Central New Jersey

LEW

Hi, I'm new to metal detecting and I'm looking for places in Edison, Metuchen, Piscataway, South Plainfield, Clark, Westfield, Perth Amboy and Woodbridge where I can go metal detecting. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
JP

Welcome from Morris County, NJ. I'm not familiar with your area but there are some easy spots to detect there I'm sure. I'd look for older, public schools, public playgrounds, public parks that are not immaculately maintained, public parks with wooded areas, anywhere dirt has been or is being disturbed like home building or tear-downs, sidewalk tear-outs, municipal clean-fill (dirt) storage, creeks and streams, and your own (or friends and relatives private property. Make sure you know who has jurisdiction of the propery you want to detect and get permission (in writing if possible). Public places are great as long as there are no signs or ordinances prohibiting metal detecting or any aspect of it. Check online for each town's ordinances. Try not to ask a cop or similar person because you will likely get a different answer every time. I hunt these types of places with no problems. I dress decently, I'm clean shaven, friendly with people who ask questions and most importantly I dig superior plugs leaving no trace I was there and of course I pick up ALL garbage I find- not just the garbage I dig. I don't act sneaky like I'm doing something wrong. I keep my lesch digger in my pouch as opposed to its sheath so I don't look like I'm carrying a weapon. I use a bonafide garden tool/ detecting digger (Lesch) as opposed to a Rambo style knife which could definitely freak someone out. I never detect schools or playgrounds while the kids are there. I only use my Samson 31" T-handle shovel back in the woods or on private property (with permission to be there). You live in an area rich with history- mainly the Revolutionary War. LOTS of goodies to be found. Do some research and try different areas and towns. You are welcome to join me detecting in my neck of the woods if you like. I'm close to Morristown. PM me if you are interested or have questions. Good luck and happy hunting. Matt

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.
Do you know where I can find a good lesch digger?
Thanks again for your help.
JP

If you don't want to mail order, Gold Digger Metal Detectors in Raritan has Lesches for around $34. Cool shop too.

Or if you want to save a little $$, you could pick up a Fiskars at Walmart for about $7. Works fairly well as long as you understand it'll probably break at some point.

I use a bounty hunter pioneer 101 metal detector. Does anyone have any experience with using that or have any tips for it.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom