Hail Mary Trolling With Honey Badger...

rfaatalrashid

Took my Tejon "Honey Badger" out today. She was looking good wearing her 10x5 widescan. Went to an older elementary school playground / community soccer field that has produced the usual clad before with my old Cibola and 5.75 concentric.

Was digging everything above foil, as it's pretty clean. Still learning all the bazillion tonal nuances of the Tejon, but loving it all the same.! It's like the Cibola, but on designer steroids. GB and power balancing are a snap, as well. Also starting to see the benefit of the VCO tone too. Not only increases in volume proportionate to depth or size, but tonal pitch as well. Also the widescan is like a snowplow compared to the concentric, which is like a snow shovel lol. Found the usual clad, aluminum pieces, bullet casings, etc. After a couple hours had to pack up to go. Before walking back, I set it to cherry pick everything above tabs.! A hail Mary endeavor with a concentric, but more coverage with the widescan. Kinda scanned with it sideways, off to the side, on the sides of the path on the way to the car. Decided to only probe the signals that screamed in VCO like they were clean surface targets. It was kinda like fishing, but trolling a cherry picker behind you lol.! This technique yielded more keeper finds in 20 minutes than I got the whole 2 hours, including a silver earring. Thinking bout taking her back out tmrw to scan all the "edges" - trails, playground, parking, etc. Might even drop her down to nickels, as it's pretty clean of pull tabs. Anyway, point is - my new gig is widescan trolling with a Tejon. Put it in vco, with threshold and sensitivity tweaked. Locate near surface targets that scream dig, and just probe for em. Yields good quick recoveries, and covers ground like a snowplow lol. My new favorite technique.
fab2db6b417a9706b78f23b3cca334ca.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've found 2 silver rings and a pile of clad doing that.
I hunt an old homesite deep in a massive greenway park.
On the way in and out there are paved trails frequented
by joggers walkers and cyclists. Just hang the coil over the
edge and walk away. Stumbled onto the idea one day walking back
And had forgotten to turn my detector off. It went beep and I
Saw a quarter laying off to the edge of the asphalt.
Never thought to call it trolling though. That's a
New addition to dirt fishin.

Noah

Forgive my ignorance but what is "VCO"? I've been meaning to break out my Tejon, I really need to get her outta the closet and into the field!

I use that in lake water here. Lock it to my side and walk small grid lines. Easier for me than swinging that big ole coil under water.

As for sidewalk lines, I usually do that too. Found a really nice silver ring literally right up against the edge of the sidewalk.

If you think about high probability drop areas, see great thread below by Skippy, sidewalks and walk trails have to be target rich especially in areas where people are carrying a bunch of stuff, think entrance to beach/pool etc.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=245454

BCD

Forgive my ignorance but what is "VCO"? I've been meaning to break out my Tejon, I really need to get her outta the closet and into the field!
Not only increases in volume proportionate to depth and/or size, but tonal pitch as well.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Variably Controlled Oscillator...target is louder the closer it is.

Not only increases in volume proportionate to depth and/or size, but tonal pitch as well.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Ahhhh ok, gotcha. Dug out the Tejon and right there it was "VCO" right on the face plate. :lol: Thank you!

Hey TxDigger, I remember you. This is like your first post in 10 years.

Wow, you have a great memory sir! Was away for awhile but have been reading and finally tried to sign back in, after figuring out my username and password I was shocked to see it'd been so long! Glad to be back too!

Yeah so I tried this same technique this weekend with the same 10x5 widescan, but on my cibola. I was actually really missing the vco pitch increase, and the trigger-pull pulltab scream that are on my tejon. Senor Cibola, you're fun and easy and all, but you, Sir, are no Tejon...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom