Large Cent "Disfigured"? Why?

DoctorWhy

Found this nearby the same cellar hole where I found the "Barber Spill" (http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248570) earlier this week.

This is a copper disc, 0.075" thick, 1.15" diameter, and "rings" like a coin when dropped on a hard surface. There are no recognizable markings that would identify it as a coin. One side (left image) is almost smooth with the hint of some worn, but unidentifiable,features when viewed in oblique light. The other side (right image) looks like it has been hammered with a chisel and in many instances, gouged out, rather than chiseled in. The three holes are pierced and more-or-less square-shaped -- as if pierced with an old square nail. The piercings appear to have been made from the same side as the chisel marks.

Any ideas????

Attachments

• CarvedUpCoin_sm.jpg
    CarvedUpCoin_sm.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 361
I think the largies were used for other purposes after the small cents came out. I found 1 with the edges clipped and what was left of a screw or nail still stuck in the center. It may have been used as a washer. I found another that is similar to yours that looks like it was struck with a checkered hammer on one side. I always wonder why as well?

When I was a kid, back when pennies were mostly copper, I used to sit in the driveway of our house and bang them with a hammer to see how thin I could get them.
When I was in my teens, we went to a hardware store to get some washers and they were seven cents a piece, we seriously considered just drilling holes in nickles.
Sometimes, when you need a small piece of metal for something, you don't have to look any further than your change.

thing are repurposed all the time. Just the other day i used a quarter to make a washer that I didn't have on hand. When its a 15 to 20 minute drive to the hardware store you learn to figure out how to make it work.

With the hammering marks, I would usually guess boredom... But the three holes indicate to me that somebody was fashioning a replacement part for something... To what, hard to say. But if you can repair a tool or piece of machinery for 1 cent, its a pretty good deal! I doubt ordering replacement parts was too easy in the early to mid 1800's, especially in downeast Maine!

I have seen large cents altered in different ways. Some were used with spurs and others notched for rollers crimping pies. I had one that some one had changed he 'E' in cent so that it formed another word. Needless to say i won't repeat it.

Maybe something like...

A weighted punch/cutter/crimper or similar contraption.. When dropped, would tear up the work table, a soft copper disc serves the purpose perfect?

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom