Boring find

Astronomersmith

This is a very mundane, boring "found" story, and a short one too, but I thought it was kind of neat just because I got to use my metal detecting hobby for something very domestic and useful.

As I was watering my flower/shrub bed, a screw/bolt fell out of my outside water faucet knob and both of them hit the ground in my flower bed - which has a lot of pine straw as ground cover. After the obligatory cursing (nothing too bad), I fumbled around in the near dark, groping and feeling for it. I found the round handle pretty easy, but no luck on the screw. I realized, "I'll never find that little screw". It was only 1/2" long at most.

Then, I remembered....Hey! I've got a pinpointer! I went to the garage, got a flashlight and my "el cheapo" Automax pinpointer, and within 30 seconds or less, I got that annoying, yet sweet "BZZZZZ" sound that I was hoping to hear! Yep, found that little screw among all that pine straw. :D

A boring, mundane story for sure, but it kind of made my night! I got my shrubs watered, fixed my faucet (tightened it down good), and did a little bit of metal detecting! A good end to the day!

Scott

Then, I remembered....Hey! I've got a pinpointer! I went to the garage, got a flashlight and my "el cheapo" Automax pinpointer, and within 30 seconds or less, I got that annoying, yet sweet "BZZZZZ" sound that I was hoping to hear! Yep, found that little screw among all that pine straw. :D

Aren't you glad you didn't have to spend $120 to do what the "el cheapo" could?:D

Absolutely! I've read people complaining about a pinpointer not having enough "range" and it has to be practically "touching" the target. Well, I guess I'm weird, but I thought that is what the meaning of pinpointing was? Like sticking a pin on the target?

What's funny is when the thing is buzzing at a tiny clump of dirt in my hand and I still can't see what it is sensing! I've found some of the tiniest little-bittyest pieces of metal with that big old clunky pinpointer - but, it did point it out to me, so it was doing what I got it for.

Scott

even the mundane is fun. Look at it like this: you lost the screw so you have to go to home depot to get a new one. (Cost of gas and your time) and the wife wants to come along..."Oh look at all of the new flowers" More $$ then you have to buy some dirt for the new flowers and spend time digging holes to plant the flowers.....So that mundane pin pointer just saved you big time!!!:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom