How do you run your Etrac or any other detector

daddyflea

My question is do you set up Sensitivity high where you get multiple false blips and try to figure out the good from the bad or

do you set up real stable where almost any signal is a good target.

I lean more to the stable side but worry about missing deep targets.

My question is do you set up Sensitivity high where you get multiple false blips and try to figure out the good from the bad or

do you set up real stable where almost any signal is a good target.

I lean more to the stable side but worry about missing deep targets.
I set it to a level with amount of falsings I can handle at comfortable level. It depends on how fast I move and consequently how ideal my swing is.

If you go for deep stuff, small amount of false signals is a must

I run my 3030 in auto +3, it may not be as sensitive, once you turn that sensitivity up so high, you deal with many more falses and spend MORE time trying to analyze targets pre dig trying to figure out if it's an actual target or a false....

I run a stable machine, unless I am in a clean farm field which is almost never, but if I am i run manual "sometimes" HOWEVER< I have NEVER noticed any depth gain with manual, or with deep ON

Your mileage may vary...

Last edited:
I work with the chatter, run my detectors as hot and with as little discrimination as possible...with the Explorer II/11" coil I set the sensitivity between 27-30 in manual, with deep on, fast off and the Iron Mask at -10. I'm looking for deep targets when I turf hunt, not shallow clad:lol: I do back the sens down a bit when searching for silver in a real trashy park though...

A quiet running etrac,,,is not punching down.

Manual sens,,,pumped up,,,work through the falses,,etc
In time,,the better sounds(of good targets) ,,will stand out.

Can be hard to concentrate for longer periods,,,but this is what it takes.

Auto sens,,,,depth loss,,,anyone tries to say no,,,I've go beach front property in Az to sell them.

Even is denser iron,,,some deep silver/copper can be had with higher manual sens,,,,but the key is,,,you don't swing,,,,you more or less creep around,,,hovering coil,,,small movements,,,lots of resweeps of high tone glints.
Slow process,,,but will work.

Need patience ,,,and strength to hold the detector up for longer periods.

Daddy flea,

More details with etrac.

Yes you will get falses,,,high tone glint with higher manual sens,,,iron usually causes.

So,,what to do??

The great thing is,,,when the etrac coil is moved over iron,,,tone responding(sound) won't usually be in unison from one pass to the other of coil.

So with multiple passes of same area,,you hear high tone glint coming in same post or extremely near,,,,needs investigating.

You can pivot,,,if tone get better,,,good sign,,,,if it get worse,,,continue to pivot around,,,,,but jut because signal is lost,,,,doesn't mean a good say deep copper or silver is not there.

So go back to where signal was at least heard,,and work from there.

While sweeping,,,open screen watch cursor,,,,a good guide,,,you see it hang and stay at the bottom,,below 29 ferrous area,,,,good chance iron.

You see cursor stay down on sweep,,but see cursor make a momentary jump up on screen ---- good sign of possible nonferrous.

Signal should be provided on pretty much a consistent basis,,,,what this means,,let say 5 passes of coil with what seems like ideal coil position and movement speed,,,,and you only get signal 1 or 2 times,,,not good,,,,but if you get signal 3-5 times,,,,much better odds of nonferrous.

You will have to set your own standards though,,,,they vary for folks.

Sent your sensitivity to where it just becomes unstable, and back it up a couple of notches. If it is stable, increase by one. If it is still stable, leave it there.

Wondering just how much depth this actually gains over a real quiet detector that just does not miss any good signals?

I am going to guess less than 1/2 inch. I get coins all the time at 8" but can not seem to break that. One reason is trashy places.

I am an EX-V3i user that could not seem to ever get my machine dialed in. 10 feet and conditions changed.

From reading your posts I think I will back off my gain from 30 to 28 and consider running Deep On in clean spots. My machine can not turn down a big headed roofing nail or a crushed Screw Cap. I get crushed screw caps at 10" with my small Coiltek 10X5.

I hunted some good places this week end and got nothing old at all. Got me spooked.

And there ya have it...:yes:

I've run ML's for years. I rarely if ever use AUTO sens because it absolutely kills my depth capability. I normally run 28 manual.

I've run ML's for years. I rarely if ever use AUTO sens because it absolutely kills my depth capability.

Weird, I've never noticed any depth gain with manual, in any environment in the couple years I've used an etrac and 3030... seems auto reaches down as far with a more stable machine, but I have ran manual in fields before, but like I said all the target depths were about the same, nothing about manual had me mind blown in my experiences. :grin:

I agree that jacking up Sensitivity using Manual could increase depth, but I would suspect that it would greatly increase your odds of missing a good signal due to the increase in False signals.

Weird, I've never noticed any depth gain with manual, in any environment in the couple years I've used an etrac and 3030... seems auto reaches down as far with a more stable machine, but I have ran manual in fields before, but like I said all the target depths were about the same, nothing about manual had me mind blown in my experiences. :grin:

I agree that jacking up Sensitivity using Manual could increase depth, but I would suspect that it would greatly increase your odds of missing a good signal due to the increase in False signals.
Not in my case. I'm after signals at 6" of depth or greater. Auto sens kills it for me.

Why is that I routinely get coins 6-8" with my little Coiltek 10X5. I just got the Sun Ray X-8 so I am unsure of the depth but it seems like it will equal the Coiltek. The stock Coil just does not get the separation I am after.

Not in my case. I'm after signals at 6" of depth or greater. Auto sens kills it for me.

Why is that I routinely get coins 6-8" with my little Coiltek 10X5. I just got the Sun Ray X-8 so I am unsure of the depth but it seems like it will equal the Coiltek. The stock Coil just does not get the separation I am after.
It's because your Coiltek 10X5 is an improvement over the factory coil. I agree about the stock coil.

Auto sens like running at 27 in auto plus 3,,,8" deep is about max in my area,,,but signal could be weaker,,,TID out a whack.

26-28 manual is where I am mostly.

Now,,,for a virgin site for scouting purposes,,sure auto sens will work here,,,but to get to the deeper,,fringe depth detectable,,higher manual sens works.

Also,,on lower conductors,,,,higher manual sens really helps vs auto,,,especially on smaller lower donductive nonferrous.

Always remember there are tradeoffs,,,,,,but you got to go for the gusto when trying to get deep.

I run my CTX as high as I can stand it. You are missing the deep targets if you don't. I guess the good is you won't even know you are missing them. I routinely flip over to auto+3 on targets I know are deep to see how the machine responds. Perfect example, last week I dug a Large cent at a measured 13" with my CTX. When I flipped to auto is would not even break threshold. I was getting a faint high tone and super choppy numbers, The high tone was consistent but oh so faint. I almost did not dig it but sure am glad I did :)

Do I spend time investigating falses? Yep, but there is a trade off with just about everything, It just so happens I want the older deeper coins and that is my trade off..

My settings

I run my Etrac on max sensitivity at all times.... I deal with any false signals.

Back
Top Bottom