Tell me this isn't real?

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
It's copper or brass, and is an old social security card? I'm guessing from a kids toy detective set or something?!?! Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4013.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 470
People used to buy those to carry instead of the cards and put the originals away to keep them nice. I would guess probably from the 60s, but not 100% on that.

Yep! They sure did have these once. Just like people laminate cards for extra protection nowdays.

Yep. The government only issued the regular flimsy paper cards, the metal ones were bought after the fact and engraved. Some were even special offers from businesses as a kind of bonus, like a toaster from a bank.

Here's a link to kind of a short partial history but there's plenty more out there if one wants to look for it... https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-history-of-a-brass-social-security-card

Probably was back in the 60s I had one made. If I remember right it was a table set up outside a grocery store that this guy was making them, I don't remember how much.....still got it.
DL

Probably was back in the 60s I had one made. If I remember right it was a table set up outside a grocery store that this guy was making them, I don't remember how much.....still got it.
DL

Can you imagine someone trying to do that for a living these days? I can't imagine just forking over my Social to a stranger considering how tied in it's become with everything we do!

Wait what now...? I aint never seen such a thing! What a find!... SS numbers are a relatively new kind of concept!...Soon to be an implanted chip of 'curse...so this low issue precursor find is very cool! Mashed out by an indentured servant prisoner at Folsom no doubt even!

Poor bastard somehow lost his brass tag, and probably died in obscurity with no comfort of Govt Assistance..much like a farm dog, as most of us will experience.....Back then, this dog had a brass tag though! Human or not, this Dog at least got some classy accessories!

What do we get? Microchips and possibly a refrigerator box or a cast off blue tarp? Hell..Of course I'll take it! ...what with the weather coming in and all.....Those suckers sure know how to market though! Frigging brass plate all official looking? Hell yeah! Take it out of my pay for 40yrs! I'm a buyer!!:laughing:

Take it down to the local SS office and see if you can cash it in CD?!...what a friggin scam ...

This find is the un-refuteable historical proof Bill Engvall alluded to...when he says.."Are you stoopid or something? >Heres your sign" This right here is IT!....:laughing:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom