Any suggestions on cleaning this?

LordOfTheZincs

Elite Member
I'm pretty sure it's brass, rings up @44 out of the ground and is about the size of a quarter.

106_1159.jpg

I want to be gentle with it but I gotta get some of that junk off of there so it can be seen better. The last brass (I think) piece I cleaned like this I used CLR and it turned out great but a little scared to use that now after reading the back of the bottle. Any gentle home remedies I might want to try? I got a FREE :p 25lb box of fine crushed walnut shells at a garage sale but have never used any of that in a tumbler before. Thanks in advance

Looks pretty brittle, with cracks already starting..

I think it looks pretty good now..

If I had to clean it, I would hold it flat on a board for support, and lighty rub it with really fine steel wool..

<°)))>{

Here are some steps for cleaning brass starting with the least powerful and proceeding on up. Good luck and HH!

http://jewelrymakingjournal.com/how-to-clean-brass/

A quote from your link...

'Whenever you clean, wipe, or polish brass, be sure to work in the direction of the metal’s natural grain as much as possible – instead of rubbing in circles."

Now I like to think my metallurgy classes put me ahead of most folks, but I don't have a clue about "natural grain" in brass... Sounds like horse hockey to me...

<°)))>{

'Whenever you clean, wipe, or polish brass, be sure to work in the direction of the metal’s natural grain as much as possible – instead of rubbing in circles."

Now I like to think my metallurgy classes put me ahead of most folks, but I don't have a clue about "natural grain" in brass... Sounds like horse hockey to me...

<°)))>{

:lol: I asked myself that same question. Forgot about olive oil though, might start there. Thanks guys!

Nice find! It takes decades for copper and brass to acquire that patina , but only takes a matter of minutes to wash it down the drain...be careful with anything that may have value, HH!

<°)))>{

HAHA! I'm with ya on this. I admittedly didn't read all the steps, and can't recall noticing much grain in my many brass possessions...:laughing: Besides, Mr. Miyagi says to wipe on and wipe off in a circular motion. I'm sure as hell not arguing with Mr. Miyagi...

It looks much better I think. :grin: I did another nights soak in soap and water then used a fine toothbrush. Then I soaked it in olive oil today followed by a little toothpick action followed by a cotton swab to pick the dirt up.
106_1176.jpg

Looks like I have an oil smudge on the left my camera lens though....:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom