I don't want to have it float away or loose it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ah, I wondered about the headphone setup, looks like another thing on my list. Thankfully I have the little coil, so check on that. I have a sling for mine that I got for land hunting but don't really use much that might be just the thing for the water to keep it leashed...:good:

Cool! At the bare minimum, you really need a scoop of some sort...nothing fancy right off the bat, but if you are serious, you really do need a scoop to hunt either dry sand or wading targets...Its a cool cross over skill to add to your overall Detecting knowledge/experience arsenal...

Hunting the beach will teach you many things that you can apply to your dirt hunting and vise-versa...

Oh you can hunt without a scoop, and either kick sand or pull targets sifting with your fingers...but really, its not optimum when Time and Gold waits for Nobody...

Yep, I'm thinking definitely the scoop thing, not really wanting to dunk myself trying to dig out stuff, and as you say, time..... etc. :yes:

Your going to do fine just enjoy where your at the hunt and being there is the best treasure anyway

GG. invest in a good scoop girl. There's way to much broken glass in that water.

You might want to get a pair of chest waders if you going in mucky swampy places lots of creepy crawlers I use Hogman ones

I'm thinking swimming beaches on our lakes, not sure I wanna go in with spiders & moccasins & gators :lol: Yikes! Not a bad idea though when it gets cooler..

Everyone has good ideas. I been fresh water hunting for over 20 years. Learned many tricks. The one thing not mentioned is you want sone kind of shoes you do not care if they get wet and dirty. Them scoops hurt my bear feet. I have a few pair i picked up at garage sales.
I find my best targest from knee deep to my waist
Just get out and have fun. We are here to help.

KEN

Everyone has good ideas. I been fresh water hunting for over 20 years. Learned many tricks. The one thing not mentioned is you want sone kind of shoes you do not care if they get wet and dirty. Them scoops hurt my bear feet. I have a few pair i picked up at garage sales.
I find my best targest from knee deep to my waist
Just get out and have fun. We are here to help.

KEN

Ooh, good point! I've got some old sneakers with good soles that would probably work just great, ain't no way I'd go in these beer can filled lakes barefoot now that you have me thinking about it. Thanks :grin:

Thanks. I made it. It's remarkably cheap to make. A plastic pasta strainer with a pool noodle tied around it with a rope. Probably cost me about $5. It can handle a lot of sand before it starts sinking, and because it's plastic I can use the ProPointer to poke around in it as I sift the sand out. Only downside is the stupid pebbles that are too large to strain out. But with the sand gone it's pretty easy to see your target.

I am primarily a land hunter due to my geographic location (outreaches of Western Kansas) but I LOVE water hunting when I can. About 3-4 times a year I get to go to a fresh water lake and detect and I most always find some nice bling. I have a few tips that I have picked up. Others may have already commented these. I'll try to post some pics of my homemade gear tomorrow.

1. I would not enter the water without water sock or shoes. I have scooped up treble hooks, needles, shreds of aluminum and on one occasion a broadhead arrow:shock:.

2a. Start shallow so you can watch your spot as you scoop and then gradually work deeper. once you get the hang of it, the scooping gets much easier. Go slow, it's like learning to detect all over IMO.

2b. My best luck is in what I call the "Mommy Zone" which is knee deep to waist deep. Not that I haven't found good stuff other places but this is the higher percentage zone for me.

3. I made a plastic scoop like this http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/graphics/wilcox450.jpg with an identical feed scoop that I bought at Tractor Supply for about $2. I attached a metal tent pole to it with u-bolts and bent the pole a little bit to get a good angle. Works awesome for no more than I use it but if I did much more water hunting I would definitely buy a quality stainless scoop.

4. My finds I put into a contraption that I made from half of a minnow trap (like this https://www.amazon.com/Gees-Gee-Feets-G-40-Minnow-Trap/dp/B0033OI7V4) with a pool noodle zip tied around the top. I have a 10" piece of nylon cord tied to it and a nylon belt and I just pull it along behind me. This works very well for where I am but if you are detecting places where there are a lot of waves you will have to find another place to put finds or they will get dumped out. I use this because that's what I had laying around.

5. It is much easier to scoop if you can let go of the detector. I let my AT Pro go and if floats beside me, tethered to me with the headphone cable, not sure about the CTX.

6. Speaking of headphones, I had my heart set on a pair of waterproof headphones but I'm only comfortable in water up to my shoulders so I never ended up buying a pair. The main reason I never did is that i figured if I accidentally dunk the ones I have, I can get a new pair of garrets for about $25 instead of $150 for GG Amphibians.

7. Like I said, I"m good up to about my shoulders. After that my positive buoyancy makes scooping with any control really difficult.

8. Be ready for an audience. I usually hear people talking about me from the beach and they assume I can't hear them. Kids get really curious. Be ready to not show emotion when you pull a nice shiny ring. Just put it in your finds holder and look at it later.

9. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Edit: I forgot to mention. When I pinpoint but can't see my coil, I get the target to the toe of my coil and then put my toe against the heel of the coil. Then I move my detector and put the scoop right on top of my foot and then pull my foot out and use my foot to push the scoop into the sand/mud/gravel. Also, keep a wide stand if you are more than waist deep, it will help you keep your balance.

Another tip that I use, when I get in above my waist I always get to the deep side of the target and push the scoop toward shallow water. That way I know that I won't push it into water that is too deep for me.

Last edited:
SWKDigger, thanks for those tips! I would not have thought of a lot of that. Still waiting on my waterproof headphones and some swim type clothes to arrive before giving it a shot, but am kinda getting anxious to give this a go!

SWKDigger, thanks for those tips! I would not have thought of a lot of that. Still waiting on my waterproof headphones and some swim type clothes to arrive before giving it a shot, but am kinda getting anxious to give this a go!

Here is my homemade finds holder and scoop.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom